PIP APPEAL HEARING EXPERIENCE - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP APPEAL HEARING EXPERIENCE

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Very glad to have you with us @male45 :)
    Scope

• male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    You're welcome. If you've waited 13 months for your appeal hearing then i've very surprised that you're still receiving the supplementary payments because they are only paid for 1 year.

You may get a different panel but i don't think it's guaranteed.
    @p@poppy123456
    Just received a letter from dwp informing me of no further supplentary payments it ended a few days ago. So you were correct poppy.
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 231 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • male45
    @justdon
    Thank you very much. I agree it's totally disgraceful. I hope I get justice soon also. 
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    male45 said:
    @Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for your kind words and support. 
    I'm just sitting waiting to see what scans if any I get back and  if they're good enough to continue with the appeal same goes for letters from OT and Physiotherapy departments.  I've got this feeling they wont be. Meanwhile I can see others who've been awarded top rates out enjoying life.
    Will update whenever I know anything more. Thanking you
    Hi @Ch@Chloe_Scope
    As promised a number of weeks ago I said I'd return and update on my OT and Physio requests for info those two departments hold on me. 
    I've received two sets of copies from both departments today. To be honest theres not much in them that different from the medical files I got from my gp. The ot mentions the apparatus I have been given and about difficulty climbing stairs that they were going to requestion from my housing authority a lift be put in from ground floor through a ceiling into a bedroom. But as I have moved to a ground floor bungalow I dont need that now but still been a walk in shower with wall mounted seat. 
    As for the physio she simply put a diagram of where I'm in pain and that she recommended that I do light exercises. I also noted on the base of one page that they have noted me down as at risk...I cant recall it now but shall read it again and update you on that 
    I have still not received any scan or mri image copies . I dont know if I will but will update if I do.
    I have not received another date yet fir another appeal, when I do I shall update on that also.
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @male45, thank you for taking the time to share this with us. I really hope the reports will be beneficial and will help your case. Fingers crossed you aren't waiting too long for the other ones either! 
    Scope

• male45
    @Chloe_Scope
    Thank you. I do too. It's been going on too long
    Best Wishes 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm not surprised @male45, fingers crossed!
    Scope

• male45
    Hi all. Just to let you know I've an pip appeal date and time for tomorrow.  Sorry for late posting but I've not been myself of late. Extremely worried that itll be postponed again as it's set for same time as before. Hopefully one before mine will finish on time. Plus it's being held in a different building in belfast compared to last time. So, will post with results soon. Going to be a long sleepless night tonight.
    Best Wishes 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Best of luck today @male45. Please let us know it goes.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • male45
    Thank you @Adrian_Scope.
    Well I had my appeal at 14.30 here in belfast. My wife and rep and I. All three of us set out in the larger room going over everything dated pre assessment  in 2018.
    Then we were called into face the panel. 
    There were three people. A male dr, a male legal person and a female disability member.
    The legal person introduced each in turn. Then said they had looked at my assessment,  looked at why I was appealing and awarded me my appeal. He said you get 4 points immediately for wearing a hearing aid that the assessor failed to admit. He also awarded me 4 points on daily living for various reasons basically for the help I need at home again he said which the assessor failed to note. 
    He then said I had to right to accept or reject their award. I looked at my wife and my rep who both nodded for acceptance.  I then said thank you I accept. And that was that we left the room .
    In all I think we were 5 minutes in and out.
    So the 4 points on the daily living bring me to enhanced rate. The 4 points on mobility give me basic mobility. This is what I had appealed on and got exactly that. Being greedy to ask for more would probably have gone against me and that would have been unwise.
    So, after 18 months of postponed appeals and lack of sleep and meetings with my rep...everything was over in five minutes.
    I want to say thank you to everyone on here for their help and support whit put I probably would not be a happy man tonight.
    Now all I have to do is wait for payment increase to come . I cant make out how much that will be but I'm hoping it will be a tidy sum.and that'll be for my new twin grand children..boys...then complete my new assessment forms that came for this year and get ready to do it all over again..
    My rep did ask that it be extended for a yr or so but was denied 
    Best wishes 
    Best Wishes 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for the update @male45 and I'm so glad to hear that you got the points you needed!
    Scope

• male45
    @Chloe_Scope thank you very much. I still cant believe how short the interview was..in fact the offer not interview. I woke up at 4am this morning thinking I had dreamed it all. My wife asked me today how I feel..I told her one lucky guy.
    I wish all here the best of luck for their appeals or assessments ahead. And once again to all for the support I've received here.
    I'll report back when I hear from the dwp about my new pip form sent in today to them.
    Best wishes.
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    @Chloe_Scope hi chloe, I received the confirmation letter today from the court tribunal outlining the points award and what rate I was put on..13 points for enhanced daily living and 8 points for mobility.  
    I was assessed in july 2018 in which I lost basic mobility and only put on standard rate daily living. 
    I was then given a supplementary payment of 67.70 (I live in northern ireland) ...I'm wondering will this be deducted from the amount they owe me from 2018 until 2019...its only paid for 12 months. It stopped for me in September 2018.. also what happens now since the tribunal a few days ago and receival of today's courts confirmation letter? How long does it take for payment to catch up?
    I didnt get to ask my rep on Tuesday as we all left the building as fast as we could incase we were recalled lol..we were in shock. I've tried counting up the amount of supplentary payment and it seems to be around three thousand three hundred for those 12 months. If they deduct all that then I doubt if a large sum of back payment will be seen in my bank account. Any thoughts or advice on this please?
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Your supplementary payments will be deducted from your backdated money, otherwise you would have received the payment twice. Backdated money can take 8 weeks and about the same time for the award to be put into place. Sometimes people receive it earlier than this but there's no times scales.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you so much for keeping us up to date @male45! I hope you are happy with the result and you can get the backdated money quickly!
    Scope

• male45
    @poppy123456 and @Chloe_Scope
    Thank you both for your continued support and advice here. Yrs I'm very happy with the result...still in shock but over the moon. I was reading somewhere that it's not confirmed until I receive a letter from dwp telling me I'm awarded it. Some said they may contest it..I hope not. Thank you poppy I had a fair idea they would deduct the supplentary payment which I think works out to be around 880 pounds or so for the 12 months from September 2018 to 2019. I wanted the mobilty back that was taken off me...mission successfull bit to get 4 more points on daily living to bring me to enhanced was really fantastic news. It's our 42 wedding anniversary on April 1st so I'm hoping back payment will be in place by then.
    Halve returned this yrs papers so waiting to hear what results the DWP come to. Hoping the appeal makes them award me without an assessment.  I'm for ESA assessment next year so having two in a row is hard going.
    Best wishes 
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    Hello @Username_removed
    Thank you for following my case. You've given very good advice on all points. I totally depended on my first rep and when I changed him my second rep spoke better explaining things to me, but like many people I took his advice also as I'd never been through an appeal before. One thing I dont understand though is point number 4 you made. Can you explain a little more on that please. I'm not hurt or angry at all by it. In fact at some points over the time it took to finally have my appeal heard I did ask her if she was really sure she wanted too and she reminded me that the rep had said he would like to ask her a question or two during the appeal hearing. So we followed his lead. My renewal forms were posted last week for this years assessment  so if I'm unlucky again to have to appeal I will go with my rep alone. I totally agree with you that asking for medical evidence can be BS my rep did say that they asked for mine due to the late hour that day.
    I voluntarily handed my driving licence back fir three reasons  1.my family asked me to because at the time I was in such pains, 2. I didnt want to drive again and 3. Driving whilst under the influence of meds is illegal. Plus a 1000 pound fine for not informing the dvlni that I am taking certain types of meds.
    I wish I hadve read your posts months ago I would certainly be much wiser prior to appeal and ask my rep more than I did. Thank you so much for all your great advice I hope others reading it will take heed and action.
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    Hi everyone. 
    I just wanted to ask do dwp have 28 full days to contest my pip appeal win? By that I mean 28 working days excluding sat and sun plus do 28 days begin on the day I won or day after? If they dont contest then is it a further 4 weeks for them to back pay me in full?  Sorry for the amount of questions here it's just I've a bit of time on my hands and too much thinking as my my is in hospital pretty I'll. 
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    @Username_removed hello mike. Thank you for your time replying I appreciate both your time and replies. I do understand what you mean by excluding my wife and on hindsight I totally agree with you. At present shes in hospital Ill  I think the last 18 months has taken its toll on her so I'm really sorry shes had to go through it all, in fact angry at the assessor, dwp the lot of them. 
    But now all I can do is wait for the next few weeks and fingers crossed everything will be well with my wife and payments etc. 
    Then look forward to next assessment in may or july this year. But I have learned lessons from the previous and will correct any mistakes this time around. 
    My best wishes
    Best Wishes 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.