Parents and wheelchairs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Parents and wheelchairs

Foney4
Foney4 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hey guys
I currently live with my parents (but I don't really get on with my dad (my rabbit passed away today and all he could say was its a rabbit)) and although they understand I have problems with my joints they don't fully understand how it affects me on a daily basis. I've been looking at wheelchairs for a little while as I get tired out really easily when we are out shopping or a family events but my parents don't really care nor understand it.
Should I go to gp about it or try and talk to them first although they don't really understand nor will let me have one

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear about your rabbit, Pets are part of the family and it's very upsetting when we lose them, regardless of what animal they are.

I'm sorry your parents are this way towards you. Having a wheelchair will help if you're unable to walk but if it's self propel wheelchair you're thinking of then this could really limit you, especially if you'll need someone to push you, then you have to rely on others to take you out.

Have you thought about a mobility scooter? I have one of these myself that i put in the boot of my car. It allows me to be able to go out on my own. Not having to rely on others when i want to go out always works for me. You can buy them quite cheap 2nd hand sometimes, just have a look on gumtree for your area, there's usually someone selling them. There's also some fairly cheap one's you can buy new but it really depends on your budget but i definitely wouldn't listen to other people, especially, if you're an adult because you have own mind.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Foney4! Welcome. 

I cried when my second cat died more than a decade ago. It was painful. I was eleven and a half that day. I don't think I stopped mourning for days afterwards. 

Definitely get a mobility scooter. You can contact Motability directly or ask around. Other companies/charities to try are Disabled Living Foundation or a mobility aids company. Or look on your local GumTree site. Someone may sell one for a low price. It is up to you. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Foney4, welcome to the community!

How are you getting on? Please do let us know if we can do anything further to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness