Spinal cord injury — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Spinal cord injury

jojo63
jojo63 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi my husband has got a spinal cord injury which has left him tetrapligic . We live in suffolk and struggle with help as no one in this area seem to no much about his disability.  We love for him to have some extra rehabilitation but there doesnt seem to be any in our area.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, so sorry to read your post, I quickly looked on line and there is help, charaties that maybe able to offer help and advice. May I sujest you goggle your question and follow up any sites that are of interest. I was, am the same as you no local MS group so we have to do a bit of research and be proactive. Have you tried your GPS. Keep us updated and continuing to post your progress. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jojo63 - Welcome to the community. Having worked in a spinal injuries unit as a physio, I can appreciate you need continuing support at home. I wonder if the following link for the Spinal Injuries Association may be helpful....apparently the trustees are all tetraplegics. Perhaps they can advise if any rehab might be available in your area. See: https://www.spinal.co.uk/
    If I can find anything else of possible use, I'll get back to you.
  • chiarieds
    Hi again @jojo63 - The only other link I could find that 'may' help is Aspire. See: https://www.aspire.org.uk/ which also contains a few other links.
    As you've said, there isn't much in your area. Which spinal injuries unit was your husband in....Stoke Mandeville or Stanmore, I'm guessing were your closest?
    Sorry I haven't been of much help, if you've already contacted the Spinal Injuries Assoc., which looks like the best resource.
    Are you receiving appropriate care & benefits for your husband? If not, others here may be better able to help you.

• jojo63
    jojo63 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thankyou for your help. We have been in touch with both those charities.  Aspire helped me sort out what benefits we were entitled to. Colin was in Sheffield spinal unit which is our nearest apparently.  Our community physio we had has now stopped coming so it's down to us to do it ourselves. I dont no if you no of any appliances out there to help him hold a pen as he used to like drawing.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @jojo63 - I'm sorry to read about your current lack of support, but pleased Aspire were able to advise about benefits.
    As far as help with drawing, please have a look at the following link. I have bought from this place myself, & there's a link so that you can get VAT relief too. See: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/household-aids/writing-aids/

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jojo63 and a warm welcome to the community. How are you doing today?
    Scope

Brightness