CBT — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CBT

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
Is it useful for depression and anxiety, and can it help with ASD? I'm going to email the people who were counselling me as they must offer it, just want some idea if it will help first.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Franstrahan, CBT can be beneficial for a range of things and is commonly used as part of the treatment for anxiety and depression. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    @chloe_scope
    Thanks Chloe. I wonder why Steps2Change haven't offered it? Been with them over 6 months now. Will email them. Thanks
  • Chloe_Scope
    I hope they get back to you quickly @Franstrahan. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    This is weird but I've been in touch with my counsellors and found out they have discharged me. This was at the point they referred me to Social Prescribing. I have re-referred myself to the counsellors online coz I've really had very little counselling, also was hoping they could offer CBT. Now on a waiting list of over 6 weeks. I didnt want to be discharged. Looking at Social Prescribing I cant see how it can help. They get you out and about doing things in the community. That's just what I dont want to do and would like to talk it through with someone in counselling. Unfortunately  the people I was with seem to be the only providers of counselling and CBT in the county. Just all seems really weird at the moment. Counsellors have put a letter in the post to me with their reasons, so that should be interesting!
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    I had CBT for contamination OCD and for social anxiety. It helped a bit.
    I’m not suggesting you won’t, just making sure you are aware: you have to be willing to co-operate with the psychologist - in my experience this involved doing “homework” tasks between sessions which pushed me far out of my comfort zone. I could have easily decided not to do the tasks (and on occasion did exactly this) but you have to really push yourself. It is hard work.
    Think of it like having an operation to cure a physical problem - there is going to be some pain involved along the way in order to get the end result.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I have not had CBT myself but have had and found useful counselling, I do have a story from a longtime friend who did have CBT.
    One of their suggestions was that they wore an elastic band round their wrist and once a day pull the band, all was well for a while until the elastic band snapped and so goes her story she then started worrying about the elastic band.
    Like everything in life some things work for some of us and not for others.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Bettahm
    66Mustang said:
    I had CBT for contamination OCD and for social anxiety. It helped a bit.
    I’m not suggesting you won’t, just making sure you are aware: you have to be willing to co-operate with the psychologist - in my experience this involved doing “homework” tasks between sessions which pushed me far out of my comfort zone. I could have easily decided not to do the tasks (and on occasion did exactly this) but you have to really push yourself. It is hard work.
    Think of it like having an operation to cure a physical problem - there is going to be some pain involved along the way in order to get the end result.
    I've read online that you have to work at it, and I thought well, I'll give it a try if it might help get me out of this. So I've re-referred myself but back of the queue again now on a waiting list.
    Would honestly prefer counselling.
    When I started counselling - this is weird too - it was half hour sessions on the phone weekly, and the counsellor broke things down into 3 categories. So, Stuff You Have To Do. Routine things, Difficult things and Pleasant things. And you had to do one thing or more off each list a day. Then she had lists of routine questions that were the same every week. We did that for a few weeks, and it didnt work for me, so went on to Skype counselling. After 2 sessions they said I wasnt ready for counselling (bit I dont understand), discharged me after referring me to Social Prescribing. So I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment with nothing happening at all and on 2 waiting lists, plus still waiting to hear from 2 other organisations I've contacted.
  • Bettahm
    woodbine said:
    I have not had CBT myself but have had and found useful counselling, I do have a story from a longtime friend who did have CBT.
    One of their suggestions was that they wore an elastic band round their wrist and once a day pull the band, all was well for a while until the elastic band snapped and so goes her story she then started worrying about the elastic band.
    Like everything in life some things work for some of us and not for others.
    Yes I'm not sure about CBT, but willing to give it a try, but would prefer counselling. Still trying to figure out why they discharged me from it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Franstrahan, this must be so frustrating! It's amazing that you are determined to seek out support. I really hope things can work out for you soon. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    @Chloe_Scope
    The bit I really dont get is why they discharged me from counselling in the first place. I'm still waiting for their letter, should get it any time soon, so will post an update here. I'm anxious to see what they have to say!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Where we live there are around four different con selling services available through the NHS including one based at the GP surgery where you can self refer.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Bettahm
    @woodbine
    Here there is only one and it provides counselling and CBT. I have self referred online, but over 6 week waiting list. 
  • Bettahm
    @Chloe_Scope
    I have the letter from my counsellor to take with me to the WCA. She says in it this is not the right time to go ahead with counselling as it would be compounding my mental health to do so. She says I have more pressing social and psychological needs that Social Prescribing will be able to assess.
    Fair enough.
    In the same post is a letter from them with an appointment for a reassessment on Dec 11. Maybe for CBT?
    One thing I remember the counsellor saying in our last session is she thought I ought to apply for PIP. I looked online and feel pretty sure I'd be wasting everybody's time coz dont think I qualify. Any thoughts?
  • 66Mustang
    Have a look at the descriptors in the link below and see if you think you would score points for any of them:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf
  • Bettahm
    One maybe.
    Think the counsellor got it wrong. Shes probably not aware of these descriptors.
    Isn't PIP what used to be called DLA? 
    Disabled Living Allowance expresses it better, I think anyway. Personal Independence Payments sounds like a totally different thing.
  • 66Mustang
    edited November 2019
    Yes PIP replaced DLA - it’s a different system though with some people not qualifying for PIP when they qualified for DLA and vice versa. 
    To get at least some PIP you need to score 8 points for either the daily living activities or the mobility activities. 
  • Bettahm
    That's bad. You would have thought they would have just switched from DLA to PIP. It's the system that changed, not them.
  • 66Mustang
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Franstrahan, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It sounds like your counsellor is wanting to get the best possible support for you which is great. Have you had chance to look at the PIP descriptors? If you have any further questions then please do let me know. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    @Chloe_Scope
    Yes I've seen the descriptors, 66mustang sent me a link, but dont think I qualify, maybe just one I thought but cant remember what it was now.
    I have the WCA on Fri, maybe they will comment on something. Another question I just thought of; will they be assessing me on the depression and anxiety or the autism? Coz I've been unable to hold down a job all my life, and that's coz of autism, not d and a.
    Thank you Chloe

Brightness