Longterm ESA stopped without warning — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Longterm ESA stopped without warning

amandaj79
amandaj79 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all, I'm just looking for some advice. Due to Fibromyalgia diagnosed 13yrs ago, I have been claiming ESA support group for over 7yrs. Due to widespread pain, severe stiffness, chronic fatigue, weakness in my back and leg resulting in me regularly falling, it affects everything I do. I need help to wash, dress, assistance to walk as I am so unsteady. I was asked to attend a face to face re-assessment over 5 weeks ago. I have been paid as normal twice since the assessment but now my payments have stopped. I have had no letter or explanation from DWP. Unable to find anything out until they open again tomorrow. I had lots of supporting evidence from my doctor. Also, a physical exam was not carried out during the assessment....only asked questions relating to what I said on the form. Can I be found fit for work without a physical assessment? The assessor asked questions, left the room, then came back and said they have all they needed. I am extremely stressed which has now caused my condition to flare up causing even more pain. Could it be that my payment day has changed.....does this happen? Any advice on what to do next will be gratefully accepted

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes, they can find you fit for work without a physical assessment, in fact i've been claiming ESA since 2013 and had 2 face to face assessments since i started claiming and have never had a physical assessment. All my work capability assessments have been based on just asking questions related to how my conditions affect me.

No, your payment day wouldn't have changed and will always remain the same. There could be a very simple explanation as to why you haven't received payment and it maybe nothing to do with your work capability assessment.  On the other hand you may have been found fit for work but it's impossible to answer that question i'm afraid.

DWP open at 8am tomorrow morning so i'd advise you to ring them but do be aware you could be waiting quite a while for them to answer so don't be surprised if you're waiting about an hour. When you ring they will tell you why you haven't received payment.

If you have been found fit for work then you'll have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) Once you've rang them, if you need more advice then please post back and someone will advise you further. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @amandaj79! Really sorry to hear that you found it a really stressful experience. Did you manage to ring up to clarify things?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.