Deck The Halls! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Deck The Halls!

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
Christmas just over 3 weeks away, Advent Sunday in a couple of days.
My decs are going up this weekend. Anybody else?

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Exciting!! Our Christmas tree is going up on Sunday. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    @Chloe_Scope
    Mines a fibre optic one. Just take it out the box, unfurl, plug in. Merry Christmas!
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We went to a garden centre today to see Christmas decorations. I am buying baubles next week. I am making a Christmas wreath tomorrow. 
  • mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    Christmas just over 3 weeks away, Advent Sunday in a couple of days.
    My decs are going up this weekend. Anybody else?
    Mine are going up this saturday because my friend is coming round to help.she wont be around again before christmas so its tomorrow or never as i cant do it on my own.
  • Bettahm
    @mrbuttons
    Seems quite a few are getting into the Christmas spirit this weekend. Theres a Christmas Fayre in my nearest town, the lights are up in the High Street.
    Growing up in London, I remember being taken down to see the lights in Regent Street and Oxford Street.
    Wonder what they're like nowadays.
    (I'm talking 1960's here. Centuries ago!)
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    decks are ready.......2 snowmen out already.....tomorrow tree goes up.....fallalalalala!
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I never look forward to Xmas because I see so little of my children and it's a battle to get them to commit to actually coming to see me. Whilst I can understand their feelings that I am not the father I could be and was when younger it still hurts that I have become more of an afterthought.

I may put some decorations up a some point but tbh, am already fed up with the bombardment of adverts, xmas programs and films and even a channel or two stating that festive entertainment has already been going on for weeks / months.

It's my worst time of year and there is no escape from the constant reminders of that.

Sorry, should have started this with "Bah! Humbug!", lol! I will try to engender some interest soon.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Bettahm
    @Topkitten
    I used to know someone who hated Christmas and went to India every year over the festive period. Alright if you can do it, but these days the festive period starts on September 1st. There is no escaping it. All for one day. It annoys me that people always think I should be invited round for dinner Christmas day, as shouldn't be on your own at Christmas. What about the other 364 days? Actually I like being on my own, so always have excuses.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every one I do hate this time of year, do think the whole Christian element has gone.
    In my previous life have been volunteering a lot of times, Crisis at Christmas.
    Until you have experienced that your heart and mind changes.
    I will be here on this forum supporting those who need a friendly kind word.
    Always on here, every year this time.
    I do not ever celebrate Christmas too emotional  and painful.
    I have thoughts feelings thoughts for those who are experiencing the loneliness first time this year.
    Give my time  give them a uplift, know am grateful to have the ability to heal and soothe those with problems.
    Use my compassion sensitivity and empathy.
    Have also used my addiction history every time, this is a big problem.
    Do get members who are having issues with addiction need a lot of guidance, support, some advice.
    Never easy.
    This is the worse time for alcoholics fears of relapse.
    Always got plenty of helplines reassurance and give what I can.
    Please just want every one to remember the important real message of Christmas.
    That is the real reason we need to think about. 

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    edited December 2019
    My decs are different this year as i no longer do christmas ,this year will be my first hanukkah. We put up lots of silver and blue decorations today, no tree, lots of lights because its a celebration of lights. It might be early but i wanted to lift the spirits in the house. Christmas was always difficult for me for various reasons so i want to mark this year and start a new tradition for myself. Must say it looks magical and sparkly.its done the job in lifting my spirits.

Whatever you are doing have a great time,enjoy it.if you are not doing anything special enjoy that too.the main thing is to be kind to yourself and dont feel pressurised to be part of some false jollity and if like me you arent going to be with family etc be extra kind to yourself, do whatever makes the time bearable.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @Franstrahan, I do understand but I used to love hosting Xmas for the family even after my second divorce, doing it all myself for 13 before the divorce and 12 after. Then I became ill, moved and had neither the space or ability any more. My sister grudgingly did it for 3 years inviting fewer each year until it was just Mum and very grudgingly, me making 6. Then she just stopped bothering and made excuses so it became me and mum but since mum died I haven't had a proper Xmas dinner for 3 years and even then the two of us had to cut many corners.

I used to love family gatherings but since I couldn't do it no one else has ever been interested. Whatever happened to "blood is thicker than water"? Seems like now everyone considers a text or FB message as all that is needed.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    I have not celebrated Xmas for many years. It is a commercial event now,with many people saying they will be glad when it is over. The stress of buying presents and feeling they have to go to parties or be with troublesome relatives literally drives them to drink. People go into debt buying presents.

I prefer being alone and enjoying the peaceful day with no traffic and no stores open.  I have no family. I cannot listen to Xmas music as I will be terribly sad.
    But just now, as I write, I feel the deep sadness underneath this day, an unloving sadness born of loneliness.
  • Bettahm
    @mrbuttons, @topkitten,@cracker

I no longer do Christmas, haven't really for years since no family now. Cant say I enjoy Christmas, except as a memory. I think it has been far too commercialized for years, and far too much pressure on people, in two ways: to overspend and go into debt. And to be forced to get together with people they dont particularly like. How rows start. I'm putting up my decs to try and cheer myself up a bit, but wont be celebrating the day or anything else. Started this thread to read all the cheery messages from others, but seems a lot of us feel the same. The lights brighten up the dark days. Your Hanukkah celebration with blue and white sounds lovely, @mrbuttons. And this year I will have a quiet Christmas reflecting on the true Christmas message, which has steadily been forgotten down the years.
  • thespiceman
    Hello every one. I wanted to add this has started the Christmas Music on Classic FM.
    I am not happy.  Why are in focused on Christmas. As a former trader and market seller.  Every year around July, true this the Toy seller federations hold annual conferences. To promote Christmas Gifts, ideas, toys etc. Absolutely barmy, got to me . First time went all the new products available, crazy.
    Yet I discussed this with some one I know Supermarkets are geared up early to make sure have enough stock in.
    I am and still amazed the audacity of the country I live in. I am truly not a happy bunny this time of year.
    Just too deep scars, when this my own personal history with  a psychotic family especially my Mother. Point scoring the other members who got the best gift to give to each other.
    Spent a member unhappy time avoiding them and their make believe world of happy loving times . Give a good impression in reality depressed, stuck in dead end jobs and marriages. One was constantly made to hide away getting  drunk, alcoholic gent I was getting away. From those who need to belittle , hurt, harm me and it all it takes is a drink . I could and did want to do the unthinkable sin every year, had to admit those feelings do not resurface this time but do understand others. Reason on the forum at Christmas time.
    My Italian friends and those from other countries are mystified and find it offensive we as a country first seem to be concentrated on self destruction and be a country wholly about get drunk, abusive and nasty over one day in the year.
    Especially those countries like Italy and Spain Catholic ones where it the charitable things you do.
    I totally agree, one friend used to know mentioned to me lad goes home no decorations and Christmas music till a least two weeks before the day. Plus the markets over there and the work are different as he added Christmas Eve the big holiday and that the next day they do celebrate but back to work and moved on.
    Christmas here continues all year why, seen enough.
    The way were are as a country can not cope. With weather or having an argument over the season.
    Been in offices hell bent on putting up Decorations soon as 1st December planning offices parties around Summer time.
    I refuse it all.
    My business involved buying and selling. You would get the following calls from some housewife. Literally wanting to sell everything to buy gifts. Why ?
    Amazed in one place turned up. This lady demanded take the pictures, sofa, three piece, anything one time she insisted go in to the garage find a loads of boxes with collectables all junk and tat.
    Not pleasant to be with some one so desperate to sell, fears, insecurities. Have to keep up with the neighbours . She so insisted that me spend money on stuff worthless.
    Frightening the calls kept coming thought, me absolutely shocked, stunned.
    One lady told me see got valuables in reality wanting me to clean out her home for one day a year so she and her husband spent money on Christmas why ?
    Then there's the debts the people amassed . Too painful and alarming.
    Does any one want to be in debt for one day in the year?  
    Could be harmful and end up being in situation far worse.
    Have met the homeless the destitute the struggling, the mentally ill at Crisis at Christmas. All of us if you have a heart try that, will change you. Salvation Army does a lot over the season.
    Used to do the kitchen volunteer. Once went with out a Christmas Lunch could be more happier given to some one else. Did not mind.
    Where were you ? Think of yourselves or think of others.
    My neighbours none  asks me anything, yet I am the one they used to turn to. Now lost the car, not a chance a knock a hoot to ask me . Can I help do you need a lift any where.
    I was the one doing that all the time.
    I learnt to forgive move on after all I am the one who has a conscious of others.
    All time favourite story of Christmas, do say this before. Apologise.
    Got a call from a Mother asked me to visit on Christmas Day afternoon. Me had a drink, the tears and the emotion of this lady.
    Said can I come tomorrow agreed after visiting. Became clear.
    Bought her daughter lots of small gifts around a number more than money could buy. Daughter teenage around crying, .
    Want rid the Mother said emerged after the last gift, around I believe  thirty small gifts. Daughter aske that it.
    Need I say more the message of Christmas thinks that summons it up, do you not think.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Bettahm
    @thespiceman
    Somehow this country has to get back to the true meaning of Christmas. Lest God forsakes the UK (if He hasn't already)
    (Early Chs. of Romans)
  • pollyanna1052
    Some sad reading here...saddens me for you who don't have family or for whatever reason you find Christmas a sad time.
    Sending you love.

Hubby and I empty nest on Christmas Day...our daughters and children are elsewhere. I hope they enjoy themselves. We spend a festive day with them beforehand.

It is what it is xxx
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a picture of my tree. 
  • thespiceman
    edited December 2019
    Hello @pollyanna1052     Apologise to you if my posts are distressing about Christmas or any of the members.I had no intention of doing that.
    Just a trauma  hard time.
    Triggers of your least favourite food very much cause memory flashbacks and upsets you, same here with me.
    No amount of counselling can help but  learnt to move on help those like me.
    In this country it is too much and find  annoying the constant splattering  of music, ads and more than that the self destruction modes of families. One of them was mine own, horrible  the continuing point scoring and intimidation to those vulnerable.
    Even now getting pain, and thinking need to find a way to cope.
    I will be Ok but it not a happy time.
    I am sorry but this is happening all over this country.
    Every one would change be different if exposed to the other side of Christmas.
    Not pleasant, please I am sorry I had to explain.
    Just had enough really. Only 1st December .
    Please take care.
    @thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Bettahm
    @April2018mom

The photo hasn't come thru for some reason.

@thespiceman

Did you see my post? I agree with you completely. Christmas is not about food & drink, families, presents, or religion.
    The true significance of Christmas will not be known until Easter.
  • pollyanna1052
    spiceman

hugs xx

Brightness