Christmas gift ideas for the visually impaired person in your life — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas gift ideas for the visually impaired person in your life

Myblurredworld
Myblurredworld Community member Posts: 11 Courageous

I’m Elin, a 21-year-old student, blogger and self-confessed shopaholic. I’m registered blind/severely sight impaired due to a degenerative condition called Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP). I’ve been documenting my experiences, thoughts and feelings towards sight loss on my blog, My Blurred World, for the past four and a half years.

As I write this, a veil of ice covers the car windscreens outside and a jingle of bells opens every other advert on the telly, this can only mean one thing - Christmas is upon us!

Many have already started, or maybe even finished, your Christmas shopping. But if you’re anything like me, you’re left scratching your head at the last minute, pondering over what to invest your pennies in for your loved ones. Perhaps that head scratching becomes even more vigorous when wondering what to buy a visually impaired person in your life. Fear not, because I’m here to share a few ideas with you.

These ideas won’t apply to every blind or vision impaired person as everyone’s preferences differ, but I hope they help to inspire a few extra scribbles on your Christmas buying list.

Something scented

Is it even Christmas if there are no bath or shower products under the tree? These classic gifts are perfect for those of us who can’t see as you don’t need to see them to appreciate it. I always have a nice perfume on my Christmas list as I love an extra addition to my collection. If the person you’re buying for loves anything home related, then how about a reed diffuser? It’s the perfect way to fill a room with a gorgeous scent without the worry that they might burn the house down with a candle!

Accessible games

If you’re one of those families who like to overcome the food coma with a good old board game, then why not invest in an accessible one which ensures the vision impaired person in your life can get involved too? If you know they love their board games, then a large print or braille classic could be right up their street.

Braille jewellery

Most jewellery is tactile and makes for a great Christmas gift, but if you’re after something a little more unique then some braille jewellery might be just what you’re looking for. It’s possible to buy accessories with braille markings on them these days. This will add more of a personal touch to any piece of jewellery you might like to give your loved one this festive season.  

Audiobook membership

If your friend or family member is a bookworm like me, then how about gifting them with an Audible membership or iTunes voucher? This means they can invest in the titles on their reading list. It might sound like something so simple but if you know that’s what they like, it could really make their day.

The final touches

One last thing, when wrapping and labelling your gifts, why not consider adding a braille or large print label to the present? If you’re with the person when they open their gift and you know they appreciate a description of the item, some details about what they’re holding once it has been unwrapped will never go a miss.

Whilst buying gifts for blind or vision impaired people might seem like a minefield, it doesn’t have to bring you any unnecessary stress or worry. At the end of the day, there’s no right or wrong option and it’s the thought that counts every single time.

Do you have any Christmas gift recommendations for blind and vision impaired people? How are you finding Christmas shopping? We’d love to hear your suggestions below!

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome @Myblurredworld!  

Audiobooks are a good idea. 

I have made a gift list already. Now I need to start shopping tomorrow. A bit of retail therapy is what I need right now. Do you love Christmas markets? I find them very accessible.

Where do I buy tactile gifts? I have searched online to no avail. My six year old sister has vision issues and she loves reading and playing cards. Do you have any recommendations for suitable presents? I need some help to choose appropriate gifts for her. Thanks in advance. 

Particularly suggestions on children’s book or games wanted!  
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @April2018mom have you tried AskSARA website?

https://asksara.dlf.org.uk/choose_topic.php?group_id=1141

Answer the questionnaire and the type of products you are looking for, and they will produce a report with a list of products that vary from a few pounds to a couple of hundred. Best of all click on something you would like to buy and it will give the options of buying, listing who sell the product, if they have a showroom, online shop or catalogue.

With regards to childrens books, though they are a lot harder to find now a decent book shop should be able to help you. I was hoping to recommend one I used to know about, the Book Boat at Greenwich, sadly that seem to be long gone now. 

If for your sister I would suggest trying to find the teachers addition of most the more popular books. These are the larger books with large print that teachers use when reading and showing the class. I have always been more than happy to buy children books as presents. Books by Dr Zeus is are one of my favourites go to. Big bright pictures and love the way he plays with words and makes reading fun.

My other favourite go to for books and presents is The Works https://www.theworks.co.uk/

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    @Myblurredworld those are amazing ideas, thankyou for sharing ?I was going to suggest something scented. I've looked on Google and found a product called a dot watch, if the person is into tech type stuff @April2018mom
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for a great piece @Myblurredworld! :)
    Scope

Brightness