Who has trouble sleeping? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who has trouble sleeping?

2»

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    went on tramadol yesterday...had chronic back pain for a few weeks....only woke once...4am.....
  • mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    Has any charity done research on the long term effects of chronic pain and sleep deprivation? So many of us live with chronic pain and lack of sleep.
  • mrbuttons
    went on tramadol yesterday...had chronic back pain for a few weeks....only woke once...4am.....
    I hope you get on with the tramadol, pollyanna1052. its an effective pain killer but some people have mood swings on it. Wishing you another good nights sleep. :)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hello @mrbuttons   How are you ?  All the advice I  found this on line, get a lot of members asking. Some time looking for you lovely members suffering.

With all my heart coping with any pain or sleep issues seen so many times been through this.  Members.

Wish I could do more. Hate to see any one in pain or having sleep problems.

Even me has them even though I try to new meds effecting, no matter how many plans in place.

Will this help have a look any problems come back see what I can do for you. Tag my name in, remember happy to help you know that as one of the community champions.

Sleep in my area forget to add went to Sleep clinics in Newcastle have a look in your area might be worth looking at.

After lifetime addiction does effect sleep.

This is the link for chronic pain, have a look.

https://www.awaywithpain.co.uk/

Hope that helps, lots of support and information to trawl through on line. Just need to do some time searching for members.

Lots in the States.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    edited December 2019
    Hello @mrbuttons   Found this on sleep.

https://sleepcouncil.org.uk

For a leaflet information line only.
    800 018 7923
    Email  info@sleepcouncil.org.uk

Hope that helps

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Rifi7
    Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    I suffer from chronic back pain and anxiety and no medication was helping and was causing side effects. Like others on this site I dread to go to bed as I can’t sleep but recently I started to try alternative ways to combat my pain and insomnia, so I’ve just recently I taking CBD oil and meditation. It’s early days but I seem to be getting more good night sleep than bad. I’m surprised more people aren’t taking CBD oil?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I have osteoarthrosis in most joints, lower back & sacro-iliac problems, & neuropathic pain. Like @Rifi7 I've been taking CBD for pain (for 16 months). It keeps my lower back pain just about under control, but unfortunately it doesn't touch my neuropathic pain.
    Each night I concentrate on my breathing to aid relaxation. This is the diaphragmatic breathing I mentioned above, which, if done properly, reduces stress.
  • Rifi7
    Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    I have been using the Linden method and also the calm app on my iPad. Where did you get diaphragmatic exercise from? Could I ask what strength CBD oil and the dosage you take?
    thank you
  • Loukas
    Loukas Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have really bad insomnia and if I pass out due to exhaustion I’m such a light sleeper anything will wake me up
  • mrbuttons
    @thespiceman
    Thanks so much i will check out the websites you have linked. Its funny i feel as if im missing out on life being awake at night and sleeping all day when everyone else is getting on with life.my sleep pattern is completely reversed. Maybe its just how my body works, been like this for deades. cant be healthy, though.our bodies need quality sleep in order to heal.
     Im not a big fan of pain killers even though i need them i would rather sleep medication because once i can sleep the pain improves.
    Thanks again for all the useful info. :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rifi7 - I used to teach relaxation exercises as a physio student, where I learnt about diaphragmatic breathing, which is what babies & young children do naturally, & adults seem to have usually lost the knack to do! I tried to explain this to someone else here who was dealing with a lot of pain, & had difficulty explaining about breathing 'wrongly' as I'm so used to breathing correctly! Here's a link to diaphragmatic breathing: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf
    As you breathe in, let your abdomen gently fill with air & rise, as you exhale let your abdomen go down again.
    I use this oil which is one of the 'starter' oils which may help with pain due to its additional CBDa : https://www.simply-cbd.co.uk/product/simplycbd-green-10ml-30ml/ I was perhaps very fortunate to come across a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SimplyCBD/ which had members who knew so much about CBD. Even 'tho I'd done a fair amount of research, I didn't know which brand of CBD might work, or what dosage. They are at pains to say start with a low dosage (1 drop 3x a day for the first week; 2 drops 3x a day the 2nd week, then keep building up an additional drop 3x a day for subsequent weeks). If your symptoms worsen, then drop back down to the previous week's dosage as this is probably where you've found the best relief. They also say it can be a bit of 'trial & error' to find out what may best help any individual, & sometimes try bringing in another oil later, or try another. This seemed to be in contrast to take a strong oil, or take 15 drops a day as advocated by other companies. The company is also very ethical, & provides lab certified results as to the oils they sell. The oil I buy is only £7 a bottle + P &P. I tend to buy 3 bottles at a time. Personally I take 4 drops 3x a day, so one bottle lasts about a month, but everyone is different as to what may work for them.
    I also need to say it's very important to discuss taking CBD with a pharmacist or your GP if taking any prescribed medications. This is because over 90% of prescribed meds are broken down in your liver by a group of enzymes that also break down CBD. Therefore a 4 hour gap is recommended if taking both (& a 2 hour gap if these are 'just' over the counter meds/supplements). This is to ensure you get both the benefit of your meds (& not an accidental overdose) & also CBD.
    So many people try CBD, & find it hasn't helped, or pay way too much, sadly.

• thespiceman
    Hello @mrbuttons    Please have a look might help you those links.

The problem are huge with sleep. Even my self may offer a lot of advice, guidance sometimes struggle to sleep.

One of the best things is a sleep diary make after any nights rest. An evaluation of reasons why.

One of the major concerns is certain conditions may will disrupt sleep. Including anxiety, medications, loneliness, pain and a  number of factors.

Including diet, nutrition and well being and health.

Eating a diet rich in vegetables, pulses beans and lean meat can induce sleep.

Have eaten Pasta or Potatoes not near to bedtime, eat late the body is digesting food.  Makes me sleepy, no caffeine or stimulants.

Coffee, tea, cola, chocolate, smoking, alcohol all disrupt sleep.

Twelve hours is the maximum time for any meal to be digested so think you eat a heavy, spicy meal around nine or later, then try to go to bed will not work.

Turn off the TV computer hard one the mobile and try to wind down.

Meditation a good therapy a good routine useful.  

Hope that helps the problem we all have but it can be addressed.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness