Rollator Running Freely - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rollator Running Freely

2»

Comments

• parkgate
    parkgate Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Dear Ami2301,

Thank You.We will try this.

I have a concern when he is going downhill - so will need to carefully proceed.

Kind Regards and have a good Christmas.
  • ayomide76
    ayomide76 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    When I started to use my rollator I had the same problem. So I used to use it with the brakes on. 
  • parkgate
    parkgate Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Do you have the brakes on lightly? - we have tried this but then he cannot then push the Rollator he has little strength.

it would help if the wheels were fixed in one direction ie don’t rotate to the side.

His reaction time is slow and one the Rollator goes I am afraid he falls.

Weights help on the flat but a slight incline gives him problems.

We have bought him a Zimmer frame with 2 wheels - but he doesn’t have the strength to continually lift it for a prolonged period.

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad weights help @parkgate :) I'm the same with inclines. To be fair, I've not been taught or shown how to safely walk on inclines, was he shown or had any advice given?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Topro troja and other makes have gutter arm rests. That means you rest your entire forearm , leaving your hands free  just to hang onto the brakes,  keeping  them half on when going downhill. 

It also  means your entire forearms  and your upper  body  weight are resisting,  if the walker decides to dart off sideways.

If that doesn't  solve it, then your idea  sounds good, for his need of blocking the thing from turning sideways too fast. 

It would need a d.i.y. person to  fix a limiter to the casters, a bit like the  blinkers on a horse. Or, perhaps,  to swap the leading (swivelling) casters with a set of fixed wheels  meant for the rear.

The drawback would be he has to lift and move it each time he actually  wants to turn left or right, but if it isn't too heavy he could do that.  He has to get on and off kerbs,  and pushing  uphill is not easy, so maybe in his case, adding sandbags isn't  ideal.

Brightness