Paying for care on holiday — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Paying for care on holiday

moonlight
moonlight Community member Posts: 19 Connected
My husband has personal care at home:... We are going away for Christmas break 
have organised myself personal care for while we are away! Due to a holiday in the summer 
our Adult Services was completely useless organising care for a week! I had to cover 2 days care.
as the temporary agency were given too shorter a notice 2 days! (5 days covered by agency)? Although we had given S Services plenty of notice to just organise care  we were not going that far!
6 weeks notice! ......and stupid nonsense about ‘unusual to provide care out of county’! We were only 25 miles away!?  Different council few years ago there was no problem organising care for 250 
miles away in Devon!  Man point in all of this is why should disabled people be deprived of having 
a holiday? There should not be hassle organising through council ! ...Which brings me to my main point
Can We have the invoice sent direct to our council? Don’t see why we should pay? as no care will be needed as we will be away so it should not be a problem......incidentally no contact from Adult Care 
since November last year ? No we have not told council about our plans ...so don’t see why we cannot send them invoice as they handle the care anyway?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I suspect you can't unless you get agreement first. Things have changed a lot in recent years, sorry.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• moonlight
    Thanks for reply, they would have to pay some of it as there not giving care 
    for a time we are away! So would pay in proportion for our being  away!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @moonlight, I agree that you should be more than entitled to the care, especially with the length of notice. Due to this not being agreed beforehand I don't believe the bill would be expected. It is possible when you have a care review that this could be included in his plan and therefore it should be easier for you all to go away.

Please do let us know and I hope you have a great time when you are away. :)
    Scope

• moonlight
    Our Council are useless! they’ve not reviewed both of us since November last year!
    lots of changes have happened but they have not one even asked ‘How are you getting on’! 
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Our councils no better full of greedy people who waste thousands on nothing. If fact on anything bar disabled people
  • Chloe_Scope
    Sorry to hear this @moonlight! You are able to request a review or make a complaint about the care. I hope this helps to get things more appropriate. I went two years without a review because I wasn't aware it was meant to happen yearly. I hope a review helps to get you both the support you need.  
    Scope

• moonlight
    Thanks Chloe 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I`ve just gone through a review after asking for more help, as we were near breaking point.
    For several years, I`ve had 28 hours plus 2 sleepovers a week.

I also had a respite fund and was told to use it as I feel I need it.

So I have been taking holidays and paying for me and my carer`s hotel, travel, food. Plus carer`s wages.

The review gave us no extra hours, but re-jigged how they are used. It took some resisting but had to go with it.
    I have now been told I have to pay for my holidays for me myself, but can still pay carer`s expenses with respite fund.

I said I cant afford that, so the alternative is for me to go into nursing homes for my holidays! The council will pay that. It will give my hubby a break!

Rules change and they don't tell us until we ask for a review.

I`ve also recently been forced to make a contribution towards my care....even though we have no savings. I was asked to pay £82 a week....I argued...they asked for £57 a week....I argued and am paying £39 a week now. 

The council now get 50% contribution from Continuing Health Care (NHS)

• Chloe_Scope
    Hi @moonlight, how are things going?
    Scope

• moonlight
    Hi Chloe_Scope Well we went to that Hotel (no wetroom )!: But we managed!
    Monday before Christmas we arrived and met manager Helping Hands did assessment
    the carers came out as per arrangements week was ok. Waiting for invoice!
    im tempted to send to our Adult care office! What can they do? No care needed that week as we were away (our home) No I never made arrangements what can they say?
    Because: Last July made arrangements with S S for THEM to make arrangements for care for one week away at disabled caravan gave them 6 weeks notice!?But Social worker only made the arrangements 2 days before we went! We complained after getting back ‘Excuse was not used to arranging care out of county’ what utter@%#&@!
    well I can make arrangements without a problem! Why should disabled people not have 
    care help when on holiday? Not everyone’s savvy to make own arrangementsSorry for long reply!?Happy new year: Mmmm makes me think SS not making arrangements 
    yet for fresh assessment! So they can hardly moan at me! ??

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    moonlight said:
    Hi Chloe_Scope Well we went to that Hotel (no wetroom )!: But we managed!
    Monday before Christmas we arrived and met manager Helping Hands did assessment
    the carers came out as per arrangements week was ok. Waiting for invoice!
    im tempted to send to our Adult care office! What can they do? No care needed that week as we were away (our home) No I never made arrangements what can they say?
    Because: Last July made arrangements with S S for THEM to make arrangements for care for one week away at disabled caravan gave them 6 weeks notice!?But Social worker only made the arrangements 2 days before we went! We complained after getting back ‘Excuse was not used to arranging care out of county’ what utter@%#&@!
    well I can make arrangements without a problem! Why should disabled people not have 
    care help when on holiday? Not everyone’s savvy to make own arrangementsSorry for long reply!?Happy new year: Mmmm makes me think SS not making arrangements 
    yet for fresh assessment! So they can hardly moan at me! ??

Be careful about asking for a new assessment....We did that and have had horrendous problems. I wish I hadnt done it
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @moonlight, I'm glad you had a good time and managed to sort things. I can completely see why you'd be frustrated by this!
    Scope

Brightness