Community Christmas Dinner — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Community Christmas Dinner

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
Everyone has their different favourite foods and recipes for this time of year and the sight of an enormous (and excessive) Christmas spread has always appealed. So, if you were coming to an online community Christmas party, what one special Christmas food would you bring, what dish could we not do without?
Starters, mains, sides, desserts and snack ideas are all welcome! (And if you're feeling really brave, share your recipe!)
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    edited December 2019

(Ours did not look like this.)

I’m not much of a cook, so I’d go for something really simple that looks impressive, at least to a small child. Last year we had a go at making a Nutella Christmas tree. It was simple, cheap and completely indulgent. (Here's how you can make your own!) Owing to allergies we switched Nutella for dairy-free chocolate spread and egg wash was replaced with almond milk, but it still ended up looking pretty ‘spectacular’. This year my eldest two are making it alone and have said they’ll be adding Smarties as baubles over the ‘branches’. I get to clean up the aftermath.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is what I would bring:

Coffee
    Mulled wine 
    Turkey
    Pigs in blankets
    Vegetables
    Sweets
    Fruitcake
    Baked apple 
    Pies

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    As you've asked for 1 special thing, then mine would be roasted chestnuts and sprouts. I know sprouts aren't to everyone's liking but i love them and a Christmas dinner would never be the same without these together because the chestnuts compliment the sprouts perfectly....yummy!

I slit the skin of the chestnuts and roast them in the oven for about 20 minutes. Once cooled a little i peel them, put them to one side then add them to the sprouts while they are cooking. It's time consuming so i usually prepare the chestnuts on Christmas eve and cook a few extra for myself to eat :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    It would have to be a giant bowl of buttery mash potato and roasted parsnips!  <3
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    I'm with you on the pigs in blankets @April2018mom. They're probably my favourite part of a Christmas dinner. 

@poppy123456, I'm not a fan of Brussels sprouts at all, but it definitely wouldn't be the same without them and my other half trying to hide one of them on my plate. The rest of the family love them too, so I'd not be forgiven if we stopped having them. We haven't had chestnuts in years, mind. Time to add them to the shopping list!

Mash potato rather than roast potatoes @Chloe_Scope?! :o Sacrilege.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Mash is far superior @Adrian_Scope!!  :D
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    I feel I will be outnumbered on this view!  :D 

Please say there is someone out there who thinks mash is just amazing!  ;)
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    You might be waiting a while!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    More mash for me!  :D
    Scope

• poppy123456
    You might be waiting a while!

Still no one wanting the mash... i think you're right on this one @Adrian_Scope :D
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    I'll hide a roast potato in your mash :D

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
    I'll bring the cranberry sauce, to put on the roasties  ;)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Chloe_Scope
    Mash all the way for me too my must have on any roast dinner. Xmas dinner has to have roast parsnips and roast carrots 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Chloe_Scope   Well why not just add remember mash can be the following.

As I know myself.

Might change a few minds here.

Carrots, Swede Potato Mash with Crème Fraiche a dollop of .

Or Italian ones of course.

Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Butternut Squash with Parmesan Cheese mixed or with Mascarpone.  Butter stir in, end .

Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes and Carrots with roasted in the oven with Olive Oil. Garlic and sear usually around a medium heat.

Remove add Lardons or Pancetta cubes sear those crispy.

Remove gentle crush mix together with Milk, or  Crème Fraiche, Parmesan and serve.  Knobs butter end stir in residual heat melts.

Not a lot of Cheese got that salt in the Pancetta.

Cheese is used as savoury seasoning.

Not for the fainted hearted either just a bit rich for me wonderful.

Please any ideas you wish for my friend the line is always open.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @poppy123456   Great ideas but something different.

Fry off Garlic, Pancetta cubes or Lardons mix in the Sprouts with Chestnuts.

Garlic when seared or roasted becomes caramelises .

Not Garlic strong but like soft and squidgy if not like Garlic do the same with Onions.

Bueno Appetito

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    edited December 2019
    Hello @Adrian_Scope   Recipe King here any one stuck for ideas bored with any thing want something different please ask.

I have a wealth of knowledge and expertise. Christmas is a celebration of the birthday of Christ our Lord Jesus.

Not have to be   Roast Turkey can be either some thing different..

Done Turkey Meatballs with Pasta Chilli Sauce.

Turkey Thighs Slow Cooker Red Peppers, Onions, Zucchini and Potatoes.

Sauce The Jar of Red Roasted Peppers blitzed up with Passata, Tom puree, Touch of Red Wine Vinegar and Herbs. Rosemary, Thyme.

Salmon or Trout Hazel nuts and Pancetta with Four Cheese Sauce easier than you think.

Guinea Fowl with Prosciutto wrapped around and served with selection of vegetables, Celeriac, Carrots, Potatoes.

Roasted in the Oven Olive Oil and Garlic.

Herbs used Rosemary or Fish used Parsley.

These ones  used to do for friends and really now never do.

Reason why the time I get friends who ever they are call me.  Hissy fits and much more, save the day.

All got one thing in common.

All easy help yourself and does not take long to do.   

Sweets Deserts, Panettone  is a fruit cake from Italy, various ones have dried fruits, Apricots, Peaches, Pears and Lemons.

Serve it with Ice cream or serve Mascarpone  cream.

Mascarpone is a rich cheese which is used in Deserts, among other things.

In a bowl add a dollop of Mascarpone with one teaspoon of Icing Sugar sprinkle of Cinnamon and Lemon Juice I use a bottle easier.

Whisk together ideal on any puddings, sweets, fruit and anything like Rice Pudding.

Do Rice Pudding Italian Style or Turkish Style.

Cold Rice Pudding make it or use a Tin layer this up . Put  a dollop of Lemon Curd bottom of a desert glass or use a Martini Glass , Cocktail one.

Or use Cherry Preserve Turkish Rice Pudding.

Layer this up with Biscotti or use Almond Biscuits . Crushed .

Layer of Rice plus Biscuits plus some chopped nuts Walnuts or Pecans.

Top with Cinnamon.

Vegetarians  lots of ideas make it simple, nothing very complex.

Starters Soup Butternut Squash great one.

Does not have to Nut Cake or Veggie Cakes.

Mains.

Done Aubergine Italian Style with a range of Onions, Tomato sauce and used Chillies just in the Oven with Cherry tomatoes tin at the end.

Used a Slow Cooker before.

Zucchini, Peppers Cherry Tomatoes combinations with Potatoes work well in a Tomato herb flavoured sauce.

Serve with Rice or Pasta or use Tinned Pulses. Chickpeas work here or Lentils.

Again use Slow Cookers.

Winter Veggies so many Cabbages, Calvo Nero, Celeriac, Sweet Potatoes all work well with Carrots, Celery Onions.

In a Tomato Sauce, Rosemary, Thyme, Sage all work well here.

Puy Lentils vacuum packs or Tins plus use Butter Beans.

One Pots great, every one serve them selves.

Vegan ideas. Nothing wrong using those above recipes for vegetarians.

Curries spring to mind using Roots and a Curry Paste service with Chickpeas and Lentils.

Use a Balti mix.

Add in seasonal fruit like Pineapples or Mangoes or dried Sultanas.

Cashew Nuts not salted ones.

After wards selection of Fruits, Nuts. Use Tofu get the silken ones to drain. Dice up and add to a Raspberry Puree using frozen Raspberries defrosted blitz up touch icing sugar and lemon juice .

Add in Tofu whisk up.

Serve with fruit and nuts any that you like.

Please contact me any one happy to help be on here anything I can assist with.

Got loads of recipes, books, ideas, suggestions and much more.

No problems.

One final point make it easy.

My favourite story had a former friend do her first big inclusive family meal by the end of it crying with everything a disaster.

I was near by came to the rescue .

Main point use common sense make it simple, make it easy.

Uses cheats, store cupboards, freezer fridge.

End of the day your with friends, family make it enjoyable who wants to be stuck in a kitchen like my former friend since early Christmas Morning to late evening no thanks.

I would be organised plan be sensible another tip.

Happy eating every one.

Myself Wednesday next week Soup Sandwich day sorry just another day for me.

Like my veggies midweek, might think and do a Chickpea Ragu one or the other, helps me a lot be a quiet day.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'll hide a roast potato in your mash :D

@poppy123456!! Now that's just going to ruin the mash!!  :D 

janer1967 said:
    @Chloe_Scope
    Mash all the way for me too my must have on any roast dinner. Xmas dinner has to have roast parsnips and roast carrots 
    Thank you @janer1967!! That sounds perfect!  <3  (see @Adrian_Scope and @poppy123456 ;) )

*hides the mash away from Poppy and shares with Janer1967*

Mash anyone?

@thespiceman, this sounds amazing! I used to do swede or sweet potato mash to go on top of a vegetarian shepherds pie, very tasty!
    Scope

• poppy123456
    @Chloe_Scope now don't be silly, you'll just have those lovely roasties somewhere on your plate. :D and lumpy mash to go with it.... yummy :#
  • Chloe_Scope
     :D@poppy123456! My mum makes the best mash ever! Although the rest of the family are won over by roasties! 
    Scope

Brightness