Chronic migraines causing depression and anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chronic migraines causing depression and anxiety

Natalie1406
Natalie1406 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have been diagnosed with chronic migraines this year. This is causing depression and anxiety. I am trying to stay working but am unable to work full time currently. I would like to get back to full time work and full health but realistically I have just have to get used to the pain and restrictions.

Comments

• Connie00
    Connie00 Community member Posts: 252 Pioneering

Hello @Natalie1406

My Name is Connie00

I am one off the community Champion’s here at Scope.  it’s really nice to meet you.

A very warm welcome to the Community. Thank you for reaching out to us, ,I am so sorry

to hear you are suffering so much  yes you are correct  you do have to embrace the fact that your life at this time is ruled

around your condition its a very hard condition because it has a very big impact on you life, there are many issues with it some people are very sick other cant take any light as well as dealing with pain that feels like your head is going to explode. you cant work when you have these episode.

so depending how often you have these, will depend entirely what kind of work you can do, also you need to be aware of the triggers to you migraines,  is the medication your are taken the right medication for you. I have added a link for you to browse through, meanwhile we do have Migraine Suffers on this forum  perhaps you could share tips.

https://lifeeffects.teva/eu/migraine?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search_UK_EN_Migraine_BMM&utm_term=+Chronic +Migraines&utm_content=Chronic Migraines

We are always here to lend support, help, and advise where we can,

If we can be of any assistance to you please don’t hesitate to contact us

@connie00 :) 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Natalie1406 - Welcome to the community. I'm very sorry to read about your problems; it must be very difficult to face. I hope Connie's link is insightful, & I'll also ask my friend @thespiceman to help, as he has many resources to help your mental health.
  • nanook
    nanook Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi @Natalie1406 I too am a chronic migraine sufferer, and I'm sorry you are having difficulties continuing work.

I've managed to reduce mine with a combination of methods, maybe something similar to mine would help you?
    Mine are triggered by certain foods ( cheese choc caffeine processed foods ) bright lights so I wear tinted glasses, I take migraine prevention pills at night and wear a gum guard at night as tooth grinding was contributing.

They arnt gone but the severity is reduced, hopefully you can narrow down what is making yours worse and have a lot less pain and discomfort

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hello @Natalie1406    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear what you are going through.

My friends  @Connie00 and @chiarieds     have been supportive.

I am a member of the community champions team.

Please if I can explain also have a  lot of knowledge, expertise on mental health.

Been with anxiety, depression for a long time, used a lot of the links .

Does help.

Please if I can suggest the following.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Last one is an advocate charity deals with NHS service problems with mental health services and Doctors.
    Speak on your behalf the opportunity to discuss anything.

You can self refer the first one and second one both offer help, support with floating and outreach workers.

Assist and guide you with well being, health advice. Benefits, work employment anything else.

Might not be in all areas.

Please contact me if any questions.

Happy to answer, offer compassion, empathy and sensitivity.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Natalie1406
    Natalie1406 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you everyone. Yes I am trying alot of dietary things so no caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, dairy and I am also trying to improve my daily intake of food as I don't always eat much.

I also have a twilight setting on all technology, I wear all round shades most of the time over my prescription glasses and when I drive and at night when I drive I have the same type of shades with orange lenses. 

They have me on so many tablets I feel like I should rattle. It makes me sleepy and dizzy at times so I am trying to get off something. 

I am due to go to The Walton Centre in February for the nerve blocking injections. So let's see what they can do.

I am also starting meditation course in January too. 

I have been stamping my feet a bit and making sure they listen. As the GP wanted to sign me off sick again 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Natalie1406 and a very warm welcome to the community! I really hope the appointment in February is beneficial for you. :) 
    Scope

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hello @Natalie1406  welcome to the community. It must be a lot for you. Just know that the community and Scope Team are here if you need anything. 

Brightness