Craft ideas — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Craft ideas

Rifi7
Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
I’m looking for a hobby to occupy me but when I’ve looked online for kits, their pretty basic. I’m looking for something to challenge me. Any ideas?

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What about patchwork? 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Have you thought about cross stitch. It will keep your mind occupied. I used to do cross stitch all the time. I do lots of craft work now (when my body will allow me to) and have turned my hobby into a business.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rifi7 what type of kits are you looking at?

Basic and starter kits can be a good introduction to a new hobby, by nature their simplicity means you will learn quickly if it is right for you before a large outlay. For some hobbies if you have no or little experience they can be a good introduction to the basic skills and as you develop you can introduce new tools and learn how to do more complicated things.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rifi7, I think this is a really interesting topic! Since not being able to go out as much as I liked, I started to learn to crochet. This was all done with online tutorials and was something I picked up pretty quickly! Yet the complexity of it completely depends on what you would like to make. I am currently doing a very simple stitch for a blanket which means I can easily do it while watching TV or when my brain has turned to mush! But I like to do small projects that are more complicated which gives me something to properly focus on. :)
    Scope

• RainbowJo
    RainbowJo Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    knitting. 
    crochet. 
    diamond painting. 
    beading
    painting
    colouring

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    A hobby I enjoyed for many years was embroidery. It is one of  those where taking the time to learn the basic stitches and techniques can open up a whole range of projects, my favourite projects were creating unique clothes for my daughter from items bought of the shelf. Something which can be done after learning just a few basic stitches. A simple guide to embroidery can be found at https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/stitches-every-embroiderer-should-know-4122123

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Colin123
    Colin123 Community member Posts: 134 Pioneering
    Hi
    I like pyrography , making pebble framed pictures with a verse, drawing with pencil . photography and gardening, I try to be positive, it is hard to get going , sometimes weeks Hope you don't mind all the pics so I can share my hobbiesd the inmimind 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Fantastic work @Colin123 :) I love the Peaky Blinders ones! Perhaps you'd like to check out our KaleidoScope thread for all things arts and crafts, if you haven't already? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness