ESA appeals — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA appeals

DebraJane
DebraJane Community member Posts: 25 Listener
Hi waiting for my ESA appeals received letter this morning from DWP saying they are paying me £73.10 while waiting for my appeal not saying when I will receive it though any ideas please and do I have to get in touch with them thank you any advice pls 

Comments

• Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    you you get that till you go to tribunal takes long while 
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    You also get back dated 
  • DebraJane
    Thank you do you now how long it takes for this to be awarded there’s no date when I will receive it also do I have to send medical certificates thank you for your reply x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You will need to ring DWP to ask when you'll receive it because we can't tell you that. If it's New style ESA or the old Contributions based ESA that you're claiming then it's only paid for 1 year unless you're placed into the Support Group. If you're placed into the Support Group by the Tribunal then you'll receive backdated money. The only downside is that waiting times for hearings are huge and lots of people are waiting about a year for a hearing date.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DebraJane
  • DebraJane
    Do o have to get medical certificates to get this thank you 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2019
    DebraJane said:
    Do o have to get medical certificates to get this thank you 

Yes, you will need to send fit notes from your GP and they will need to be backdated to the date you were found fit for work and you'll need to continue to send them while you wait for the Tribunal to make a decision.

May i ask which ESA you're claiming? Is it New style ESA, the old Contributions based or Income Related?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • DebraJane
    I’m sure it was the old style ESA I won’t be able to get Doctors appointment for roughly 2 weeks will I receive money before they receive fit note thank you 
  • poppy123456
    When did you first claim ESA?

Unfortunately, you won't receive any money until you send that fit note. Make sure it's backdated too, otherwise you won't receive the backdated money from when you were found fit for work.
  • DebraJane
    I had my assessment September received letter beginning of October saying i scored 6 points so money stopped then I had been receiving it for roughly 3-4 years 
  • poppy123456
    That will be the old legacy ESA. As soon as they receive that fit note then you'll receive the money that's owed to you. I'm assuming you didn't claim Universal Credit?
  • DebraJane
    No I haven’t claimed anything did not think it would take that long for decision thank you for your help 
  • DebraJane
    If I send a fit note in on Wednesday how long do you usually have to wait for payment also will my Doctor issue me with one back dated till September.  Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    There’s no timescales but hopefully it won’t take too long.

I have no idea if your GP will agree to a backdated fit note but you should tell him/her the reasons why you need it backdated and make sure you know the exact date you were found fit for work and make sure it’s dated from that date. If it’s not backdated you will lose all that money they owe you.
  • DebraJane
  • DebraJane
    Received today large brown envelope of DWP copy of appeal papers also they have sent copy to Tribunals service    What happens next please   Any information Thank you
  • poppy123456
    That will be the "bundle" you should go through everything that's in that and make sure everything is correct.

Now all you do is wait for a hearing date but it could be a year from the date you requested it. In the meantime you need to make sure that all your evidence is sent to HMCTS along with your written submission.

If you don't understand what you need to do or you don't understand what's in the bundle then you should get face to face advice from an agency near you and take your bundle with you for them to have a look.
  • DebraJane
    Good morning Seen Doctor this morning back dated fit note also gave me one until March my daughter sent them straight away by link DWP Sent me had message to say they received them how long do I have to wait for payment any idea please.    Regards Debra
  • poppy123456
    I'm glad you were able to backdate that fit note. As for your money then i'm afraid the only ones that can answer that question is DWP and you'll need to ring them to ask.
  • DebraJane

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.