Food Larders — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Food Larders

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
Has anybody heard of these? I read about them somewhere a while ago. Like food banks, only you pay £1 a week to belong (same criteria as food banks here, financial hardship) but instead of going in and being handed a food parcel, you actually go round the shelves with a member of staff choosing stuff you like to eat! I'm a picky eater, don't like a lot of stuff, and often have to take a lot of what I get back. Which sort of defies the purpose really. Just thinking about it because I've had a Christmas hamper which is lovely of them, but about half of it I dont like. I will return it for someone else of course. But roll out the Food Larders!

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Franstrahan if you google community larder you may be able to find if there is one near you.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Bettahm
    @Geoark
    No there isn't one round here. Is there one in your area? Think they are a much better idea than food banks. Wouldn't take too much effort to convert the food banks to larders, I'd have thought.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Franstrahan while I like your enthusiasm for community larders I am not sure that the community larder model is the best for every situation.

For example foodbanks set up to provide food for those with no access to public funding would not work on a model where users have to pay a regular amount, or for those in short term financial stress. 

There are also other social models, such as community supermarkets, where food is sold at huge discounts. Stocking shelves with food from different companies, and in some cases food that would not normally make it to the stores, with 50 - 80% reductions.

Each serve a different function and criteria can vary from one to the next. Also the facilities that are available can vary a great deal.

I am not aware of one locally, however my other voluntary involvement has meant that I have had the pleasure to see some of these models in operations at a local level. At one point we were looking to growing fruit and vegetables with the idea of holding a community market where residents could buy what it grew with the money going back into the project. Sadly it was voted down. It did mean I did some research into what others communities were doing.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Bettahm
    Would just like when I go to the food bank to get food I can actually eat. I'm on universal credit.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hello @Franstrahan   Please can I advise as recipe king on this forum, have a lot of ideas.

One is to consider looking at a stocklist of what you do like make it to your own tastes.

Also be seasonal.   Which means buy produced right now for Winter and so on through the year.

Ideas you mentioned vegetarian diet great, lots available.

Look on websites find ideas to suit your budgets and expenditure.

A few other suggestions the B.B.C do these books simple recipes to follow.

Cheap eats, Budget eats, Store cupboard suppers and so on.

On line always looking for books.  Jack Monroe has published several books. One I have is Tin Can Cook.

Trust me true and amazing.

I use a variety of produce from tins, jars and use a lot of short cuts.

Think how and when to use food a different way, chef call these tumble downs.

Example you like the other day Sausage stew.

Any left over make a soup add in Pasta or Rice or Tinned Pulses.

Microwaves a portion of hot water a handful of Pasta and salt microwave a few minutes.

Careful draining  add to slow cooker same with Rice can microwave a portion buy those all ready to do so.

This time of year all of us struggle with shops crowded, bills need to use up food, stores.

Can help anytime, just contact me.

I have to and am very savvy have to be because food is expensive in this country and we need  to realise that.

Made call it brunch Bean, Pasta soup.  Using tinned Spaghetti, Jar Pasta Sauce, Stock, Tinned Pulses.

In fridge when ready have a bowl of something like that fills you up and stops snacking.

I actually have this for breakfast and a portion for lunch, with bread. All day warmth heat up portions in the microwave.

That is another thing any time need to be eat does not have to be regimented set times adjust it to suit you. Pace it out.

Had Pasta evening meal wait another half hour pudding, sweet with fruit, full up.

Learnt that from experience.

Please any problems speak to me.

Happy to help anytime, one big help for you be freezer.

Buy a non defrost one, no de-icing no need uses a fan system.

If I recall Curry's be the one to talk to new year coming up. Might be worth a visit.

Please hope you keep safe and warm, take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @thespiceman I can second jack monroe's latest book. Cant remember the title but I've cooked a few of the recipes and really cheap to make. I always feel hungry after reading your cooking posts?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello     @Cressida   guess what so do I after writing one recipe out and then realised that is another one to add to here.

A lot of those books great and cheap can adapt to any thing make it your own.

We sort of snobby in this Country with food items and essentials a named brand.

Did you know an interesting day out, believe you will enjoy it.

Go to food factories, many are open to the public . You see products made, have a tour. Eat in the factory shop canteen. Shop for products.

One thing you find is the large food factories, actually I did know this.

Those products labelled made for Aldi or Lidl stores or own brand supermarkets are made in the same food factory.

Been to Baxter's, Walker Crisps, Heinz,  Port Sunlight Lever Bros.

Lots of offers, coupons freebies.

I forget like a food product write to them,my Italian favourites send you recipes by E mail and sign up to websites.

Napolina, Circio , and others.

Mailing lists, new products to try. Something to ask, think about in these poverty times. 

Same with TESCO sign up Email get coupons, gifts, rewards.

Used to know people who would search the supermarket web pages for coupons, offer.  Down load and print off.

Saved a fortune, in shopping as I do going on line.

Please if I can ever help with anything foodie am here.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness