Esa Medical Review — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa Medical Review

Tina66
Tina66 Community member Posts: 56 Connected
Happy New year. My brothers esa Medical Review is end of May. I ring to ask when his forms will be sent out and it varies from March till after May, they don't give me the same information just when his review is. Does anyone please have a better idea? Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Happy New Year to you too.

Timescales for ESA are just a guide and nothing more because with the work capability assessment you can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months. Unfortunately, no one ever knows exactly when that form will arrive. All he can do is make sure he has evidence to support his claim ready for when it does arrive. Other than that there's nothing else he can do.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tina66
    Hi Poppy, thank you so much, just so I can be sure, his review is end of May, the earliest we can expect forms is end of February (as I will have to help him)? 
  • poppy123456
    No problem.

That is not correct. They can review him anytime from 3 months, this means that you or he won't know when that form will arrive. ESA is an ongoing award unless found fit for work.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tina66
    What's the point of the date they give as the review then ?
  • poppy123456
    It's just a guide and nothing more. This is the reason why ESA decision letters never ever have an award length of time on them. Ringing DWP to ask how long the award is for, is pointless.
  • Tina66
    Honestly, what a pain. They always give me the exact award date when I ring however, and they have been doing so for the last year, so you can understand why I am confused for brother. 
  • poppy123456
    It's impossible for them to give you an exact award date for ESA because there's no exact award dates. You can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months. ESA is an ongoing award unless you're found fit for work.

I've been claiming ESA in the Support Group since 2013 and i've never had an award date.
  • Tina66
    I believe you as you have helped me re my brother accurately every time but this is what they tell me. 27th May 2020
  • poppy123456
    Thanks. My knowledge of the benefit system is quite extensive. They've most likely taken that date from the timescale that was given for the last decision but as i said, it doesn't mean anything.
  • blue32
    blue32 Community member Posts: 52 Connected
    Yes can be anytime my ESA review is almost two years over the date and I've heard nothing
  • Tina66
    Really appreciate help and advice, thank you both  ?
  • Tina66
    Sorry me again, very quick, just to ask, today when I phoned ESA for my brother and asked about his review, irrespective of the date they gave etc, if the medical questionnaire had been  sent out to him say today for example would the man have had this information when he was looking at my brother's details on screen to tell me ...? ? 
  • poppy123456
    No because the work capability assessment isn't sent from DWP, it comes from the health assessment providers. This is the reason why they never come in brown envelopes, always white ones and this is even more of a surprise when they do arrive.
  • Tina66
    Thanks again Poppy ?
  • poppy123456
    I know it's really stressful but try to forget about it because it's not going to help to constantly think about it, it will only cause you even more stress. My way of dealing with things like this is to put them as far to the back of my mind as possible otherwise my conditions will only get worse through worry and stress. I know it can be difficult to do this all you can in the meantime.
  • Tina66
     ❤️ Thank you ?
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome! :)
  • Tina66
    Me again, I rang pip for my brother and woman on phone spikr
  • Tina66
    Me again, I rang pip for my brother and woman on phone told me she spoke to case manager and reviews are still 12mths and not 6 months. My brother heard this, snatched phone and starting panicking and getting angry because last time we were told 6 mths. I calmed him down and woman was very nice. He then started to worry that because of outburst his claim would be effected but woman said no, only when review is due will any changes happen and nothing to worry about but he doesn't believe me. ?
  • poppy123456
    Yet again the advice you were given by DWP is not correct. I can assure you that PIP reviews if you were awarded by a Tribunal are most definitely 6 months before and not 12 months before. Very few DWP advisers know this because there wasn't a formal announcement.

My PIP ends in October 2020 and previously i would have received my forms in October 2019 BUT because of the changes in review times i haven't yet received them. I will receive then in April.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.