Law change mobility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Law change mobility

blue32
blue32 Community member Posts: 52 Connected
Another question on pip lately everything's hitting me at once anyway I got a letter 6weeks ago saying due to a change in law they looked at my mobility part from my assessment were I got 4points mobility and that there is to be no change.

However I think I meet the criteria so I rang... And was told I could appeal the later doesn't say this or a timeframe on the phone the lady said I have up to a year but I trust nothing they tell me although she was really nice then I was out to a DM who basically said the same I found this strange as I have no form and the letter doesn't say I can appeal it just says looked again etc and that it's the same 4 points prior to this I was on dla low mobility high care. Now I'm on enhanced pip my support worker though has got me to sign a mandate has my pip medical report and says I meet the description for 10 and 12 points she seems hopeful and says it could be 1000s of pounds my question is is this true that I have a year why doesn't the form say I can appeal is this like a Mr and can I take it even further if unsuccessful  anyone challenges this based in this court ruling even after they said they've looked again and still no change

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,318 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

All decisions can be challenged by first requesting the MR then Tribunal. Yes, with good reason you do actually have 13 months but you must give a reason why you didn't request it within the first month.

Whether or not you'll score more points for the following and planning a journey part of mobility will totally depend on how your conditions affected you at the time that decision was made, when ever it was. They will not consider any worsening of condition since that decision was made.

You really should get some expert face to face advice from an agency near you before you request the MR.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    The letter you received about looking at your award again and no change dose inform you that you can appeal, mine came the other day. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @blue32, how are you getting on?
    Scope

• blue32
    Hi Chloe update.

I rang 3 weeks ago they were claiming not to have the form that a charity who support me helped me with. Also I must add on my original letter it DID NOT say I could challenge this just that they looked again and the decision was still 4points... Anyway they have the form I rang yesterday got the bog standard 10weeks type thing from there script after pressing the man said I can see it's with someone called Tracey but can't say how long it will take.... I will ring again Monday though nothing can be a guarantee but the charity helping me and who have new me a number of years think I may have a chance of some kind of award in there own report they state I was sweating distressed required promoting throughout from a patent arrived via taxi and describe paranoid thoughts consistent with diagnosis and medical history it does say I was doing driving lessons until 3momths before assessment but changed instructors 5 times due to patanopa thoughts and had stopped maybe they will use that against me. My support worker from the charity has dealt with a lot of these and feels description e and f is approppappr for me especially at the time of the assessment (3 years ago) 
  • blue32
    My support worker says my letter in certain parts is different to others she has saw regards this court ruling and feels they may have hoped I won't pursue this but can't prove this she did mention it in my MR with a photocopy of the letter. It also took weeks and weeks for them to day they have my MR and various calls to the point someone suggested it may be lost in future I am recording delivery anything I have to send DWP. Also I have also been the victim on two occasions of crime in 2009 and 2012 on public transport and they mention this on my assessment to there's a load of other stuff on my MR but can't remember it all other than previously mentioned 

The whole thing has drained me mentally and physically and in all honesty I wish I hadn't bothered if my MR is unsuccessful I can't face the appeal judge thing IL just be leaving it as it is.
  • poppy123456
    blue32 said:
    My support worker from the charity has dealt with a lot of these and feels description e and f is approppappr for me especially at the time of the assessment (3 years ago) 
    You can't score twice for any activity, you can only score once.

Also to add then sending anything to DWP by recorded delivery is a complete waste of money because next day delivery means nothing, other than it's been signed for by someone from Royal Mail sorting office., which means it could be anywhere in that building. It won't be signed for by anyone from DWP and it still goes through the same mail sorting process as every other mail going to DWP. It's not classed as arriving until it's been added to the computer.

Proof of posting is just as good and it's free.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for the update @blue32. I hope @poppy123456 has been able to help here. :)
    Scope

• blue32
    Hi rang today for update. It was with someone called Tracey last I phoned but now with a manager named mark.

Didn't say why assuming a decision might not be too far away.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thanks for updating us @blue32, fingers crossed your right!
    Scope

• blue32
    Update

So I rang a couple days before Christmas as I had been ringing a couple times a week and was under the impression a decision was due

Only to be told your MR has been put put off for three months as you have a assessment to go to soon 
    I challenged this saying but those forms came after the letter about this

But they are adamant I can't have a MR onhoong whilst waiting for a new assessment ( which I still haven't received a date.

Seems a bit strange as I no two separate people have looked at my MR 

Also my assessment is because my award ends in march its totally separate 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Bluey32, have you started a new PIP claim as well as appealing an old one? Sorry if I have misunderstood it.
    Scope

• blue32
    No they wrote too me about a mobility law change

Then I done a MR then a week or 2 later I got new forms in as my existing award ends in march 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @blue32, that must have been confusing! How are you getting on?
    Scope

• blue32
    It seems strange and think it's weird probably plotting against me too not pay it heard nothing since it about my assessment for seoerate claim which ends soon
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @blue32. Can I ask what mobility or PIP award you currently have? Back when you had the assessment and only received 4 points did you appeal at the time? Is your current award a new claim?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • blue32
    Im on enhanced care, I didn't appeal at the time the mobility when I got 4points.

My pip current award ends in march just found out today assessment is two weeks tomorrow. 
  • Catherine1989
    Catherine1989 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi thank you for accepting me on this site . I had previously been on DLA middle care and low mobility for 10 years after being diagnosed with BPD i was invited to apply for PIP in June 2019 as my DLA ended in Sept 2019 i attended a f2f in August 2019 and scored 0 points after a Mandatory Reconsideration i was awarded 7 points i am now appealing this decision can anyone offer any advice as i have been told there is a wait of 8 months for appeal i am on a lot of medication and i now suffer from osteoporosis and fibramylogia which the DWP are aware of i have a little bit of support but not much i live on my own and i am now nearly completely isolated can anyone offer some much needed advice ? 
  • blue32
    So back to my original post. I am no further forward with my appeal based on the mobility change of law this is due to my pip award due to end.

I had my assessment Friday my supportsworker came with me. I was told 5 minutes brfobe my assrsasses my assessor was not ready and return at 11.30 this distressed me a lot.

So we returned and were taken at 12 I was about to walk out but then my support worker went to the desk and told the receptionist who then hurried me yhriigh. No one was in with my assessor and no explanation was given

Whilst in the waiting room the receptionist rang  about 10-16 people saying there full name on the phone and giving directions ( my support worker has complained about this and other things which I will get too.

My assessment was very strange he goes too a few each week, no spelling or numeracy test, I have nerve damage and was only asked too lift both knees. My assrsass typed with two fingers .. and continuously told me too say down when I anserans questions we were positioned that both of us could see the screen and see her taking bits out all of this has been complained about my assessor seemed between 65-70.

I was asked nothing about washing only if I can wash to which I explained I need prompting and Reminding for this then she moved only communication asked if I can read a text and moved on too cooking.

She was interested to no why I'm not on olanzipine 20mg now as since my last assessment 3years ago it's down 12.5mg plus 2.5mg when required.

This happened in October the when required part due too small level symptoms again with my schizophrenia diagnosis, I explained too that since it going back up my energy levels since are poor and I sleep too much will this be taken into account despite me since it going back up me not seeing a gp I said I see my gp next week about the side affects etc but I've been struggling too much too discuss my med change in October my support worker confirmed everyyheve I said about energy levels sleep etc
  • poppy123456
    When you went into the room for your assessment, who did you expect to be in the room with the HCP? There wouldn't have been anyone in there because it was your turn.

When going for face to face assessments, the same as any other appointments we attend. We don't always go in on time, in fact, i can't remember the last time i went into an appointment on time and i don't mean a face to face assessment, i mean hospital/GP appointments.

In my opinion the receptionist stating people's name over the phone isn't really an issue but that name could be anyone. Providing they weren't disclosing any other personal details out loud then there's no issue here. I've been waiting at GP's and i've heard the receptionist mention patients names several times.

When attending a face to face assessment you need to confirm what you wrote on the form as well as any other additional information needed on the day. All the information you needed to give should have been written on the form because there's not usually enough of time to tell them all the details at these assessments.

As you've had the assessment wait a week and ring DWP to request a copy of the report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

Once the decision's been made if you're not happy then you'll have 1 month from that date to request the MR. Good luck.
  • blue32
    I think from his point of view he thought an explanation or apology should have been given, coming home the part about phone calls to people who have an assessment shouldn't be done in public waiting room saying full name etc as he said people he's assisted have problems were they wouldn't like that it was a very small waiting room. He feels there's a data protection issue as many vulenrable adults attend it's him who's complaining not me.

Anyways I rang today my report landed today and there sending it so they got it quite quick I assume emailed to them

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.