Homeless — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Homeless

Options
myomy
myomy Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @myomy.
    Are you currently homeless or been threatened with homelessness?
    If you can tell us a little more about your situation we can hopefully find you some help.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Butterfly281
    Butterfly281 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    I am currently living in private accomodation and have been on Council Waiting list for a couple years.  I have lived in current accomodation for 9 years and it is not ideal as I have 2 flights of iron stairs to access my flat and struggle with chronic pain and mobility.  My tenancy is due to expire in May this year and there has been no mention of renewal, the tenancy itself has a 5 month opt out clause so that means IF a Council Property becomes available before this ends I would be responsible for 900 x 4 months.
    IF they do not renew the contract I would not be able to afford other rental properties in the area and so would be homeless.
    I do not wish to move out of the area as I have a good network of support, GP and I still continue to work for Alzheimers Society, they have been very supportive of my diagnosis and allow me the option to work at home when I am too unwell.
    Can  you please advise if there is anyone that I could talk to as I am at my wits end with worry, which is not helping my condition.
    Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Council waiting lists in most areas is huge and some are as long as several years. If you're a single person then the wait could be even longer.

Have you referred yourself to your local council for a needs assessment? If you haven't then i'd advise you to do this because this may help you find somewhere more suitable a lot quicker. If the Occupational Therapist that assesses you thinks your home is not suitable then they could help by recommending to your local council that they house you somewhere more suitable.

The only issue you may have with a social housing property is that you may need to be more flexible in the area you choose because there will be more chance of finding somewhere if you widen your search area.

Regarding your current tenancy. You really do need to contact the landlord to ask if your current tenancy will be renewed in May. If they tell you that you can renew it and you don't have anywhere else to live by that time then you may have no option but to renew it and if you're offered another place after that time then applying for a discretionary housing payment will be an option and this will pay for the remainder of the rent.

Another option would be to look for another privately rented property that's more suitable to you, which the OT may also suggest, especially if that's the only option. The only downside to this is that if you're claiming for help with your rent then it could be very difficult to find a landlord that accepts a DSS tenant.

You could also speak to shelter who will advice you further, if the worst does happen and your tenancy isn't renewed.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Butterfly281 and a very warm welcome to the community! I am so sorry to hear about your current situation, it sounds extremely stressful. 

Have you contacted Shelter? They will be able to give you advice and can support disabled people into housing. 

They also have a helpline, online chat and service directory

Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do.
    Scope

Brightness