The 4 types of Auditory Processing Disorder — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The 4 types of Auditory Processing Disorder

dolfrog
dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
The four types of Auditory Processing Disorder -Temporal, Speech in Noise, Amblyaudia, and Spatial - you could have a look at my  Zotero “Auditory Processing Disorders” Group research paper compilation which includes subgroups for the different types of Auditory Processing Disorders and some related issues
 Zotero “Auditory Processing Disorders” Group 
https://www.zotero.org/groups/2302570/auditory_processing_disorder_apd/items/collectionKey/B8NYWU3Y  

The Temporal type is about having problems processing the gaps between sounds. which can include the gaps between words in rapid speech. it is also the main underlying cognitive cause of developmental dyslexia and specific language impairment.

Speech in Noise is about having problem processing a target sound when there are low levesl of background noise.

Amblyaudia is about the brain processing what one ear hears better than the other ear.

Spatial is are about not being able to identify the location of a sound source. 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this @dolfrog!
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    This is really interesting @dolfrog. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dolfrog
    edited August 2019
    Hi @Chloe_Scope and @Adrian_Scope

Basically all UK audiologists should be adequately trained and qualified to assess and diagnose all 4 types of Auditory Processing Disorder, which can be miss diagnosed by other uniformed medical professionals for example as being ADHD or even autism. 

The temporal type of Auditory Processing Disorder, having problems processing the gaps between sounds is the main underlying cognitive cause of developmental dyslexia, which the dyslexia industry call a phonological processing deficit (using different terminology to describe the same issues, all part of their career marketing). And research over the last decade has questioned whether Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) and Specific Language Impairment (SLI) (currently being re-marketed as Developmental Language Disorder(DLD) ) are one and the same thing, again using different terminology to describe the exact same issues.  
    The key diagnostic test for the temporal type of Auditory processing Disorder is the Random Gap Detection Test (RGDT) which tries to measure the size of gap between sounds and individual's brain can process, When I did the test  back in 2003 it did not include a gap large enough for me to process, which explained why have have problems with rapid speech, and why I have the dyslexia symptom. 
    Other issues can include having word recall problems when talking to others or writing, having a poor auditory memory, having problems following multiple verbal instructions, problems remembering what others may have said, problems processing what others are saying when  they say it and they expect an instant reply.
    Running the alternative compensating skills and abilities we may require to work around the limitations our disability causes, can cause working memory  issues as running our coping strategies may over load the limited capacity of human working memory, which can be very stressful and tiring. 

I have compiled some international Auditory Processing Disorder research paper links on an Evernote web page. The research paper are listed country by country
    Some International Auditory Processing Disorder Research Papers
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s329/sh/f5a4fffb-bf47-491b-97e3-e3cbee583af6/514394d1b0bf900e8ab031ed701d89c7  

• Adrian_Scope
    Thanks for this @dolfrog. I know you're very passionate about raising awareness of APD. How are you getting on with it?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dolfrog
    Hi @Adrian_Scope ,
    I have been trying to increase the awareness of APD for over 20 years now when our eldest son was first diagnosed, since then all of sons have been diagnosed as having APD, as has my wife, and me. it is for us a genetic issue, we can also see undiagnosed previous generations who also shared similar issues.
    The main problem is the politics between three groups of professionals - audiologists, speech and language, and psychologists- audiologists do not want to taken on the complex issues as it would require them take over some of clinical roles of psychologists, and speech and language. 
    The temporal type of APD is the main underlying cognitive cause of developmental dyslexia,  so if psychologists were to accept that then Educational psychologists would have to stop diagnosis dyslexia which is really a shared symptom , and those they identify as being dyslexic would have to be referred to an audiologist, an optometrist, or a psychiatrist, depending on the suspected underlying cause of the dyslexic symptom.
    International research of the last decade has been debating that APD are the exact same issues only described by the different the differnet professioansl using different terminology. This is the main reason that Spefic Langauge Impairment is now being marketed wit h new name Developmental Language Disorder. (DLD), and in some areas of the USa as Mixed Expressive and Receptive Language Disorder (MERLD). 
    All of this is more about so called medical professionals making money selling their services and programs, not the real issues. Which is why I have had to compile multiple research paper collections to prove these professionals to be wrong, or behind the times regarding international research.
    Added to which here in the UK there are 3 Audiology professional bodies. Multiple brick walls. 
    Hopefully one day every NHS Trust will employ audiologists trained and qualified to assess diagnose the 4 types of APD, and work with the recommended mult disciplie support team - speech and language , and psychologists.
     I did not think being the first adult in the UK to be diagnosed as having APD would pose so many problems with the so called medical professionals. It is like i know more about APD than they  do, which is wrong. 
  • dolfrog
    edited September 2019
    Today I have just created a new Evernote web page "The Four Types of Auditory Processing Disorder"  which includes a brief description of the 4 types and links to some current international research regarding these issues 
    1) The Temporal type of Auditory processing Disorder (APD) is about having problems processing the gaps between the sounds that the ears hear, which can include the gaps between words in rapid speech. It is also the main underlying cognitive cause of the developmental dyslexia symptom.
    2) Speech in Noise is about having problems processing a target sound when there are low levels of background noise.
    3) Amblyaudia is about the brain processing better what one ear hears better then how it processes what the other ear hears.
    4) Spatial Auditory Processing Disorder is about the brain not being able to identify the location of a sound source.

Which I am using in my Facebook APD group together with my Evernote "
    What is Dyslexia?" web page
  • Adrian_Scope
    Thanks for sharing this @dolfrog. I think it's brilliant you're trying to raise awareness of the condition. Do you share your Evernote page with any auditory experts you meet?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dolfrog
    edited September 2019
    Adrian_Scop
    The first Evernote page I shared last year was a compilation of international research listed country by country to lobby the UK Audiology professions.  And I do know some of them pesonally as well from my days of setting up APDUK to help the Medical Research Council (MRC) gain government funding for a 5 year research program.2004-2009.
    The MRC were recommending a multi discipline team to assess, diagnose, those of us who have APd, as it is a complex set of issues which can have multiple sets of symptoms which can overlap with other existing areas of care and support. Unfortunately many who would have to be retrained regarding Auditory Processing issues that can cause problems with sound based communication, including speech, language, and dyslexia etc preferred to deny that Auditory processing and Auditory Processing disorder even exists,, more about inter profession politics, career research funding, and marketing existing programs, All about Money rather than the real issues. And some only wish to discuss one type of Auditory Processing Disorder, Speech in Noise, as it does not have many underlying symptoms that other professions would need to understand and because those who have that particular type of Auditory Processing Disorder can benefit from using FM systems in a classroom or lecture theatre. (again more about selling technology) 
    I have the temporal type of APD as do all of my family , my brain having problems processing the gaps between the sounds my ears hear. Which is also the main underlying cognitive cause of the developmental dyslexia symptom, and specific language impairment. Hence the need for a multi discipline support team.  Psychologist and Linguists are in denial that auditory processing disorder exists, including many of the dyslexia /speech and language researchers all about their research funding. International research is slowly highlighting their false positions. Added to that there is the dyslexia industry which is funded by an organisation marketing a phonics based support program which the majority of dyslexics who have auditory processing disorder as the underlying cause of their dyslexia symptom are cognitively not able to use.  
    So there are not many auditory experts here in the UK only one or two, and most have already emigrated to other countries that have a better understanding of these issues. Currently  Germany and  New Zealand lead international research.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    dolfrog said:
    Adrian_Scop
    The first Evernote page I shared last year was a compilation of international research listed country by country to lobby the UK Audiology professions.  And I do know some of them pesonally as well from my days of setting up APDUK to help the Medical Research Council (MRC) gain government funding for a 5 year research program.2004-2009.
    The MRC were recommending a multi discipline team to assess, diagnose, those of us who have APd, as it is a complex set of issues which can have multiple sets of symptoms which can overlap with other existing areas of care and support. Unfortunately many who would have to be retrained regarding Auditory Processing issues that can cause problems with sound based communication, including speech, language, and dyslexia etc preferred to deny that Auditory processing and Auditory Processing disorder even exists,, more about inter profession politics, career research funding, and marketing existing programs, All about Money rather than the real issues. And some only wish to discuss one type of Auditory Processing Disorder, Speech in Noise, as it does not have many underlying symptoms that other professions would need to understand and because those who have that particular type of Auditory Processing Disorder can benefit from using FM systems in a classroom or lecture theatre. (again more about selling technology) 
    I have the temporal type of APD as do all of my family , my brain having problems processing the gaps between the sounds my ears hear. Which is also the main underlying cognitive cause of the developmental dyslexia symptom, and specific language impairment. Hence the need for a multi discipline support team.  Psychologist and Linguists are in denial that auditory processing disorder exists, including many of the dyslexia /speech and language researchers all about their research funding. International research is slowly highlighting their false positions. Added to that there is the dyslexia industry which is funded by an organisation marketing a phonics based support program which the majority of dyslexics who have auditory processing disorder as the underlying cause of their dyslexia symptom are cognitively not able to use.  
    So there are not many auditory experts here in the UK only one or two, and most have already emigrated to other countries that have a better understanding of these issues. Currently  Germany and  New Zealand lead international research.
    Thanks for the information @dolfrog! This is interesting. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Sounds like you are doing some amazing work @dolfrog!
    Scope

• dolfrog
    edited September 2019
    Sounds like you are doing some amazing work @dolfrog!
    I am only really trying to get the awareness and understanding for all of my family , 3 sons, my wife and me, and the many others who have one or more types of Auditory Processing Disorder. When I started 20 years ago I never thought it would be so difficult, and take so long, still a very long way to go.
    However one positive is that I can now read research papers lol
  • Chloe_Scope
    We appreciate your knowledge @dolfrog and you are doing a great job!
    Scope

• dolfrog
    edited October 2019
    Thanks for sharing this @dolfrog. I think it's brilliant you're trying to raise awareness of the condition. Do you share your Evernote page with any auditory experts you meet?
    Hi @Adrian_Scope
    I had an online exchange with Prof. David Moore last week, he lead the UK Medical Research Council Research's Auditory Processing Disorder research program 2004-2009 at Nottingham University, and now works in the  USA, and is an adviser to one of the UKs audiology professions APD committee.
    He agreed with me that the four types of APD is currently the best way to define the disability in line with international research. Obviously research will continue to improve our understanding of how the human auditory system works, and the types of problems we may experience.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 231 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dolfrog
    justdon said:
    Good morning .

I have a question for you please ?
    When i block my left ear off and so am just left with trying to hear out of my right .
    The hearing on that side is very strange .
    All sound is extremely muffled and voices and other external noises sound like they are "far away" but ,my own voice sounds like its coming from inside my head.
    My ear feels "plugged" constantly.
    I also feel disorientated spacialy and off balance.
    Theres a setting you get on phone or blue tooth  speakers ..which sounds like being in an audatorium or empty bathroom (cant remember what its called ) and thats what it feels like.
    this never changes and has been like it ever since i can remember .
    I also get a lot of pitch changes and whooshing sounds .
    Yet my hearing tests always indicate only a very insignificant level of hearing loss .
    Just wondered what your thoughts might be on this ?
    I also have balance problems(vertigo) and nystagmus as you know .
    I know you cant exactly diagnose ,but was wondering if you could give me an opinion ?.:-)

Hi @justdan
    What you are describing is all part of what is termed dichotic listening, which can be related to one ear functioning better than the other and more specifically the brain processing better what one ear hears better than the other which is the Amblyaudia type of APD which was only described and defined about 7 years ago by Deborah Moncrief and her colleagues.
    Balance issues are related to the brains auditory and visual integration which can be affected by poor auditory processing and / or poor visual processing.
    As you may have noticed I have the temporal type of auditory processing disorder which is the underlying cause of my dyslexia, miss spelling words, and missing words out when typing and talking lol. 
    You could have a look at the related research included in one or more of my research paper compilations.
    The Four Types of Auditory Processing Disorder
    Some PubMed Audiology Research Paper Collections 
    and may be
    My Zotero Auditory Processing Disorders Research Paper Group
    You may need to join Zotero, which is free to join, to have full access to these collections, you could also use zotero to create your own information collections, 
    I hope you find the information you are looking for.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 231 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dolfrog
    Hi All
    A recent research paper which may help explain some of the issues.
    Subcortical pathways: towards a better understanding of auditory disorders 
  • dolfrog
    Hi @Adrian_Scope
    in the last couple of months I have shared my Evernote "The Four Types of Auditory Processing Disorder" with Prof. David Moore who lead the Medical Research Council's 2004-2009 Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) research program. And he agreed with the four types of APD described in my Evernote web page. as how he understands APD. In a further step I also shared the web page content with Prof. Nicci Campbell, at Southampton University who has been the chair of the BSA APD committee in recent years, and she considered it to be well thought out. 
    So hopefully now it more about educating all NHS Audiologists regarding the four types of APD and many other related topics, such as speech and language issues and dyslexia issues, etc. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    It sounds like you're slowly making some progress. Glad to hear it. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dolfrog
    It sounds like you're slowly making some progress. Glad to hear it. :smile:
    Hi @Adrian_Scope
    Just an update of links to some of the related information, and related issues.
    The Four Types of Auditory Processing Disorder -Temporal, Speech in Noise, Amblyaudia, and Spatial 
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s329/sh/35c143f8-30d8-4b16-81d9-bb9bbd34449f/23638e20a161955c968bedd5bf0e59c9 
    Some International Auditory Processing Disorder Research Papers
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s329/sh/f5a4fffb-bf47-491b-97e3-e3cbee583af6/514394d1b0bf900e8ab031ed701d89c7 
    Gaps in Sound - Auditory Gap Detection and Auditory Perception 
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s329/sh/1c87aa56-9c56-4b25-9849-417d96b86db9/8a2821317cfcc4fe1488acb63fc606a6 
    Some WorldCat Auditory Processing Disorders Books 
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s329/sh/488d9b12-87e3-40ae-b572-cded3df89d46/ff82c8babe3aaad91546004c3a6b2cb3 
     Some PubMed Audiology Research Paper Collections 
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s329/sh/1d516363-55b1-43c0-ba6c-e40667b946ad/e5b8c6ade64471065704b188b20e2bd4 
    What is Dyslexia? 
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s329/sh/3629a60c-be24-4bc2-ac77-b696f4e051d9/c556f4f6c4e53c4da44c2fae23e3db4a 
    Some PubMed Dyslexia Research Paper Collections 
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s329/sh/b7ee9497-d963-4b30-a328-0d7b087e0d09/2f19fea1f77027b91566b316fb1989f0 
    British Society of Audiology (BSA) and the Royal Surrey NHS 2nd Seminar on Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) Hearing in Noise and Hyperacusis. 
    www.thebsa.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Flyer-APD-and-hyperacusis-programme-2020.pdf  

Brightness