Support for Adults — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support for Adults

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2020 in Autism and neurodiversity
Had an email back after contacting my county branch autistic society asking for help and support. Apparently there isn't any in this county for adults. They suggested I refer myself for counselling (which I've recently been discharged from, coz they say the mh problems caused by autism). Or they say talk to the disability advisor at the job centre. I'm claiming UC and have not been referred to this person, nor did I know that they existed.
But is this the same all over the country, or is it just this county? I know now that the Wellbeing service is run differently in other countries. I got no help from them but if I'd lived a few miles further south there would have been help available.
So cant get counselling or autism support so what am I suppose to do? I'm angry but I just feel hopeless now.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Franstrahan. Have you had a look at Autism Alliance? Even if there's not any local NAS support available, there might be an autistic charity local to you or might be able to make alternative recommendations.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bettahm
    @Adrian_Scope
    Trying to look at that link and keep losing the signal here but persevering.
    I've contacted one fairly close by but they only cover children. One other in the north of the county that doesnt stretch down to this area. Both of them have said services are poor in this county. 
    I'm looking for support only.
    I'll try again, with this bad signal at the mo.
    Thanks Adrian
  • Bettahm
    @Adrian_Scope
    Emailed autism alliance, see if they know of anything in this area. We're definitely lacking in services in this part of the world, both for mh and ASD.
  • Bettahm
    Autism Alliance got back to me with a nationwide list of organisations. The nearest to me was two counties away but it did say they support this county so I emailed them. They have got back to me, they have no one in this area now. Another one has got back to me saying services are pretty much non existent for autistic adults here, but the county council is aware and they are starting something next month. 
    For some reason I dont hold out a lot of hope. I may contact the local council.
    Is it like this all round the country or do I just live in a bad area for mh and ASD support services?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Sadly @Franstrahan, this does seem to be a common problem across the UK. Hopefully their intention to start something in the next month materialises shortly. Have they said whether they'd let you know or do you need to just keep an eye out for it?
    You might have better luck looking for user-led support groups etc. Have you tried asking on your local Facebook pages to see if there's anything anyone recommends in your area?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • juliaparry24
    juliaparry24 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Their is places in the UK that help children and young people with autism, like schools and certain doctors, it's not the same everywhere, it depends where you live 
  • Bettahm
    @Adrian_Scope
    I really feel like I've exhausted every Avenue. There is one guy 10 miles or so from here who has started up his own thing, not sure if it is a group or what it is. It's for young people anyway. Not on Facebook. I think ring local council as a last resort, which I'm going to do today.
  • Bettahm
    @juliaparry24
    I think I just live in a bad area. There is a support group in the north of the county, doesnt cover here. I'm going to contact the local council, and if nothing doing there, the county council
  • Bettahm
    @juliaparry24
    @Adrian_Scope
    Had an email back this afternoon from the therapy horses I had contacted about help and support with my autism. The company is fully funded, I can have my first therapy session, with horses, next week (their diary depending, but anyway, very soon!!) I am thrilled, as I love animals, this probably couldn't have turned out better :)
    After all the organisations I contacted for 'human' counselling and had just about given up hope today - the horses came through! They will possibly help with the depression and anxiety too. I'll ask. Will post the web address and more details in a new post.
  • Adrian_Scope
    That's brilliant @Franstrahan. I'm really glad you've made some progress. I can only imagine how disheartening it was to learn there was no local support, so I can't wait to hear more. Keep us updated!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • juliaparry24
    juliaparry24 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    That's great to hear @Franstrahan I hope it helps you ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    This is great news @Franstrahan! I am so happy for you and you'll have to tell us all about it!
    Scope

Brightness