Can I apply for pip? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I apply for pip?

Gary2019
Gary2019 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I'm currently on ESA but I don't know if I can apply for pip?

I currently have either chronic daily migraine/psychosomatic pain it is still ongoing to figure out what is going on. I'm currently seeing a psychologist, psychiatrist and neurologist. I also have depression, anxiety, panic attacks, obviously going through mental health problems too.

So I'm not a 100% if I can apply or not. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. Evidence will be needed to support your claim and most likely a face to face assessment, as most people have them. Your ESA claim won't help a PIP claim because they are different benefits, with different criteria.

The most important one to read is this one because it will give you more of an understanding of the descriptors and what they mean.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Gary2019   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions.   We guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

Please have a look at our PIP information on our website .

For an application form 0800 121 4433

Please can when you receive the booklet and form read carefully. If not sure speak to your support worker or support team who should be advising you on this.

Help you to fill it in.

Please can I suggest if you do not  have a support worker or an outreach worker or any one who can help you.

Consider speaking to a mental health charity.

I used this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Might not be in all areas.

Can help with mental health wellbeing and benefit advice and guidance.

Hope that helps.

Please if you wish to know anything please get in touch.  Some one will know a member of our team or a member of our community.

Happy to help and be supportive.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Gary2019
    Gary2019 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your replys I will have to read it all
  • Isha1234
    Isha1234 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, about 2/3 years ago I had a terrible incident and split my head open, I had to get stitches and I suffered from terrible migraines I didn’t apply for pip or dla, but recently I had a very close bereavement and I have experienced numbness on the left side of my face as well as pins and needles ( the side where the injury is) my face goes cold when I get very stressed it’s only the left side and since this awful bereavement my eye sight has decreased as well as my memory sometimes I forget to do things such as picking up my siblings from school and even going to the loo, the thing is I’m only 18 and I’m terrified to go to the doctor incase it’s something serious, the migraines have gotten worse as I’m unable to go to uni some days 
    can someone please help, will I qualify for pip? 
    many thanks. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Isha1234 said:
    Hi, about 2/3 years ago I had a terrible incident and split my head open, I had to get stitches and I suffered from terrible migraines I didn’t apply for pip or dla, but recently I had a very close bereavement and I have experienced numbness on the left side of my face as well as pins and needles ( the side where the injury is) my face goes cold when I get very stressed it’s only the left side and since this awful bereavement my eye sight has decreased as well as my memory sometimes I forget to do things such as picking up my siblings from school and even going to the loo, the thing is I’m only 18 and I’m terrified to go to the doctor incase it’s something serious, the migraines have gotten worse as I’m unable to go to uni some days 
    can someone please help, will I qualify for pip? 
    many thanks. 

HI,

I'm sorry to hear all of that. I'm afraid we are not medical professionals here and we won't be able to give you any medical advice. You really should speak to your GP regarding all of your symptoms. Stress can cause all sorts of symptoms and hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

Regarding the PIP, you need to have had the conditions for at least 3 months and expect them to last at least a further 9 months. As you said recently then you may not qualify under the 3 month rule. My advice it to speak to your GP for medical advice.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.