Support for son (17) who has Aspergers and Klinefelters Syndrome. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support for son (17) who has Aspergers and Klinefelters Syndrome.

hjcespana
hjcespana Community member Posts: 7 Connected
edited February 2020 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi I am the parent of a 17 year old lad with Aspergers Syndrome and Klinefelters Syndrome. He has been in and out of education since 13 due to his anxiety and now rarely leaves the house.  I am looking for support in trying to find a way through what feels like a terrifying quagmire, so that we can find a way forward  Thanks

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @hjcespana    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for sharing and joining.

Sorry to hear about your son, you come to the right place.

I am one of the team of community champions we advise, support and help members of our community.

Please if I can suggest looking at mental health charities.

I have mental health issues myself use my knowledge, expertise to help members of our community.

They offer the following, floating support, advice, guidance with welfare, health and benefits.

Offer a range of activities, coping methods, strategies to help your son deal with his issues.

Also add to that look at anything else you son might need support with education, in employment.

I used these all three before.

Unfortunately might not be in all areas.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Please you can self refer or speak to your Doctor. They do take members of our community with other disabilities conditions. Will look at any sign posting relevant additional support.

I have a disability with addiction, mental health as I explained before. Will help with anything like alcohol or drugs if your son is involved in anything like this.

So will I myself have a experience, knowledge of relevant support.

Anxiety can be coped and dealt with it does can cause a lot of problems, but with the proper advice and guidance. Medication being important one with lifestyle changes looking at diet, nutrition.

Something you need to be aware of your sons diet.

I have learnt and gained qualifications in using them to help not only the community very much my self in looking at diet, nutrition.

Certain things to avoid all stimulants Caffeine, Tea, Coffee, Cola, Chocolate. Alcohol.

May think calming but actually if we get anxious and reach for the caffeine or a drink we consume more.

Effecting symptoms of agitation, on edge, chest pains and so on.

Water cold helps as does it the constant dry mouth and may I add on final point.

Many of the medications if your son is taking them, do have side effects.

Please look at any leaflets and information supplied. Any concerns speak to your GP. they need to know, do offer a range of solutions. Including looking at CBT, which can be used in conjunction with the charities I have listed there support.

Something l do consider is a whole grain diet used Bread, Rice, Pasta and Pulses all are useful to calm the anxiety symptoms.

Warm milky drinks with honey on a night helps with sleep.

Lean meat Chicken Turkey and plenty of fruit and vegetables, plus Eggs, Nuts do help.

Please if you need to ask any questions please ask . Happy to be supportive offer compassion and empathy.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • hjcespana
    hjcespana Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Thank you so much for all your info and kind words ! I certainly think I have come to the right place !
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    A very warm welcome to the community @hjcespana!

Great to have you with us. Is there anything we can do to help?
    Scope

Brightness