fixator anyone? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

fixator anyone?

pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
Hi, I recently discovered a brilliant little gadget. I have a supra pubic catheter. I hate leg bags, so have the tubing coming up via my trousers waistband and the collection bag hangs on my wheelchair, in a small cloth bag. It is ok, but I was always checking that the tubing wasn`t caught up anywhere.

Last week, when my district nurse came to change my catheter, she asked me if I had tried a fixator. I didnt know what she meant, so she gave me one to try.

It sticks to your tum and has a clip which holds the tubing securely and works brilliantly! It`s very comfortable!

If it might help anyone else, ask your district nurse.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh brilliant! I love it when you find a solution to a problem! 
    I have an ileostomy and I have been struggling with the heat making my bags peel off me. My stoma nurse sent me a new product to try that is an adhesive strengthener and it is BRILLIANT!  Made such a huge difference to my day to day life!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • pollyanna1052
    Oh that`s great too Sam.
    Glad it`s helped. xx
  • pollyanna1052
    supply of 10 just received. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I love finding creative solutions to problems! Today I found a solution to my son’s bladder problems. 
  • pollyanna1052
    put a new one on today.....brill little thing!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great news @pollyanna1052! I bet it makes such a difference! 
    Scope

• Lizzie344
    Lizzie344 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    @pollyanna1052 Hello! ive been using this one here called ugo fix gentle https://www.shop-optimum.com/shop-urology/catheter-leg-bag-fixation/ugo-fix-gentle/ Not sure if the one youve described above is the same? This one has worked well for me. I've seen it on this online shop but you can also get it prescribed. That is how I get it. I worried about accidentally pulling on my catheter before i started using it. Not had any problems :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Welcome to the community @Lizzie344 and thank you for sharing this! :)
    Scope

• Lizzie344
    Thank you @Chloe_Scope :) I think it's good to share the things that work with others as they might find it helpful. It can all feel a bit 'trial and error' to start with but ive found a system which works well for me!
  • pollyanna1052
    Hi Lizzie, yeh mine is a ugo type. Today it is itchy...wasnt before...I`ll put a new one on. How long do you keep your`s on? I do mine weekly xx
  • Chloe_Scope
    That's very true @Lizzie344!
    Scope

• Lizzie344
    Hi @pollyanna1052, I keep my one on for a week but sometimes it lasts a bit longer. the info says they're made to last up to 7 days. luckily it still sticks well even if you've peeled it off and restuck it down. ive done this a couple of times to get the position just right.
  • pollyanna1052
    yeh, they are good at re-positioning. How long have you had an SPC?

• EmmaJane
    EmmaJane Scope Member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Hi @pollyanna1052 , this does sound like a very useful device! At the moment I use intermittent catheters but I am going to need a different solution at some point because I am increasingly getting pain in my hands that I call cramp but is possibly arthritis or rheumatism, not sure which.
  • pollyanna1052
    Hi Emma, do you think you would be better with an SPC? XX

• EmmaJane
    Hi Pollyanna, thanks for your suggestion! I have heard conflicting opinions about SPCs so I'm not really sure about the pros and cons objectively. I know you can get one that is inserted like an intermittent but it stays in for some time so that might also be an option.At some point I need to seriously consider all the alternatives. XX

• pollyanna1052
    Hello again.
    I`ve had continence issues for many years. I was needing to empty my bladder every hour, but retained quite a lot too...so it never got emptied properly.

When I lost all mobility and standing strength I had to do something....so I tried a urethral catheter for 5 months......oh it was horrid...so uncomfortable.

So I went the whole hog and had the SPC fitted. I`ve had that for 7 years and it is 95% great. It occasionally by=passes and feels as if there is pressure in my bladder. But straightening out the tubing and ensuring it can drain sorts it out. I get a new one inserted 4 weekly by district nurse.

I was out all day yesterday and didn't get that awful  urge to find a disabled loo. So, yeh I would recommend an SPC if all else has failed.
  • EmmaJane
    Hi, thanks so much for this, it's very helpful to have the opinion of a someone who knows :)

It seems as though we might be in similar situations in respect of bladder issues - I recognize everything you have said. The only difference is I don't find my intermittent catheters uncomfortable at all, That may be because I don't normally have any feeling from my waist down, but I do get a sensation from the catheter going in, but I don't find it uncomfortable at all. I wouldn't consider changing my method except I can see that the problems I am increasingly having with my hands is going to make it difficult in the future. In view of what you have said I can see that the SPC might be the way to go, so thank you for your help XX

Brightness