advise with new sky+ hd box — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

advise with new sky+ hd box

deb74
deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
 Hi all. I have just bought a new sky box and after 2 days it is still initialising. Is there anything I can do to make it initialise any faster. I have been on the sky website and it says that it should only take 2 hrs. I am a complete technophobe. thanks in advance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    HI,

The best thing to do is to ring sky customer services and they will be able to help you. I also found this. https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-box-is-initialising

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • deb74
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @deb74   Did you know SKY have an accessibility unit in the company.

This means members like our community can ring up and they discuss any problems, issues with SKY services.

You need to ask for it and then they can help you.

Useful if you bought new products from SKY.

I believe also might ask if you need some one to guide you through anything, could mean a charge if they need to come to your home.

Please ask, I have new laptop contacted them, advice and guidance.

Also offer other assistance security, viruses, back up etc.

Many companies have this you have to ask though.

Other ones are Utilities .

SKY accessibility Unit number is

0344 241 0333

All staff are trained some like us this community. Pleasant chat other day, great to know.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Did you manage to get it resolved @deb74
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • deb74
    Hi @ thespiceman. I didn't buy the box off sky. I bought it off amazon.
  • deb74
    Hi @Adrian_Scope. I haven't managed to fix it yet but I will try again tomorrow.
  • poppy123456
    Are you a sky customer? If so then give them a ring and they will help you. If not then try taking the plug out and leaving it out for a while. Plug it back in and try again. If that doesn't work then you'll need to contact the person you bought it from because it could be faulty.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • deb74
    HI @poppy123456. No I am not a sky customer. if I can't fix it I will get in touch with seller. Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    This maybe the problem. You can access the freeview channels with a box but you'll need a dish and a viewing card to access some of the freeview channels, do you have both of those?
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @deb74 do you have it connected to a satellite dish? If it isn't it won't initialise. If it is connected to a working satellite dish it could be your dish is not aligned properly.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• deb74
    HI @Geoark. Were I live everything was switched to digital years ago. normal tv areals  don't work so everyone has to use a satellite dish. The dish is fine! I will see if I can get it to work today.  
  • poppy123456
    The digital switch over took place for everyone in the whole of the UK in 2012.
  • deb74
    Hi Poppy12345. Where I live the digital change over was in 2009. You can't even use freeview where I live!
  • thespiceman
    Hello @deb74   Sorry to hear this.

Spoken to SKY asked for a package the basic the cost.

Done it all for you even though you have one, not expensive the package as you think.

Put in a new box, satellite check coverage, is this OK the right place for your satellite dish can be altered,wires, plugs in the dish, box, viewing card.

Do and tune the TV correctly.

Clean up tidy up hoover the mess if any.

All these companies have back up, some one to contact any problems no charge included in package.

If ever want to leave often have deals on and makes you an offer.

Heard of six months free and then sign up another contract.

You can always ask any deals any offers.

I know can be dauting I do though have done.

Problem is you bought off AMAZON, I do buy from them but not many items electrical just wary.

AMAZON gets a lot of products from China, bought recently CD player.

Been a lot of the products from China as they might not  be the genuine article who knows my concern.

Had on it Philips, the brand name but the box was all Chinese lettering works fine.

Cost not a lot, never buy not known brands, so many.

Once bought some jeans.  Has the label well know brand but the package arrived with Chinese lettering on labels.

Been a big issue in the on line community those who shop like me. WHICH magazine recommend to all community members usually a lot to say about AMAZON.

Certain area of China now the biggest industrial complex in the World.

Many retailers get there products there including Supermarkets certain ones, as well on line shops.

With anything you buy on line do some research, sit down take notes look around other companies.

Are they the offers the selling to be good to be true.

I bulk buy the named brands as I have done saved a fortune, many of them too expensive in supermarkets.

One other point checkatrade.com. website often good TV satellite installers give you a better deal if you wish to if you can not afford SKY.

Fixed an new aerial last year. Found this gent on line.

Came to home, fixed aerial offered me a deal to put an fix a satellite if I need to , plus box viewing card.

Cheaper than SKY.

Just a thought.

Please if you have any questions about your coverage there are a lot of information on line.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    deb74 said:
    . You can't even use freeview where I live!

That makes no sense because without being a sky customer, that's what you're trying to do, using freeview through the sky box. If you were previously using a sky box before you bought the new one then i'd contact the person you bought it from because there maybe a problem with the box. If you weren't then it could be your dish. Hope you get it sorted.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @deb74   Been on line lots on companies wishing to look at your TV aerial. Coverage problems need to look.

B.B.C . offer a service.

Curry's on website could do the same contact them their fit a satellite box and every thing else might need.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I really hope you managed to get this sorted @deb74! :)
    Scope

• deb74
    Thanks everyone for the advise!
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome

Ring Sky and ask to speak with customer services. Or you can try researching the problem online to see if anyone else had the same problem and how it was fixed. I hope this is useful! 
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    hi Deb74 ....I think that you may have expected to connect your sky box ( from amazon) and be up and running ? 
     I,m afraid if you have not purchased a sky package (from sky) the you will not get the box to work . Please phone sky and see what they say , their packages can run from around £25 a month to well over £100 a month depending on what you wish to view on your TV . 
    Good luck and please let us know how you get on . ?

Brightness