Do I ring PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I ring PIP?

LOVEJOY19661
LOVEJOY19661 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited January 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have fibromyalgia. I've had it 10 years but only got diagnosed 1 year ago. I was put on esa after working all my life due to the debilitating symptoms which stopped my life in its tracks. I put in for pip and only got 6 points so I did a MR and did this on exactly how fibro effects me and my life the majority of the time. I am in bed for days and some time flare ups for weeks, my family are my rock and help do everything for me.
I won the M.R both ananced rate, which is good but I did tell pip in writing that on good days I can walk over 50 meters only on a morning when I get up can I not get to bathroom due to pain. I told them I can not plan or make a journey due to extreme stress? So why did I get motability for not walking over 20 meters and not on the anxiety and journey? CAB. called me to say I had got ananced for both.. I said I did not want the motability part due to it not been correct.. I do not want any money that I should not get.. Cab advised me they have gone off a majority of the time that I can not walk.. I don't want to be scared to go out if I have a good day?  I want to be well and get better. Its a fluctuating illness fibromyalgia this is what cab advised. I am so bad at moment but I am not in bed all day every day and  I can go shopping with my  daughter and to family on good days. Please help,? do I ring pip and ask them why they have totally given me points for walking when in my opinion it should be for both walking  over 50 meters and some points for stress and anxiety and not been able to plan a journey. Most days while I am in flare up I can not do both. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

PIP isn't about your worst days, it's about how your conditions affect you at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period. You don't have to be in bed all the time to claim Enhanced mobility for the moving around part. Even though you stated you could walk 50 metres they obviously thought differently. For any of the descriptors then part of the criteria is can you do that activity regularly, reliably and without pain and discomfort, if you can't then you're classed as not being able to complete safely.

Hope this helps you to relax a little now, very few people manage to have the decision changed at MR stage.

Just wanted to add that one of my conditions is fibro so i know exactly what you go through. I also claim Enhanced mobility but i certainly don't spend all day everyday in bed. We can still have some kind of life even if we claim PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LOVEJOY19661
    Thank you Poppy123456
    I know I was surprised to win my MR, I only got 6 points.
     At my f2f even the h. P said if you don't get it appeal the decision they are idiots.? I have never claimed any benefits so I just wrote down everything what I disagreed with at f2f and then wrote exactly and truthfully how fibromyalgia and all my other illness effects me.. I just don't want to be worrying.. You explained it to me so hopefully I can relax a little  now.. On my good days I don't want to be stuck in the house, I hardly get out as it is ?. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome,

Were you awarded any daily living part or just mobility? No one wants to stay at home everyday, if their health allows them to go out and PIP definitely doesn't mean we can't still have some life (when our conditions allow us to)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • LOVEJOY19661
    Hi poppy123456
    I got both daily and motability ananced. 
  • poppy123456
    That's great news! I don't know if you're aware that your mobility award will allow you to have a mobility vehicle but you will need to exchange that weekly amount for the vehicle. https://www.motability.co.uk/

Do you claim any other benefits?

• LOVEJOY19661
    Poppy123456
    I've not been very good at moment so I haven't really been well enough to even think about a car. I have Just coming out of a horrendous flare up.
    I know I can get a car and I get ESA and the extra for living alone.. I have had cab look at my claim but I found I could do it better on my own so my daughter helped me fill in M.R
    I feel that hopefully I won't need the motability part next time I have to go through review, you don't want to get used to a car for it to be taken away. 
  • LOVEJOY19661
  • poppy123456
    You got it spot on with what you needed to do for the MR :) glad to hear you were finally awarded and it sounds like you're claiming everything you're entitled to with the SDP included in your ESA too.

How long have you been awarded for? If it's longer than 3 years it maybe worth considering the car. I've recently collected my 2nd mobility car and i'd be completely housebound without it.
  • LOVEJOY19661
    Hi poppy123456
    I've just checked the length of my claim 33 month 4 days and they will check up one year before it ends, is that normal 2.75 years. 
  • LOVEJOY19661
    Sorry ment to say length of my award. 

• poppy123456
    Just so that you’re aware, reviews take place 6 months before the award ends and not 1 year before as the award letter states.
  • LOVEJOY19661
    OK thank you. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.