ESA backdated for my mum who died — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA backdated for my mum who died

Rutheo1210
Rutheo1210 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone 

I’m so confused by all this, I received the letter ect and have gone through the process. 
I got a letter money saying she was underpaid, I filled in the form with bank details ect. 

I read on here that people are now getting payments from before 2014. 
They told me on the phone it was from 2014 but I know it was 2011 it swapped over. 
Is this something I have to claim for or will they now autograph pay back from 2011. 
I don’t even know what mum was entitled too, all I know is she was swap from IB to esa contribution, when she should have had esa IR, is there a difference in the money ? Then the top up if she was entitled to it ) which I assume she was as she was seriously disabled and received higher rate ect, she lived on her own ( but had a career that the council payed for ) no savings ect. 
The whole thing is really stressful and I feel gutted that my mum missed out on money that was owed to her. 
Thank you 
Ruth 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

The dates will depend on circumstances and everyone is different.

When she's entitled to backdated money will depend on her circumstances during the dates in the letter. Being seriously disabled doesn't automatically entitle someone to more ESA. It will depend on lots of things like, which group was she placed into when she transferred? did she receive transitional support protection? savings/capital, pension income, living with partner that worked or claimed other benefits. There's a lot of things to assess her on.

It's not possible to give you a definite answer on any internet forum. DWP will assess her for this and unfortunately, you'll need to wait for them to make a decision. Once that decision's been made then they will send a decision letter with a breakdown of everything.

Hopefully it won't be too long but i do know that backlogs for this are huge. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    A very warm welcome to the community @Rutheo1210! I'm sorry this is really stressful and I can imagine it hasn't be easy at all. I really do hope you don't have to wait too much longer and please do let us know if we can do anything else.
    Scope

• Rutheo1210
    Rutheo1210 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi just an update 

received over £11,000 today which dates back to 2014 to 2017 when she passed away. 
    Pleased it’s paid back but also really upset that my mum missed out on nearly £300 a month. 
    And then reading more about it starting in 2011, I’m wondering if she was owed more as I know they had a cut off date as 2014. 
    Does anyone know anything else about this. 
    Feel so angry for her 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad you finally received it.

When the error was first announced they were only backdated money to November 2014. Shortly after they changed that and decided to backdate money to November 2011.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rutheo1210 and thank you for taking the time to update us! I'm really glad to hear that you have received the money, but like you say, it can be difficult when it should have gone to your mum.

Please take care and we're around if you need anything. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.