Essential Tremors — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Essential Tremors

MaxB
MaxB Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
I suffer with essential tremors, my right arm and hand is the worst, my left hand is starting to shake now, and these last few months I have developed a yes-yes head tremor. Has anyone got any advice or tips for dealing with this. I have tried beta blockers but they do nothing for my hand tremors but do slightly help with the head tremor.

Comments

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi @maxB I have a friend who suffers from really bad tremors. He mainly has problems with his head shaking but his hands do shake as well. I would talk to your doctor about it they may be able to prescribe something to calm it down. I am not sure what my friend takes.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MaxB, sorry to hear this, it must be frustrating. Have you spoken to your doctor recently? There might be some other medication that may be more effective.

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• MaxB
    MaxB Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Unfortunately there are no medications that cure it, only beta blockers that might help. In america they have been trailing out non surgical deep brain stimulation with very positive results...so we will probably get round to this in the UK in about 20yrs time. *sarcastic smile*..
  • Chloe_Scope
    Sorry to hear that @MaxB. I hope others will share their experiences. 
    Scope

• cherry92
    cherry92 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have the exact same. My tremor started in my right hand when I was about 14 and gradually my whole right arm was affected. I’m now 28 and have developed the same head tremor over the last year and a half. Beta blockers have never helped my hand tremor but slightly improve my head tremor. I was also prescribed primidone but the side effects were too much for me so I didn’t stay on it long enough to see if it made a difference. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Welcome to the community @cherry92, thank you for sharing this with us. I'm glad you found us. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MaxB Welcome to the community, great to have you on board. I see a few others suffer the same as you and seem of the same impression there is no medication to help.

I was just wondering if there are any alternative therapies that could assist maybe tailored exercises or something ?
  • nikki1
    nikki1 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    MaxB said:
    I suffer with essential tremors, my right arm and hand is the worst, my left hand is starting to shake now, and these last few months I have developed a yes-yes head tremor. Has anyone got any advice or tips for dealing with this. I have tried beta blockers but they do nothing for my hand tremors but do slightly help with the head tremor. 

hi there,
                  have you tried tai chi? swimming? 

• stillt1
    stillt1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    MaxB said:
    Unfortunately there are no medications that cure it, only beta blockers that might help. In america they have been trailing out non surgical deep brain stimulation with very positive results...so we will probably get round to this in the UK in about 20yrs time. *sarcastic smile*..Hi MaxB I have shakes in head & both hands I am being treated at Kings Collage Hospital but I also have heart problems ( first atrial fibrillation that was sorted out now heart block witch i had a pacemaker fitted) witch i am on medication that stops me having medication for my tremors, I have spoken to my  surgeon about focus ultrasound witch is not reversable so after a lot of discussion i'm having deep brain stimulation next year

Brightness