Therapy Horses - First Visit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Therapy Horses - First Visit

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
They have 6 horses - Jake, Magnolia, Tammy, Charlie, Bree and Ebony - and 2 ponies, Toffee and Pepsi. Horses are apparently very sensitive creatures due to being prey animals in the past, they pick up on your mood and emotions quickly. Making them ideal for working with ASD people, also ADHD and depression and anxiety. So the idea is controlling your mood so the horse will respond to you. Having control over a large animal like a horse will boost your confidence, and working in unison with him will help develop social skills.
I got to groom Jake today, maybe next week I'll get to lead one of the ponies round an obstacle course. Starting small! The largest horse there is Tammy, weighing in at 900kgs. I've got a lot more to find out and learn but apparently you can work up to leading a horse in reverse around the obstacle course! So theres grooming, mucking out, preparing their feed, leading, and the obstacle course, probably more as I go on. Like us, the horses can have good days and bad, and sometimes they will not respond the way you want.
I will update as now a weekly event for me, they are fully funded, the sessions are free.
Have a few photos to post, few more next week of the obstacle course etc. And they have a huge barn so all done indoors in bad weather.

Tammy with Mike, the owner.

Jake in the barn.
Charlie and Tammy

The ponies were camera shy today, will take more next week.  The centre has a guy who comes regularly, suffers from anxiety, and at one point he couldn't leave the house for five years. Now he comes here and does a few bits in town before going home. Think this is amazing!  Once you have been going long enough and know the horses and what you're doing you go in and get on with it. They dont supervise you constantly at that point. My confidence needs that kind of a boost!

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you so much for sharing this @Franstrahan! Some great photos and I'm so glad you had a great time! 
    Scope

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Jake is very handsome! So pleased it went well, looking forward to following your journey with these beautiful creatures :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    It sounds like you had a great time @Franstrahan! Did you have a favourite horse today? Tammy looks enormous!

Would you be happy to share some information on where you found information on horse therapy etc on this thread? I'm sure lots of our members would be very interested. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bettahm
    @Adrian_Scope
    Yes sure. My autism diagnostic centre sent me the leaflet about this place. I'll post their website address in a bit, just got to find it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for the photos & the information. It's great you can now go each week; something to look forward to.
  • Bettahm
    @Adrian_Scope
    Here's the website

Inspired-eal.co.uk
  • Bettahm
    @Adrian_Scope
    @Ami2301
    @Chloe_Scope
    @chiarieds

I'll post a few more photos next week. The obstacle course and the ponies in particular. Adrian, Tammy weighs almost a ton, at 900kgs. Imagine leading her round an obstacle course in reverse! 
    Jake has to be my favourite after grooming him today. Never kissed a horse before! 
    Magnolia is just 9 months old, at the other end of the scale is Ebony who is 27yo! They've not had these two very long either.
    Noble creatures, horses, who have served man for centuries. But never imagined they could do this sort of thing.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Sounds like you really enjoyed it @Franstrahan! Wow that is a big horse! Be careful it doesn't step on your foot!!

I look forward to hearing all about it next week. :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    They have 6 horses - Jake, Magnolia, Tammy, Charlie, Bree and Ebony - and 2 ponies, Toffee and Pepsi. Horses are apparently very sensitive creatures due to being prey animals in the past, they pick up on your mood and emotions quickly. Making them ideal for working with ASD people, also ADHD and depression and anxiety. So the idea is controlling your mood so the horse will respond to you. Having control over a large animal like a horse will boost your confidence, and working in unison with him will help develop social skills.
    I got to groom Jake today, maybe next week I'll get to lead one of the ponies round an obstacle course. Starting small! The largest horse there is Tammy, weighing in at 900kgs. I've got a lot more to find out and learn but apparently you can work up to leading a horse in reverse around the obstacle course! So theres grooming, mucking out, preparing their feed, leading, and the obstacle course, probably more as I go on. Like us, the horses can have good days and bad, and sometimes they will not respond the way you want.
    I will update as now a weekly event for me, they are fully funded, the sessions are free.
    Have a few photos to post, few more next week of the obstacle course etc. And they have a huge barn so all done indoors in bad weather.

Tammy with Mike, the owner.

Jake in the barn.
    Charlie and Tammy

The ponies were camera shy today, will take more next week.  The centre has a guy who comes regularly, suffers from anxiety, and at one point he couldn't leave the house for five years. Now he comes here and does a few bits in town before going home. Think this is amazing!  Once you have been going long enough and know the horses and what you're doing you go in and get on with it. They dont supervise you constantly at that point. My confidence needs that kind of a boost!
    Do you know Fran? I can already feel the benefit you`ve gained in the tone of your words. Well done you and those gorgeous geegees!
  • Bettahm
    @pollyanna1052
    I was wanting to get way ahead of myself yesterday, after grooming Jake, wanting to lead one of the horses! I think they might let me lead a pony next week.
    When I was a pet carer I got to look after pigs and sheep occassionally, never horses, and never had much to do with them, which I've regretted. So finally making up for lost time. 
  • Bettahm
    Just thought I'd post these photos. The light wasnt great there on Thurs. but here goes anyway...

This is Magnolia, shes just 9 months old.

Charlie. 16yo. Has back problems so cant be riden.

And finally Jake, after I'd groomed him. Well, you should have seen him before I'd groomed him!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Great photos @Franstrahan! Are you there today? :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    @Chloe_Scope
    I've just posted in a new thread. There every week now :)

Brightness