Esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa

bcfc
bcfc Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
Can anyone tell me please the date & year the esa underpayment is being reviewed from dwp have told me 2012 & was everyone moved over at the same time

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Backdating to November 2011. No, everyone didn't migrate over at the same time, some were later, some were earlier.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bcfc
    Hi poppy I'm a bit confused about this so its long. as i said before my wife passed away August 2019. her circumstances never changed in the last 10/11 years we were seperated 2002 but not divorced & the last 10 yrs i looked after after i heard she was ill. i have received £550 underpayment for the esa mistake from February 18th 2012 to 13th April 2012. i phoned asking  why it would only be for that amount  of    time & was told that from 14th april 2012 she was paid the right amount. this was broken down as follows living expenses based on n.i contribution extra money for being in the support group £32.45 extra money for looking after you at home £55.30 extra money for looking after you at home £14.05 this is the total amount of esa you are entitled to is £169.20 am i right in saying that this is £338.40 every 2 weeks. also with no change in circumstances in the last 10/11 years would dwp have taken 1 of those benefits off my wife.  
  • poppy123456
    Those figures tell me that she was claiming the income related top up from April 2012. The wording you've used for what the amounts are for are not correct though.

It would have been ESA single person over 25 £71.00 +
                                 ESA Support Group amount £32.35 +
          Enhanced disability premium single person £14.05 + This is paid because she was in the Support Group claiming Income Related.
      Severe disability premium (paid because she lived alone and no one claimed carers allowance for looking after her) £55.30

Total amount £172.70 per week. Fortnightly amount £345.40.

Your separate amounts were correct but you added it incorrectly. This means that from April 2012 she was claiming the correct amount of money. Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • bcfc
    Thats word for word on the letter they sent i thought  it was a funny way of putting it.  anyway one more puzzle for you you say & i think youre right £345.40 every 2 weeks. but i have found 2 of her bank statements from June & july 2019 & her fortnightly payments were £306.20 bearing in mind that there were no change in circumstances have they taken 1 of her benefits off her. i never looked at her statements until now can you try & work that out please

• poppy123456
    No, i can't think of anything that would have made those payments decrease, to that amount. Unless money was being taken from her benefits to pay something back, which could be possible.
  • bcfc
    No she was never overpaid & never had any loans 
  • poppy123456
    Then i have no idea why it was reduced to that amount because none of the premiums make up that amount. The only ones that can answer that question are DWP.

All i can tell you is the amount that she received from April 2012 were correct for the benefits rates at that time.
  • bcfc
    Yes i agree i will phone dwp & try & find out & let everyone know because it doesnt ring right & the woman said also that 2011 doesnt count 
  • poppy123456
    It won't count if she wasn't transferred in 2011. The £550 could also have been the Severe disability premium payment of £55 per week. Extremely difficult and almost impossible to advise without knowing all of her exact circumstances during that very short time and this just isn't possible on an internet forum. As advised, the money received from April 2012 is correct for that benefit year.
  • bcfc
    Thanks Poppy you've been a great help 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.