Would buying a single shoe be beneficial to you? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would buying a single shoe be beneficial to you?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2020 in Coffee lounge

You'd be surprised how many single shoes get thrown away, but are they useful for you?

To most people, shoes come in a pair. Yet we know this isn't always helpful for some.

Yellow background with a single yellow trainer

Would you benefit from buying a single shoe? Do you have experiences of buying single shoes? We'd love to hear from you!
Scope

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Never bought one, but accidentally took one from a display home, when it got stuck to the back of my wheelchair!

I guess if people have only 1 leg or a foot that wouldn't hold a shoe, then buying one is appropriate.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    @pollyanna1052    :D   Had to laugh at that. Very true about amputees all the same, but it would probably be cheaper just to buy a pair then donate the other one.  Surely there must be a demand?

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Never thought about that! 

I order special shoes for my son. He has a orthopedist who looks at his feet and recommends some shoes based on the measurements. How does that work then? 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @April2018mom   The answers are the following to your questions.

All shoes, boots are made by an outside sourced supplier . Assigned and contracted by NHS.

In my area it is Peacocks been using them since I was 15 years old.

You can go to the GP.  Who can make an appointment at any hospital with a orthopaedist .

Your sons feet are measured well they will ask him to put his feet in a polystyrene box to get a foot imprint.

Then use that for measurements.

Some clinics restrict you to two pairs of foot wear an year.

I hope that helps you.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @Chloe_Scope Off topic a bit but I always wonder how those lone shoes end up in the middle of the road. Do people just chuck them out their car windows :|
  • Chloe_Scope
    Very true @Cressida....

Are their any amputees that would benefit from being able to purchase a single shoe? Rather than having to buy two?
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    Is there anyone else who'd want to comment on this? :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    There is a group set up on facebook called jo"s odd shoes they supply single shoes or odd size shoes. They get them donated by shoe suppliers and also from members sending in the shoes they dont need. All you pay for is postage £3.50 this is non profit group which donate any proceeds to charity. They have excess supplies currently and looking for new members 

Brightness