How do you have your brew? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you have your brew?

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
edited April 2021 in Coffee lounge
With all the talk about Brew Monday, it got me to thinking about what makes the perfect cup of tea. I've never found a foolproof technique for the perfect cuppa. I'm bad at gauging how long to leave it brewing or how much milk to add. I've had people tell me that I've made them the worst cup of tea they've ever had and then others say it's frankly the best. A cup of tea from me can be summed up as Schrödinger's Cuppa. Until you drink it, it's potentially both disgusting and delicious. So, I need some tips.

It's really about time I nailed down the life skill that is making a proper cup of tea. So, how do you make yours? Does there always need to be a biscuit? If so, what kind? Do you put the milk in first and if you do, what other disgusting things do you do with hot drinks? Show me a photo of your next cup of tea, or compare it to the colour chart above!
Community Manager
Scope
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Weathers original for me. Use teabags squeeze with spoon few times add milk last and must be drunk hot 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    A BREW ??     At least 4.5 alcohol with a nice creamy head.  Newcastle Brown springs to mind.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Wouldn't dunk my digestives in that, mind.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    @Adrian_Scope
    For the perfect cup of tea:

Teabag in mug
    Add a dash (not enough to cover the bottom of the mug) of semi-skimmed milk (not full milk)
    No sugar or sweeteners of any kind
    Add boiling water
    Leave teabag in mug till you've drunk it
    Drink it while very hot
    Repeat as often as necessary
    Remember to replace teabag with a fresh one each time

Perfection in a mug
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    For me it has to be milk first, just a little semi skimmed. A couple of sweeteners but not sugar. Add boiling water and keep tea bag in until the right colour is achieved (tannin salon) No biscuits, need to watch my waist line.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    @Adrian_Scope
    For the perfect cup of tea:

Teabag in mug
    Add a dash (not enough to cover the bottom of the mug) of semi-skimmed milk (not full milk)
    No sugar or sweeteners of any kind
    Add boiling water
    Leave teabag in mug till you've drunk it
    Drink it while very hot
    Repeat as often as necessary
    Remember to replace teabag with a fresh one each time

Perfection in a mug
    When I was working as a gardener I usually got offered a cup of tea by the client at some point. I always asked for two sugars in it, then at least it tasted of something.
    No one makes a cuppa like you make it yourself :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m not a tea person at all. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Tea or coffee semi skimmed milk, 1 sugar (half if im feeling fat !) quite strong, tend to drink more coffee than tea tbh
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Werther's original is perfection! Tea bag and hot water first, 2 level sugars, leave for a minute, squeeze the tea bag with the spoon and add a splash of milk!

@Adrian_Scope, I use a liquid level indicator (because of my sight) which means it beeps at a certain point for the water and again for the milk. It means you get a perfect cuppa every time and don't spill hot water everywhere!  :D
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    very weak black tea...you just threaten it with a tea bag....got to be able to see the bottom of the cup

coffee.....latte or cappuccino with half a teaspoon of sugar
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    'Tannin' for me ....two sugars ( I can take tea without milk but not without sugar) ...boiling water on tea bag but not milk first as the milk will start brewing with the teabag . 
    I enjoy a dolce gusto coffee ( machine ) latte , once per day ( late afternoon ) with three sugars ?
    I like a nice cup of tea in the morning ,
    just to start the day you see
    and 'round about 11 , my idea of heaven,
    is a nice cup of tea
    I like a nice cup of tea with my dinner ,
    and a nice cup of tea with my tea,
    and at 9 pm at night , 
    what goes down a treat ?
     your right, 
    it's a nice cup of tea.
    ??
  • still_c
    still_c Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Some time ago I really got into pour-over coffee. As for me, everything about it is perfect, taste, smell, temperature. I even got crazy enough to buy a weird special kettle to control the temperature of the water that I use to make it. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I am a coffee person 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Yorkshire tea is the key to making a good cup of tea.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    @lisathomas50 - I'm with you, coffee for me every time. 

Doesn't matter the boil or the brand, I'm not fussy. Just black and very, very strong :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I like coffee too but I also drink tea. I quite like oolong tea but I’ll drink anything really.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I like to have one coffee each day, normally a Nescafe Gold sachet.  Caramel and vanilla are my top favourites
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness