Assistive Technology Question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assistive Technology Question

Options
Vickyw221
Vickyw221 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, 

Does anyone have any information on grants for technology for older adults with a disability? E.g. iPads, Echo Dot etc. 

Or if anyone could advise me of where I would find information on this? 

Thanks

Vicky 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Vickyw221 Have you tried looking for a charity - which is linked to the disability - and see if they offer any grants? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome @Vickyw221!

Try searching for a charity that helps people with the condition. Alternatively what about trying to find out if the local council can help you or not? The DLF has a number of useful information sheets on various aspects of living with a disability. Take a look at their site or call them tomorrow for advice. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Vickyw221 and a welcome to the community!

Here is a grant checker tool which could show you a list of possible support.

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• 8cent8
    8cent8 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Vickyw221 said:
    Hello, 

Does anyone have any information on grants for technology for older adults with a disability? E.g. iPads, Echo Dot etc. 

Or if anyone could advise me of where I would find information on this? 

Thanks

Vicky 

Hi, have you thought about what you would like to achieve with the aid of assistive technology?

Most 'smart-home' products are relatively cheap to buy but setting them up to control your environment might take  some 'know-how' and some physical input.

Have you contacted your regional Occupational Therapist?

Sometimes they are in contact with charitable organisations who provide the support that is needed to configure 'smart-home' devices, your Occupational Therapist may supply the items of technology if your outcomes were met.

I suggest:

Itemise your aims that this type of technology could address.

1. Come back to this forum with a view to gaining the advice from other forum members and the forum Assistive Technology experts advice on what smart technology items that you would need to address your needs.
    2. Contact your local Occupational Therapist then identify your needs, followed by what items of ‘smart-technology’ you think you will need to address your own needs.
    3. Let your Occupational Therapist handle things from here.

Brightness