Occupational health dr - likely to be declared incapacity to do job — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Occupational health dr - likely to be declared incapacity to do job

Alpine88
Alpine88 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hello

I am due to see an Occupational Health dr paid for by my employer. Due to the nature of my illness following unsuccessful surgery and further complications it is likely I will be deemed uncapable of completing my job role. My work has made appropriate adaptations and I feel there is nothing else they can do to make my employment with them tangible. I am at peace with this and understand if they dismiss me due to ill health I can apply straight away for ESA. 

I just wanted to know, upon receipt of their report from the Dr I imagine I'll be called in for a dismissal meeting. Is it likely to work like this? I just want to leave now as I am wasting their money and there is no other job role that would be feasible for me to do there. What I can't do is hand my notice in, I must make sure they are the ones to dismiss me under medical grounds. 

Does this sound right to people? Is there anything I should be aware of? 
I will arrange for a union rep to accompany me to the dismissal meeting. 

Any thoughts gratefully received
Thanks
Alpine

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hi,

You need to claim SSP first, as i advised on your other thread here. https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/68313/on-1-2-pay-want-to-leave-job-claim-ssp-then-esa#latest If you're entitled to it then your employer must pay you this for 28 weeks. Once it ends then you can claim ESA, with a fit note and your SSP1 form.

It's unlikely you will be dismissed until your SSP has ended. I'm still unsure why you would want to claim New style ESA than SSP because the ESA will pay less per week. Personally, i would rather claim SSP any day that have to go through the ESA work capability assessment process any earlier than i really have to.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Alpine88! Just wanted to check in to see how you were getting on and if there was anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• Alpine88
    Alpine88 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Hi
    Just wanted to update you on what happened now things have calmed down. 
    I had my app with the Occupational Health Dr who declared me unfit for any meaningful work. The report was sent with my consent to my employer that very afternoon. My HR manager called me the next day and dismissed me over the phone (she cried which was very touching) 
    I then was given 1 months notice at full pay and received pay for outstanding annual leave. My employer were so compassionate. It was hard going in to clear out my desk and say goodbye. 
    I then submitted my ESA application the day after my contract ended (this was the day after lockdown began)
    I dropped the application plus loads of medical evidence to the JCP in an envelope. That was the Friday and I had a call on the Monday to go through my application. I've just received my first payment. 
    My understanding is that I'll be in the standard group but with no expectations to do any job searching etc and once they can do face to face work again I'll have an assessment to be put into the support group. They also confirmed the financial difference between work group and support group would be backdated. 
    Have to say, I am very impressed by their quick working at the moment and how smooth the process has been so far! 
    Keep safe everyone and thank you for your help x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for taking the time to update us @Alpine88. I imagine it was incredibly difficult to do that, I'm glad to hear the process went smoothly though! 
    Scope

Brightness