Any tips for getting rid of lower back pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any tips for getting rid of lower back pain

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
Woke up this morning hardly able to move. This isn't new but it's been a few years since so painful. In 1984 I put my back out, and now have scoliosis, a twisted neck, and pelvis. Since 2011 arthritis in spine. From 1984 was bad for 3 years, but since then no problem really, just bothers me occassionally. Like now. This is the pelvis bit. There is normally this big muscle that goes into spasm and as a result i get sciatica all down my right leg. But this is more a lumbago thing, i think.
Should i lie down, or try to keep moving, or?
I've put some deep heat cream on and taken a couple of paracetamol. About to go and lie down again, as not too clever standing up.
Feel sure somebody here will have some coping methods, and what to take/do for the pain.
Thank you.

Comments

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi @Franstrahan. I have scoliosis. I use voltarol gel on my back, it stops the pain. I tried deep heat but had a nasty reaction to it. Also heat is good for easing the pain. Try heat pads they may help. Hope the pain goes away soon! 
  • Bettahm
    @deb74
    Thanks @deb74. I'll look for voltarol if I can get out today. I have an old hot water bottle somewhere which would make a heat pad. Remember I have used that in the past. 
    Yes, I hope the pain pushes off pretty fast! Cant hardly walk at the mo.
    Thanks again.
  • Bettahm
    Well, the hot water bottle is upstairs and I cant get up there! Have to keep using the deep heat cream for the mo.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi @Franstrahan. I get my voltarol from superdrug  it is about £8 a 50mg tube but it lasts me about a month depending on how often I have to use it. Hope you feel better soon. I know how bad the pain can get. Not sure how active you are normally but I now walk a lot more than I used to and it definatley helps. I used to be in a lot more pain and some days I could hardly walk before I started to go for walks. It might be hard at first but you will definatley see and feel the benefits of exercise!
  • Bettahm
    @deb74
    I originally got like this in 1984 and they wanted to operate then, said I'd be in hospital 6 months so I said no! After the original 3 years of trouble with it, it just comes back to bite me occassionally. I'm hoping this one will wear off quick as on my own with no help. I have worked as a gardener at one point doing some pretty heavy stuff like installing fish ponds, so I'm usually alright.
    Dont know where this 'attack' came from!
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Franstrahan   good morning to you.  Sorry to hear this my friend.

Please can I just say . I remember you mentioned working with the horses.

If that involves mucking out or any physical activity, like bending or using muscles not known.

Can be effected later on, reoccur again after a few days.

Does not matter done Gardening used to lifting, carrying. When ever that was this now.

I used to do kennels, stables look after animals, horses. Cats, dogs. Done gardening volunteering now can not do all of that.

I would suggest if you even riding any of the horses can be sometimes the after effects might occur.

I also know did a post on this yesterday. Chronic Pain and Diet, Nutrition that any condition effecting bones, backs and other like joints.

Need to be maintained. Looked after and being sensible.

Please have a  read, this something I am aware of my self.

Past history, so be careful. Had rest day yesterday house work duties Tuesday and Wednesday stop rest stop rest. Music helps so does the sandwich.

Favourite sandwich make it and then do task then eat it.

Please add if I can as we age older the spine fuses the body loses muscle tone and strength, bone density.

You need all the time be thinking of adding certain food groups to help you.

Good fruit and vegetables. Lean Meat, pulses. Protein and most important of all Calcium and to build up the muscles.

I eat PNB  a lot organic one . Plenty out there full of Sugar, Palm Oil yuk. 

Please also inform your GP anything with diet changes or physical problems to be sensible.

I hope you recover but you have to be thinking positive you can do all the things you want to the horse therapy, never wished to put your off.

Done this myself after a day had back ache, pain in legs due to scrubbing and cleaning stables, the horses and got tired.

Just be aware of this.

Additional tip after any activity like this what ever your doing have water chill relax, take a bath muscle soaks.

Replenish your body use Soup or fruit to help you get back your energy.

Whatever works for you.

No cakes, biscuits full of sugar yes but short live energy get a buzz but does not help.

Bread whole meal or a muffin or crumpets with PNB.  Helps, malt loaf or the Cornflakes in a bowl milk topped with an Apple.

Yoghurt or fromage frias in a bowl with Apples or Pears with touch Honey  or Microwaved Baked Potato with low fat Cottage Cheese or baked beans.

Helps. brings back the energy .

Please if you have any thing questions to ask me happy to share and care.

Please take care and take it easy. 

Your friend

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Bettahm
    @thespiceman
    It's been creeping up on me a few days now and does just happen for no reason out of the blue sometimes, ever since the original injury in 1984.  Hoping it will vanish as quickly as it came. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I know it is difficult to change your posture, as I have a twisted spine and tend to lean over to the left. Keep checking how you are sitting, lying, standing if you can.

I recently got a new back support cushion for my wheelchair and it has made a huge difference.

• Bettahm
    @pollyanna1052
    Thanks Polly. My left shoulder is higher than my right one, and I am guilty of bad posture when sitting and standing. Used to have a backless chair where the bit you sit on slopes forward and theres a knee rest so it kind of forced you to sit up straight, but comfortably. Have remembered to sleep with a pillow between my knees to keep my back straighter tonight. Currently standing, and not wanting to sit in case I lock! 
  • Bettahm
    Seems it's much better if I'm standing or moving. If I sit down its painful again when I get up. I think it's that big muscle again, inflamed. But no sciatica this time which is a blessing.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Electric heat pads are great.  Every home should have one. Favourite is infra red, but they are hard to source. Strangely,  sometimes there is pain which demands ice instead of heat. Be obedient to what your back wants.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Franstrahan   Apologise for late reply . Please can I suggest  make an appointment with your GP.

Understand I had given you a lot to look at . I still think need to visit GP.

I mentioned to you working at the stables , if you were having problems doing physical could be that could be anything.

That is what they are there for. One other point if you have to admit if you did go would it not be a peace of mind some reassurance.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Bettahm
    @newborn
    Back in the old days (that's 1984 when I first hurt my back) I was an outpatient for physio at the local hospital. Laying under the infra red lamp was part of the treatment, followed by traction.
    Last time I got physio was in 2011 when they informed me they dont use those things any more!
    Currently relying on Tiloket gel which contains ketoprofen, and paracetamol. The back keeps locking on me, even when standing now, which is painful. Hope to get out tomorrow or Sunday to get something for it.
  • Bettahm
    @thespiceman
    Thank you Spiceman. It wouldn't be the stables as not working there, just playing with the horses as an ASD therapy. Last time I saw my doc about this back problem was in 2011 and he was totally disinterested then, just kept saying take pain killers. He did eventually refer me for physio but I had to keep going back pestering him for it. I suspect he sees an awful lot of people with back trouble. Mine is a longstanding problem dating back to 1984. Just could do with being rid of it as totally on my own now, and it leaves you unable to do things, as I'm sure you know. I have to ring docs for a sick note next week, so will mention it then. But hope it's better by then!!! Thanks again.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Spanish physiotherapists still use infra red for pain, so do private uk ones. Surprised to hear your physio said they don't do it. Or was  it only the traction part they have abandoned?
  • Bettahm
    @newborn
    No it was both, traction and infra red. I cant remember what they did now in 2011 but I know I waited so long for the referral to come through my back was just about better.
    I used to like the infra red lamps back in the 80's too. I think they helped as they released some of the tenseness all snarled up in there.
  • Bettahm
    Well it felt a bit better yesterday but is going downhill again today. Did just manage to get upstairs for the hot water bottle, but wont be going up there again! Hope the heat relaxes the muscle. Cant sit down, and cant get my clothes off currently.  Managed to get to the supermarket yesterday, maybe overdid it.
  • AndyGT
    AndyGT Community member Posts: 736 Pioneering
    Franstraha .... I do hope that it improves soon for you. Back pain is part of an ongoing problem for me. It makes life very very difficult for me.  I have a 'spinal cord stimulator' implanted on my lower back and it really does help.  I just have to remember to charge myself every day.  Apart from that a microwaved wheat pad helps.
  • Bettahm
    Thank you @AndyGT. I tried a hot water bottle this morning, didnt help. Been walking round the house just doing gentle stretching exercises. No sciatica this time, and I usually get that, so hoping the absence of it is a good sign, and it might clear up quickly. 
    Your problem sounds very nasty. Mine is scoliosis, twisted spine, neck and pelvis since 1984, but most of the time wouldn't know I had it. Just comes back to bite me occassionally. Have arthritis in the spine too since 2011.
    Really need to find some coping methods for my back now I think. 
  • AndyGT
    AndyGT Community member Posts: 736 Pioneering
    Sorry to hear about so much pain. It'd not nice and until someone has had it or lived with someone that suffers with it it's difficult to explain.  Mine was as a result of an accident whilst in the police. I then spent a year walking not knowing I had a slipped disc and nerve damage.  For ten years or so everything was gradual  but in the past 10 ,years things have deteriorated much quicker and life is just much harder.  I have had acupuncture , quorterized nerve endings, epidurals and obviously tablets. Some of the stuff suggested here I have tried and find it works for a period..... Oh and I now have arthritis in my neck and shoulders but to  be honest I could be worse and I am grateful for my friends and this site... I hope things get better to some degree or at least do not get worse.   Take care. 

Brightness