Divorce disabled child Carers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Divorce disabled child Carers

flowermama
flowermama Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi
im new, looking for advice about getting divorced while being main parent and Carer of a disabled child.
my ex is only breadwinner.
im unlikely to be able to work as child gets dla and I get Carers.
iF I was to claim universal credit would my previous savings be counted? What about my pension (which I don’t claim yet as I’m not at that age). 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

May i ask what you mean by previous savings?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • flowermama
    I saw on a benefits calculator that the Dwp will take into account any capital that you’ve given away or spent even if you no longer have access to it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    That's only for those who already claim means tested benefits. However, when claiming a means tested benefit if you have given away savings they may ask questions why you did this because they could think that you did it to claim a means tested benefit, which could be classed as deprivation of capital. Bank statements will be needed when claiming a means tested benefit.

Your future pension is not counted when claiming UC because you're not yet claiming this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • flowermama
    Ok thanks. Is there a time limit that they check?6months? A year? 2years? 

Brightness