Will ESA stop? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will ESA stop?

Amberto
Amberto Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello i wonder if you can help me -im on the edge of a very steep cliff and a letter i received in post today has pushed me over the edge - i turned 58 last week have suffered lifelong anxiety depression social phobia body dysmorphia and other conditions - have zero quality of life havent wanted to be here for a longtime my ex left for someone else because i couldnt sit in a restaurant never.mind go on holiday - ive never so much as been on a plane  ive accepted my limitations- my wonderful children are 25 and 34 - i couldnt even attend their graduation/wedding which destroyed me but they understood - 2 years ago i stopped eating/drinking completely - even water for 3 months because i wanted to die when the ambulance came i was hours from death was hospitalised with severe acute kidney injury dehydration and malnutrition - i had 24/7 pysychiatric care at my bedside & had support of crisis homecare when i got home - a social worker helped me get on benefits - ive recently been re awarded esa and put on support group but after a home assessment for pip renewal i was awarded zero points despite fact im housebound/a total recluse with no life and my arthritis is much worse -id been standing on the edge of a very steep cliff and this has pushed me over the edge-the events ive mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg ive wanted to be gone for a longtime and this has confirmed that no matter how hard i try the world doesnt want me  - if it wasnt for my children id be long gone - ive placed a mandatory reconsideraton based on my recently awarded SG ESA  but my worry is that my esa will reduce/stop - i dont have any fight left in me - please advise  

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Amberto    Pleased to meet you.

Sorry to hear what you have been through.

You have done the right thing joining us and we as a Community are here to be supportive, offer compassion and empathy.

I am one of the team of Community Champions. Our role is to offer information, advice and guidance.

I have mental health anxiety and depression, disability and addiction history.

Advise support members with mental health , diet, nutrition and might  have addiction history. Do help and offer my expertise and knowledge.

Please consider speaking to these mental health charities.

They can help you get your life back on track offer a lot of support, information, advice on a number of important and relevant problems associated with mental health.

Including benefits would help here, be supportive. Do attend assessments, fill in forms. Also speak on your behalf is need to.

Diet, nutrition, wellbeing, and any thing related.  Housing social problems. Anything else.

Sleep, meds and dealing with coping methods, strategies.

Might not be in all areas. You can self refer. or speak to your GP.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Please if I can help with anything please ask.

I have a lot of knowledge, expertise on mental health having the condition a very long time.

Ready to listen and be supportive, please get in touch.

I do understand and feel for you. I am middle fifties my self being on a lifetime treadmill with the DWP.

Always here to reassure give you self esteem.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Amberto and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear of everything you have been through and can appreciate how difficult and upsetting things have become for you.  @thespiceman has given you very good information and links above so when you are able to, I would advise you to look into these for support with your mental health.  We are here to support you on the Community so please chat to us anytime as there will always be someone here to chat to you and listen.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  If there is anything we can do to help/support you then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Amberto - Welcome to this great community. I'm pleased you've joined us all, as already you can see the support, & helpful advice that may be a way forward for you. People here really do care, so this little part of the world undoubtedly wants you, as well as your children wanting you too. You are now a part of this community that will do its utmost to help & support you in any way we can.
    As Ails says, please when you can, look at thespiceman's links, as he has a great understanding of mental health problems. And there's nearly always someone here to listen.
    As far as your arthritis goes, have you asked your GP for advice on this, to see if he can help, as it's worsened?
    As far as your benefits go, if I've understood correctly, you were recently put in the Support Group for ESA, but, following a home assessment for a PIP renewal, you didn't get any points.
    ESA as you know, is about your capability for work, but PIP is about how your disability affects you, looking at daily living activities, such as washing, dressing & preparing a simple meal. They are completely separate & different awards. Your PIP claim, & your Mandatory Reconsideration, will not change the amount of money you get for SG ESA, so please try not to worry about that.
    Sadly, most often Mandatory Reconsiderations are unsuccessful, but you'll have to wait & see.
    Remember, we're here for you. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.