In pain all the time - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

In pain all the time

Comments

• EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    I guess that's why they now talk about pain management rather than resolving pain, all in all its definitely a process that can take time...
  • avakarlsson
    avakarlsson Community member Posts: 333 Courageous
    Hi Emma,

I do go to pain management at the hospital I go to, I thought it would be different but the person only talks to you about it, I thought it would be different physio involved too but it’s not. 

I haven’t benefited from pain management. I’m still going to the appointments but I feel it doesn’t help 
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    @avakarlsson
    I think the problem is that it can be luck of the draw who you get... I went to pain management last year with extreme pain in my hip.  I didn't hold out any hope [as my disability is rare and my joints are very abnormal] but I met the best physio I have ever encountered there and I went from 9/10 pain to 0/10; mainly because she took time to work out the problem and pin point which exercises, which were actually stretches, would work for me. 
    I was sceptical even at that point that stretches would help but I persisted and persisted and the pain went, if I have a flare up now I just go back to doing them and they still work. 
    My point is that not all physios or pain management personnel are the same so my guess is that it can be hit and miss.
    Just talking about pain probably isn't enough, though I do think it can be part of the picture because when you've lived with pain for a while it can be part of who you are/your identity - Who would you be if you didn't have it?  What would that mean?... 
    I think there are very strong psychological aspects to pain and part of managing it is about believing that is possible.
    Emma

• avakarlsson
    Hi 

Thank you for the information, yes it does depend if you have a good physiotherapist then it will work and I did have physio before and it didn’t work but I’m seeing a hip physiotherapist so hope I get an appointment soon and it will help me 
  • avakarlsson
    There’s never a day I think and notice I am not in pain, everyday chronic pay and just makes you feel sad as it’s gone on for a few years now, and you want to see your best friend which you can but if you want to do something then that day is one of the bad days then you can’t. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, where is your pain and do you know the cause of it.? Is it mainly your hip? I hope the injection you are soon to have, helps.

I have been disabled for 22 years and have had a lot of pain over those years.

I have recently got some amazing pain relief due to quite a simple thing...wheelchair services fitted a new curved back support to my chair.

I cant believe the difference.....No pain as such, just a bit of discomfort.

After years of chronic pain it`s lovely.

So check your posture and support, if you can. xxx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @avakarlsson, please do let us know how you get on with the hip injections! Hope you're having a good day. :)
    Scope

• avakarlsson
    Hi 

yes I’m just praying and hoping the injection going in my hip joint will stop the pain even if it’s temporary while they decide what to do for my hip, I will still have the chronic neck pain 
  • JazzaG
    JazzaG Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Hi, I'm a newbie too, but I thought I would give you an insight into how I manage my pain. Due to spondylosis, I have lived with varying levels of chronic pain in my neck and shoulder for about 15 years. I had regular steroid injections which helped dull the pain, but didn't stop it completely. I am prone to falling, on one such fall I gave myself whiplash, which has aggravated the nerves in my neck, increasing the pain, which then spread into the back of my head.
    Over the years I have developed arthritis in my hip and knee and lower back pain and sciatica.
    I have tried many different types of painkillers, most are effective at first, but their effect decreases over time. I also now have a hiatus hernia caused by using ibuprofen (nsaids) over a long period of time.  
    I moved to a house within throwing distance of a leisure centre a couple of years ago, and saw an aqua aerobics class advertised. I needed to lose a bit of weight, so I decided to enrol. The exercises are extremely low impact and help you stretch and exercise your muscles and joints gradually, without stress. I feel stronger and a lot more flexible than before, and I seem to be able to move a bit quicker than I used to. I now even go just to swim, a couple of laps of breast stroke is all, but it reduces the pain and keeps me from seizing up. It also elevates my mood, which can't be a bad thing. I would definitely recommend aqua aerobics or any sort of hydrotherapy. Hope this helps.
  • avakarlsson
    Sorry to hear that your in pain too with your condition, I have tried hydrotherapy which didn’t help I am just hoping even with this injection it’s temporary relief for a bit as to what the plan will be, I will have my chronic neck pain but they thinks that’s due to posture. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JazzaG and a very warm welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us and I'm glad to hear that you have found some things which can ease it.
    Scope

• avakarlsson
    Had my hip joint injection on Friday at the hospital I go to I was ok ish after I could walk and eat after I was discharged in the afternoon and in the evening I was in a bit of discomfort but yesterday morning I couldn’t walk or stand had to get an ambulance out and I went to another hospital and they said that happens on day 2 the other hospital I had it done at they didn’t tell me that only told me the basic instructions and what could happen.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    How frustrating @avakarlsson. If you'd known it was going to happen, it probably wouldn't have been half so alarming. How are you feeling today?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • avakarlsson
    Yes it was pretty scary on Saturday when I was about to get up and couldn’t stand or walk, if I got told then I wouldn’t of been scared. Today isn’t too bad still got pain and discomfort from where the injection went in, yesterday was the same pain and discomfort but today I think is a bit more worse 
  • avakarlsson
    So now I have to keep a pain diary for a 1-2 weeks then I can and see the surgeon again in 6-8 weeks then when I seen them they will have a plan on what to do as they are having a meeting in a couple of weeks time to discuss my case 
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Hi @avakarlsson (and @JazzaG )
    I'm just catching up on this thread having had a particularly bad chronic pain month myself.  This chronic pain can be soul destroying can't it? 
    @avakarlsson So glad to see that such good advice has been offered (the article that @EmmaB mentioned is now out and very good!) and I am sorry that you are having such a rough time.  How have you been this week following your injection?
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • avakarlsson
    Yes being in chronic pain all the time is no fun, I have a bit less pain but not much it’s around a 6 and the injection site inside is till tender, from Monday afternoon I haven’t been feeling well, feeling sick dizzy sensation, hot and cold hands and warm forehead, I have got a doctors appointment at 3:10 today 
  • avakarlsson
    I don’t no if it’s from the injection or infection from the injection 
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Hopefully your GP will be able to tell you if you have an infection - good luck and let us know how you get on
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • avakarlsson
    Yes she will say if I have got an infection does anyone know about this injection I’ve had and does it cause making you feel ill.

Brightness