PARENTS FIGHT to DIAGNOSE WHILST your CHILDREN ARE CHILDREN! ! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PARENTS FIGHT to DIAGNOSE WHILST your CHILDREN ARE CHILDREN! !

RiverSong
RiverSong Community member Posts: 3 Connected
Hi I'm River Song,

At 29, I'm finally going through the assessment stage for diagnosis and have 3 different ones on the table. High Functioning Autism, ADHD, and Sensory Processing Disorder. Going for further testing to figure out which ones are going to be most helpful for my life. 

Comments

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately I dont think too much was known re ASD when my parents were often getting called up to the school for talks with the headmistress because of their unruly child.
    But yes I would say to any parent now, fight tooth and nail, and insist on that diagnosis.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree I was diagnosed with it as a child and they said I was lucky as it is harder to get diagnosed as an adult.

I don’t really know what a diagnosis does aside from confirm what you have, though. It doesn’t unlock access to special treatment or medicines, at least it didn’t for me.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope.

My daughter was diagnosed with ASD when she was 17, she's 19 now. Did it make any difference to her..... no, absolutely not. Although a diagnosis does help you know what's wrong, it doesn't help with anything else. You're still the same person you were before the diagnosis.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    I guess it just helps to have the diagnosis while you're still a kid just so you know what the problem with you is, and can tell others. Not leaving them searching for 'labels' such as unruly etc while a child, progressing to slightly more aggressive stuff as you grow up such as 'weird', 'not normal' 'alcoholic' 'lesbian' etc. Which in turn leads to them just blanking you out from society/community.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @RiverSong, great to have you with us! How are you doing? :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @RiverSong. What are your hobbies and interests? 
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    RiverSong said:
    Hi I'm River Song,

At 29, I'm finally going through the assessment stage for diagnosis and have 3 different ones on the table. High Functioning Autism, ADHD, and Sensory Processing Disorder. Going for further testing to figure out which ones are going to be most helpful for my life. 

I was diagnosed as having Auditory Processing Disorder in my late 40s, which explained my life long issues. I was asked to help the UK Medical Research Council regarding their 2004-2009 Auditory Processing Disorder research program. They asked me to set up and run a a support organisation for those diagnosd as having auditory processing disorder. during this time i discovered that i could read research papers, which the researchers often sent me.
    since then i have compiled many research paper collections relating to many invisible disabilities including autism, ADHD and Sensory Processing Disorder. They are based at PubMed whicb allows you to create your own online research paper collections. You may find these three research paper collections of some interest.
    Autism 
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/1v9jzpUc5t6/collections/10371460/public/  
    Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) 
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/1v9jzpUc5t6/collections/10362498/public/  
    Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) 
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/1v9jzpUc5t6/collections/10634081/public/  

I hope you find them useful

Brightness