Will my benefits change? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will my benefits change?

2»

Comments

• jmmiller94
    jmmiller94 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
    My appointment that mind matters is in 3 weeks I'm on the waiting list .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Your fit note will not help your financial situation right now.  As you received £700 wages during this assessment period then you won't receive any UC payment this month.

The fit note you sent means you'll need to be assessed for limited capability for work and that won't happen for at least a couple of months, maybe longer. You'll need to continue to send in the fit notes during this time.

You need to look at claiming the New style ESA for payments, otherwise it will be another 5 weeks before you receive any payments. If you haven't worked enough in the last 2 tax years to pay enough NI Contributions then you won't be able to claim the ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jmmiller94
    How long does it take to recieve anything once you've made an application for new style esa? 
  • poppy123456
    A few weeks but have you worked in the previous 2 tax years and paid enough NI contributions? You haven't answered my questions, so difficult to help because i don't know how long you worked for.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jmmiller94
    I worked from November 2019 to January 2020 full time temporary. Before that I was on universal credit for a couple of months.  Then before that I worked full time at a call centre for just under 2 years? Would that be enough ? Previous before that I have worked part times in bars and before that full time in factories.
  • poppy123456
    The years that count are April 2017 to March 2019. in both those 2 years you need to have worked at least 26 weeks in each year. You also need to have earned at least £5.650 in first year and at least £5800 in the 2nd year.

All you can do is start a claim, once a decision's been made they will write to you, if you haven't paid enough NI Contributions then your claimed will be refused. You will need to ask your GP for a copy of the fit note because you will need this to claim.

Or there's other ways to claim.

How to claim

Fill in a NSESAF1 claim form to apply for ‘New Style’ ESA.

You can either:

• download and print the NSESAF1 form
    • call the UC helpline to get one through the post or by email

If you cannot download the form or use the phone, you can get a claim form from your local Jobcentre Plus.

Universal Credit helpline

Telephone: 0800 328 5644
    Textphone: 0800 328 1344

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jmmiller94   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear about your struggles.

I am one of the team of Community Champions. Also like my friend @poppy123456 .

Please if I can suggest and advise to you have an appointment with Mind Matters please consider in the meantime looking at these mental health charities.

I would think about this because Mind Matters only can offer therapy not the solutions and problems that you require to help you cope with being homeless or having problems with benefits.

A lot of charities do work together to help every one who enrols. Thought this might help.

I have mental health my self anxiety had applied therapy several times same time had applied mental health charities worked together  help me recover.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

All offer floating support, advice on benefits support you with anything benefits. Have in house team and staff on any specific you need to know.

Health, diet, welfare, sleep, medications.  Anything such as employment issues signpost to relevant organisations.

The first charity mentioned as onus on supporting those with mental illness into employment.  Often with supported assistance in employment.  

Housing and any thing else.

I am going to add some more organisations, charities that may be able to give you more support. Many of these are welfare and can be useful.

Worth considering.

Money Advice Centre 

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk.

Helpline 0800 138 7777

Turn2us Welfare benefits any thing else 

https://www.turn2us.org.uk.

Salvation Army

Useful in a crisis often has a number of services and can be supportive.

https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk.

Housing advice consultation helps those homeless.

Shelter

https://www.shelter.org.uk.

Helpline 0808 800 4444

Last one employment agency has specific interest and supports our Community.

https://www.evenbreak.co.uk.

Please give those a look and hope they help you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • jmmiller94
    Hi poppy , I've looked at my statement today and it does say £0. I cant believe it . Because I'm currently sofa surfing and I've recently changed circumstance because of heath do you think I'll be able to apply for a hardship payment or budgeting advance ?
  • poppy123456
    That's what i thought may happen. Unfortunately, hardship payments can only be made to those who have been sanctioned. They won't pay a hardship payment because your earnings during your assessment period reduced your UC to zero.

For the budgeting advance, i'm afraid you need to be claiming UC for at least 6 months so you won't be entitled to claim this.

Have you applied for New style ESA or at least looked at your NI contributions in the years i advised? If you haven't then you will need to do this, or at least apply if you think you'll be eligible.
  • jmmiller94
    Can I apply for the esa online now? What's the worse can happen if I apply 
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    Can I apply for the esa online now? What's the worse can happen if I apply 

Yes, i did advise you to apply 2 days ago but you can't apply online. Details how to apply are here in this link.

The worst that can happen is you'll be refused because you haven't paid enough NI Contributions from working in the tax years April 2017 to March 2019.

It will take a few weeks potentially, for a decision. You will need a fit note from your GP, just ask them for a copy of the one they gave you for the UC claim.

• jmmiller94
    Okay thanks . Can you apply online or is it by postal form?
  • poppy123456
    Please see the link i posted, it's the same one i posted a couple of days ago. It has all the information you need.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.