Jsa and pension pot — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Jsa and pension pot

zoeroses21
zoeroses21 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
My husband and I claim joint Jsa I had a pension pot of £12,000 of which I drew done in installments over the last year,I received a letter today from Dwp from their fraud department asking for a years bank statements they said it was to check if we were receiving the right benefits I didn't think we were doing anything wrong by taking my pension pot in segments obviously we are I am at my wits end,thankyou 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @zoeroses21   Pleased to meet you.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.

Please if I can suggest going to tag one of the team who may be able to advise you further .

@poppy123456 please my friend can you advise this member.

Much appreciated.

Please can I add the lady has exceptional expertise, knowledge on anything like this.

Will be in touch in time.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Thanks @thespiceman for the tag,

The JSA that you're claiming is most likely Income Related. This means that any savings over £6.000 will affect the amount of JSA you're entitled to by £1 for every £250 over that amount. Anything more than £16,000 and you won't be entitled to any means tested benefits.

If what you've taken from your pension each time has increased your savings by more than that amount then yes, you should have told them. If you draw from your pension in small amounts then DWP could start to ask questions and it's most likely why they have contacted you now because they've found out the you've drawn from your pension totally £12,000 in the past year.

If you've been asked to attend an interview then you need to be honest and tell them everything you've drawn from the pension and any other savings you may have.

Are you receiving a weekly amount from the pension? If so then this will be classed as income and will affect your JSA £1 for £1.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • zoeroses21
    Thanking you Poppy they have asked for bank statements dating back to April 2019 but I started taking money from my pension in February of that her but only asking from April,thankyou
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome,

Even though they are only asking from April you still need to report all the money that you've received from your pension.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • zoeroses21
    I am not receiving any income from my pension now as it's all been drawn down in installments since last February, thanks again
  • zoeroses21
    The Dwp have not asked me for interview they sent me letter asking for bank statements so the could see how much I have taken from my pension pot as it may affect our benefits,thank you
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    Taking small amounts in a short space of time could affect your benefits and DWP could treat it as you've taken the whole amount together. If the money has now been spent then they may ask questions what is was spent on.
  • zoeroses21
    Thanks Poppy x
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.