What would you do with 1 million pounds? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What would you do with 1 million pounds?

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
edited February 2020 in Coffee lounge
I thought I’d make a thread about this as a few people decided to answer it on the “ask the next person a question” thread.

I would:

Buy a small cottage up north somewhere where it is cheaper.
Buy a Ford Mustang.
Also the usual go on holiday etc.
But I would put at least the remaining £750,000ish in investments with a decent yield. With a yield of 4% (£30,000 a year) you could live very comfortably.

A bit boring but that is what I would do...

What about you?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    £50,000 to a local foodbank, 50k to a homeless charity, 50k to each of my 2 kids, 25k to my 2 grandchildren, small cottage in the south lakes 600k to see me through (20years maybe?)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    A small cottage with 6 acres of land for my smallholding. Dogs, horses, donkeys, chickens, geese, sheep, peacocks etc. And a large outbuilding for my fish house and a couple of ponds, one ornamental, one natural. Also a rose garden and a large greenhouse for cacti. Somewhere in the country with a sea view.
  • 66Mustang
    Very nice ideas. :)

I notice the constant theme so far is that we would all buy a small cottage!
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I want to treat myself. 

This is my list:

A holiday. 
    A new boat
    A never-ending supply of makeup. 
  • 66Mustang
    edited February 2020
    Very nice @April2018mom

Do you drive boats or would you have someone to drive it for you?

My other idea would be to not buy a house but permanently move around countries as I love travelling. A bit like a permanent holiday but I wouldn’t live in luxury just a normal life in a rented house for maybe 1-2 months then move on. This would be w good way to explore many many countries. I’m not sure how long the money would last though!! A million is a lot but not enough to last a lifetime these days especially with inflation!!
  • Bettahm
    If I was going to do something really crazy I could go back down to London and buy the little 3 bed semi my parents bought for £3000, and still have £250,000 left over!
  • 66Mustang
    If I was going to do something really crazy I could go back down to London and buy the little 3 bed semi my parents bought for £3000, and still have £250,000 left over!
    Wow! :D I bet it would be a good investment and keep going up in price though!
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I would love a bungalow, with a big garden. Preferably living in the city as it's more accessible. Pay off my families debts. A better bed, the one we currently have is not ideal for my back. Donate to a few charities. Things that make my life a bit easier, like equipment and aids. The rest I would put in savings :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    The first thing i'd do is buy my eldest daughter and her partner a house. Buy myself and my other daughter a house, have it adapted to make it easier for me. Take my family on holiday, once my first grandchild is born. Have a headstone put on my late grandmothers grave and the rest i'd save.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Set up trust funds for my 3 dependent kids well adults just about.family holiday somewhere hot would be nice. Buy an electric scooter so I could get some independence back instead of having to rely on someone pushing my wheelchair. X
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Hello @66Mustang Great ideas but some one such as myself has been wealthy now from riches to rags but do not care about money.

As long enough to be happy is that more important, we all think money is the answer.

Sometimes not. First year of my business turned over a hell of a lot of money. Suddenly I was the most attractive gentleman on the planet.

Socially and the rest could not cope with the attention not me the money.

The time had was working and then the business then the feed bucket family.

Million pounds would never entertain it, does last that long.

Remember something important the reason many of 7% of the country who are rich beyond your wildest dreams own 87%.

Due to clever schemes, plans and behind the scenes avoidance of tax.

Mr Taxman loves a new business starts on you straight away any one who knows that , tries to get some sort of agreement.

I am honest and open too honest paid my tax and VAT  claimed for everything argued in offices IRS ones . Some accountants are hell bent on making your life hell as you do employ  them but have the experiences of being in control of your money.

I once had the misfortune to have an accountant who deceived me and ended up costing me more in payments.

Great to have a lot of money soon gets ebbed and sucked dry by those who thought were helping you but not.

Including banks family close friends and worse the women whom you supposed to love you care for you . Taking money out your cash box or expected you to support them for them, fine first but not the whole time every time.

Add to that the ever presence of some one you might meet who is interested in you, great fantastic love each other. In reality deceit, conned lied and finds the bulging wallet the best friend.  Roll of cash with an elastic band . 

So here I am going to buy a car, with cash I mean not a cheque cash. Big expense why not earnt my money done well.  Go to the cash box and find it empty.

In my own bedroom at home with my Parents my Mother . I still reeled from that one.

Need I say more.

Lonely man I ever met was a guy who got a compensation claim.

Talking millions here used his wealth and attitude to buy people use and abuse them and control.

All took as he offered them money, in a pub one time with me present.

Not pleasant not nice at all..  On his own and lonely died.

So there you all go have a million pounds . Enjoy it but will not.

I do have wealth actually not money but of experience, knowledge, expertise. Wealth of being associated with my friends and support I get on here.

Wealth of riches in love, trust and respect. Is that more important being the person you are and using the skills talents to enrich your life.

You can be rich and enjoy life by education, learning, listening from each other.

Must add my cup is filled but if it spills over have enough  of my riches to help others.

Just a thought every one.  Poignant and true.  Think of the recent lottery winners.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Spend 4 hours trying to explain my sudden change of circumstances to DWP... :p

But realistically, very little.  I'd still be stuck with this body & brain, money wouldn't change my problems at all.  I still wouldn't be able to drive a fast/sporty car.  I still wouldn't be able to get more than ~20 minutes from home, or stay out for more than an hour, let alone take a holiday and stay somewhere else.  I wouldn't even be able to switch from value to the Finest range because the posher the food, the more ingredients I'm intolerant to.

I don't like animals...or people...and I can't say I've had any helpful advice from the various mental health charities I've tried so there isn't really a specific charity I'd want to give any to either.  (Well, maybe a little to Scope! ;) )

Sadly I wouldn't even be able to take the plane to Switzerland.  

So yes, I'd buy a bungalow within my ~20 minute radius but hidden away from people and with a garden to potter in.  I'd buy a new (but boring & comfy) car, and I'd replace a few of the dodgy appliances I have now, but I wouldn't be any more content with life.

A million isn't even that much though...if we face the terrifying thought that I might have to be alive for another 50 years; even living as frugally as I do now, £1m wouldn't cover it when you take inflation & tax into account.
  • 66Mustang
    Hmm @OverlyAnxious a bit concerned you want to go to Switzerland for the same reason as I do.

Hope it’s not as sinister? 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:
    Hmm @OverlyAnxious a bit concerned you want to go to Switzerland for the same reason as I do.

Hope it’s not as sinister? 
    I think you know exactly what I mean...

I'd like to drive through the Alps in a red Lambourghini Muira, wearing wraparounds with a cig on the go, bit of Matt Monroe playing on the radio...and head straight into that tunnel without suspecting a thing! B)
  • 66Mustang
    Well, I’m into watches and you get the best ones from Switzerland! :D
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    I have similar thoughts.

Nice little cottage somewhere in or near the Peak District. A hot tub and a new car. Then live off what's left. I like simple things so I'd be happy.
  • Bettahm
    Love that quite a few people would like a nice little cottage in the country!
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Like some of us have said or thought.......no amount of money would give us better health. I`d still need carers...but I`d give them the decent wage they deserve!

I thought I`d answered this thread yesterday..but cant see my comments.

I said I would donate money to;

MS Society
    HSP
    Scope
    My hospice and the one my daughter works at.

Pollsxx
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    edited February 2020
    Great question , I think I would buy a small holiday home in the sun ....which was actually our plan when we retired.( until ill health put a stop to our plans )...My wife has now retired and i retire officially in January 2021. 
    The good weather helps our health problems greatly ( breathing problems and my wife has bad arthritis ) ... I would give a chunk to the charities I already give to just now ...and my three children and grandchildren would get a chunk . Myself and my wife have learned to live modestly ...but happy . ??
  • 66Mustang
    Really nice answers everyone. I notice we all would continue living relatively modestly which I thought was interesting. 

Brightness