pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip

Tash1
Tash1 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi so I applied for pip on the 9th of September I get the forms and filled them out ( cousin wrote for me) as I suffer with extreme fatigue anyway I had a f2f early December got a text 2 weeks later saying they receive the report I have “Crohn's, anemia, gallstones and under a dermatologist for my skin” the women who did my f2f was lovely a young lady who was a paramedic I was accompanied by my auntie who’s very good with communion as I’m not that great, anyway she seemed really understanding she said that my doctor wrote me a lovely letter and she was very sympathetic kept saying that “I was so young” anyway I applied for pip due to my condition worsening I have now been put on biologic drugs which I have to have infused at a hospital every 2/4/6 and 8 weeks aswell as iron infusions as they don’t think my body can absorb iron, I’m really worried that I won’t get it, my condition is horrible I work part time as a sales assistant in a clothes store and I’ve just had a lot of time of because I’m constantly ill, some times I’m either hospitalised or bed bound, I have a 7 year old daughter and my mum helps me to look after her and me when my condition flared up as I cannot get out bed I can’t even take medication because I end up throwing it up due to me not eating for days, I’ve been waiting 22 weeks since I first applied how much longer do you think it will take, personal the money would be great to help me cover unpaid leave at work due to my illness and cost of parking and petrol to get back and to to hospital as it’s half an hour away I do drive but I drive mostly with a pillow behind my back as I have really bad back pain, I was told I also have low mood I was put on sertraline but couldn’t take after one tablet as was making my condition worse ( going to the loo) I also well they think I may suffer from ptsd due to loosing my brother a few years ago it has been noted at doctors “possible ptsd” I hate taking medication so I am going to go back to the doctors and suggest some sort of therapy instead, should I ring up and ask for a copy of my report? I’m just worrying that I won’t get it even tho my condition is terrible I wouldn’t wish it on anyone I have over 200 pages of medical notes I only sent in about 10 but it does states on my colonoscopy report “escalate to biological” “sever crohns” I also sen fit evidence that I get a lose of sensation in my right legs, suffer with back pain, have gallstones, struggles to walk, walks with the a slight limp, I think I’ve sent enough in but I also have a letter fork my ibd nurse staying how dangerous the medication is (Infusions) “possible risk of skin cancer, activation of tb, and lymphoma cancer but I only got that evidence after I applied for pip should I ring them up about that to tell them the possible side effects or won’t that matter? Anyone else have similar condition or same and been awarded pip I’ve seen a hell of lot of been turned down with the same condition 

Comments

• Tash1
    Sorry for spelling mistakes 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,318 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. It's also not about being able to work. Because of these reasons you can't compare 2 people because we are all affected differently by these conditions.

Lots of people successfully claim PIP because of the way their conditions affect them but remember we only ever hear the bad stories. If someone's had an award they are happy with then they have no questions to ask, so we don't hear their story.

As the report has been returned to DWP then if you live in the UK you can ring to request a copy to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. When you receive it look for the dots next to the activities and use the online PIP self test to see if there's any points recommended.

Unfortunately, there's no timescales for any decisions. Backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed.

Once the decision is made, if you're not happy then you'll have 1 month from that date to request the Mandatory Reconsideration.

You can send extra evidence anytime but remember, less is often more.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tash1
    Thank you poppy I will ring tomorrow and request a copy of the report 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tash1 - I just wanted to welcome you to the community as I see you've already had your query answered. I'm sorry you're facing so many medical issues & I hope you get the PIP award you feel is correct. Please do chat here any time as the people here are both supportive & friendly. :)
  • Tash1
    thank you so much chiarieds and yeah it’s been tough and at times I’ve just felt like giving up but I’m a strong person and I’m sure I will get better one day 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tash1 Hello and welcome to the community, Its nice to see you here I am a community champion and just wanted to welcome you. I can understand your many conditions must be hard to live with try and focus on the positives you have like you are still able to work , you have a daughter and sounds like you have family support. I hope you hear soon about your PIP application
  • Tash1
    Hey janer yeah that’s true I am really struggling with working at the minute I’m having a lot of time of if I do go to work I am always in pain which I struggle to deal with customers because I’m in pain that much and get a lot of complaints a lot due to my mood my work isn’t very great in supporting me with my condition I am getting really bad stick for having time of due to my illness and I try my best not to ring in sick because I worry of the abuse I get the day after or when I come back my manager isn’t a very nice person she knows how bad my illness is and all she tells me to is to “sort it out” basically and yes I have a lot of help but I also hate putting it all on my mum as she has to take time of work to look after me so she’s loosing out on pay but I really cannot look after myself or my daughter when I’m really ill as I carnt get out bed to do daily task/ washing or cooking etc...I have to get friends to pick my daughter up from school a lot as I’m either in pain or I’m struggling to keep my eyes open because I’m that drained every day I have to take naps after work before I get my daughter (if I can) just a horrible disease to live with but I no there’s worse people out there than me so I have to be grateful 
  • poppy123456
    Have you spoken to your employer about reasonable adjustments at work? https://www.gov.uk/reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-workers

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tash1, great to have you here. :)

Just wanted to check in to see how you were getting on.
    Scope

• Tash1
    hi just an update I rang up for my report I received it today from going with the report I’ve checked and I have 8 points which I think is the standard rate, there a few things I haven’t said in the report or arnt true she said I drive a manual car and I don’t I have automatic and can only drive automatic on my license, she said that I’m allowed to sit down at work and have a chair which isn’t true, but I’m confused as she ticked that I can walk more than 200 metres but on the example underneath she said that I can walk 50 metres but no more than 200 unaided or aided so I’m not to sure if there’s been some mistake as I don’t no why she would tick that I could then state at the bottom that I carnt, obviously I need to wait for the final decision which I’m happy with the 8 points but should I ring up and just correct them??? 
  • poppy123456
    I’m assuming that will be 8 points for the daily living? 

Regarding the mobility, regardless of which box was ticked for either of those that won’t be enough for a mobility award. 

They mostly go with the report. Once the decision is made if you’re not happy you’ll have 1 month to request the MR. 
  • Tash1
    Yeah for the daily living and yeah I don’t want the mobility as I drive and I don’t need it but was just confused that’s all and fingers crossed just need wait for the decision letter then said I should here this week or next 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.