DWP's (un) reasonable adjustments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP's (un) reasonable adjustments

axwy62
axwy62 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
Due to disability, I can't do phones. DWP eventually and very grudgingly agreed that instead of phoning I can communicate with them via email because they were routinely only responding to correspondence after weeks, if at all. Unfortunately, their system is 'all or nothing' so we can't just do the urgent stuff via email, it has to be everything.
Their system is clunky at best - any post from them has to be printed and posted to the Alternative formats team who then eventually email it to my benefit office who email it to me. My emails to them are passed on then printed and finally posted to the relevant department. For most of last year the system didn't work at all because the person (genuinely, only one in the whole organisation!) who monitored the in box at my benefit office left and wasn't replaced.
In fact, I hadn't had a single routine letter from DWP in over a year and was beginning to think the system would never work. Until last week. Then I had a letter forwarded via email which had taken 17 days to reach me. Of course, it needed a response within 7 days so I'm now waiting with baited breath to see if next week's payment actually arrives. 
This morning I received DWP's explanation. This is the redacted version.

'As our systems only generate postal letters, your letters are sent to Alternative formats by post through the royal mail. All system generated letters go out 2nd class. This means it takes 5-7 working days to reach them for them to be able to convert your letter. Once it reaches their office they convert your letter, as they deal with the whole of the UK, this can take a few days. Your letter is then issued to us to send to you via email. Once received, we aim to get this letter forwarded to you as soon as possible but due to the number of customers we have, we allow up to 10 working days to get this to you.  

Your letter was issued via post (1st date) and converted and sent to us via Email on the (+ 11 days). We forwarded this email on the (+ 6 days). These are within our timescales.'

You really couldn't make this up.

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    gobbledegook at it`s best!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yup, most often things make no sense with DWP. UC does have it's good points and this is one of them, especially for those that are unable to use the phone, the journal helps, providing they answer the questions of course.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    I can never understand anything much from the dwp anyway. But that's a beauty!! What does it say? :)
  • axwy62
    axwy62 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    This is the third time I've complained about post either not reaching me at all or being significantly delayed. The response to my last complaint (now with the Independent Case Examiner) said that all the issues had been resolved and there would be no more missing or delayed post. It came with a covering note apologising for the 3 week delay in sending it to me.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    This is ridiculous you would think that DWP who deal with most disabled people in this country in one way or another had some system to aid disabled people who cant communicate over the phone. It beggars belief in his day and age. Maybe escalate the issue to your MP or get local media involved    

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.