care agency — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

care agency

Options
pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
Hello. I started a new care agency on 30th December. I expected teething problems and we had some.

But several weeks on now and it`s getting worse.

The owner is a very nice woman but seems to be  bungling along as a business woman.

The carers are really good....friendly, kind and we`re getting on well.

But 1 was sacked, as she had a drink problem and someone else told me about her...I`d rather not know.

1 yesterday is leaving after only 4 weeks...due to being messed about with calls... she hasn't been given a day off or been paid yet.

1 this morning, who was told to come at 7.30!!! I was still asleep,  said she is leaving. My proper call time was 8.30.

I rang owner...no reply... I left it 3 hours...still no reply, so I rang supervisor..she has apologised on behalf of owner....and  told me that the boss said she had rung...she didn't...lie!

This is the 3rd agency and they all go belly up. Why is it so bad? The carers complain to me about their bosses. It`s hard to listen without commenting. I`d rather not get involved. I have said this to them. But it continues.

I have only 11 hours to offer a PA. My existing one is great...been with me for 9 years.

Social services gave me a list of PAs...not enough hours or they live too far away.

Oh what to do!

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    Any chance of contacting the  better ones who told you they  were leaving the agency,  and emplowing direct, or asking them to be self employed service providers?

Naturally you can't  poach when they  have a contract with their  employer,  but that cannot tie them forever, especially when the agency is out of business or they have left due to it breaking  terms of their employment contract.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, my 11 hours isn't enough for any of them, unless they left the agency and worked for more than me.

Social Services says we aren`t allowed to use self employed carers now.

Carers get a zero hour contract, which I think I heard Bojo said he would outlaw when he was re-elected.

Just have to see how it goes.

Thank you for your concern xx
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    I heard of a scheme working well. A group of care nurses form a self governing self employed support  agency. They agree together  the best way to make their group of customers happy, at the same time as depending on the rest of the group to work as a united team, so, for instance,  they cover each other for holidays and  emergencies  

They found that  their own professional satisfaction was high, the customers were delighted, and the flexibility of working as a team and being their own bosses meant their costs were lower.  No more rushing from a person who needed extra time on a particular day.  No absurd racing long distances and no not getting paid for travel. No inflexible shifts.

I'm suspicious of your s.s. being able lawfully to ban you from hiring self employed.   If they are equating self employment  with tax fraud, they are on thin ice.

Admittedly the group care  teams are technically independent care agencies, just a very small ones.  They can match the bad inefficient agencies in bidding for care contracts.  As far as I know, the local authority  cannot ban service providers whose workers are self employed,  any more than they could ban them using red haired staff!

The advantage of self employment for staff and for service users is that they can agree between the team if one wants to work less hours one day, or if one wants to work as many hours as possible to build up savings, for instance. Everyone wins, and the cost is lower while the service is unreconisably better.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry you are having problems with your care @pollyanna1052! It really can have such an impact on our lives. How are things at the moment?
    Scope

Brightness