Uc wca assesment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Uc wca assesment

Options
Confusedpartner
Confusedpartner Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all, 

New to the page today looking for some answers. 

My partner had a wca assesment for UC today and after covering all his mental health side of things said that he didn't need to go any further with regards to a disease he has in his wrist and also arthritis in hs wrists. She never performed any of the physical checks that were done on a previous assesment.

He had an assesment last year before he had a correct diagnosis and treatment plan and was deemed fit for work and overturned to limited capability for work at appeal but after hassling them we have got them to relook at his claim because he is going to eed at least 2 different operations and we feel he should be in the lcw&wra category.

Has anyone came across this before when they have depression/anxiety and also a physical condition that they have said the mental health issues seem to cover all thats needed. His orthopaedic consultant provided a letter to say that he wouldn't imagine my parter would be found fit to work when he has to rest and not use his hands as much as possible. 

I am feeling stressed that she only asked about the mental health side of things and not his other illness. Has anyone else had a similar experience and had a positive outcome?

Thank you. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

During a work capability assessment they can sometimes concentrate on one particular condition as apposed to all your conditions. It doesn't mean it's a bad thing though. It could have been that they had enough of information about the other conditions.

All your partner can do is wait a week and ring UC to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent out. This will give them some idea what the decision is likely to be. If they are awarded LCWRA then the extra money will start from when the decision was made and not when the changes were reported.

If you disagree with the decision then you have 1 month from that date to request the MR.

There's no waiting times for decisions but once it's made the letter will be uploaded onto your journal. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Confusedpartner
    Confusedpartner Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Poppy,

Thanks for your reply I think I am getting myself worked with the anxiety of the assesment etc. It was one long day waiting for 2.30 for the assesment. Myself and my partner do feel a little more confident that it went better this time as things have changed. Can only hope that due to the letter of support and the fact the health care professional had researched his condition that may have gone in his favour. Just had Pip renewal recently and getting stressed as you never know with these things. Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.