Females with autism: what it’s like to live with Greta Thunberg’s ‘superpower’ – Sunday Times — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Females with autism: what it’s like to live with Greta Thunberg’s ‘superpower’ – Sunday Times

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

Autism has previously been thought of as a male condition, but researchers now believe that as many as a quarter of the people living with this complex disorder may be female. 

While various studies, together with anecdotal evidence, have put the ratio of autistic males to females anywhere from 2:1 to 16:1, the National Autistic Society now believes that a quarter of the estimated 700,000 people living with autism in the UK, diagnosed or undiagnosed, may be female. 

Yet the society’s research shows that only 20% of girls like Thunberg with Asperger syndrome — or so-called “high-functioning” autism — are diagnosed by the age of 11, compared with half of males.

You can read the full article here: Females with autism: what it’s like to live with Greta Thunberg’s ‘superpower’ – Sunday Times
Scope

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    An interesting read, @Chloe_Scope.  Thanks for sharing.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad it was useful @Ails. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    @Chloe_Scope
    Would have liked to have read all this but not getting into giving my details on anything saying free trial, then monthly subscription. Been stung like that before.
    It does not feel like a 'superpower' to me. Yes they did miss it at school, they had a chance to diagnose it when I was 15ish and saw a school psychologist but that was back in the 70s. So I got suspended from school for being unruly instead. I knew I was different, like I was living on an alien planet, but had no idea what was going on, as did neither my poor parents who protected me from the world for 38 years. It is still an alien planet out there.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.