Finding it difficult to work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finding it difficult to work

jeorgie
jeorgie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi there
I am 60 in 2 weeks and I have spinabiffida in my lower back  I receive PIP and universal credits and I work 16 hours pw .
I'm finding it difficult now to work and wandered if I would be able to give up work and who I would speak to 
 Many thanks.

Comments

• avakarlsson
    avakarlsson Community member Posts: 333 Courageous
    Hi Jeorgie 

I am in the same position as you, I have got health conditions, I have got chronic hip and neck pain, 2 weeks ago I had a hip injection in my hip joint I had to be put under general anaesthetic to see if it would help the pain and to investigate what’s happening in my hip joint. They put local anaesthetic and steroid in my hip point. It has worked it has improved the pain a bit compared to what it was like before. I was working I started August 2018 and since September 2019 I have been off work due to the chronic pain I am in, I have seen my manager twice and I have had two occupational health assessments on the phone. Last month when I saw my manager, they wanted me to have another occupational health meeting which was last week and when I next see them it will either be I will stay at work and start or ill health dismissal. I think it will be ill health dismissal as my pain hasn’t improved much and my neck pain is chronic, I am due to see my hip consultant on the 10th March so I don’t no if I will have more surgery to sort out the problem, as next week they are having a meeting to discuss what to do and see my pain diary too.
  • avakarlsson
    I am on daily living pip and universal credit but I haven’t received any payments as I am getting statutory sick pay. Saturday just gone I had my work health assessment for universal credit, hopefully I will know soon what the decision is and see what group I am in eg LWCRA group. I am getting the assessment report from Saturday I will phone end of this week or Monday to see if that’s come and I can have it sent to me.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    jeorgie said:
    Hi there
    I am 60 in 2 weeks and I have spinabiffida in my lower back  I receive PIP and universal credits and I work 16 hours pw .
    I'm finding it difficult now to work and wandered if I would be able to give up work and who I would speak to 
     Many thanks.

HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

If you're still unable to work then SSP is payable for 28 weeks with a fit note from your GP. Then you would need to give this to your employer. https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay

May i ask if you've been sending in fit notes for your UC claim to start the limited capability for work process off? If you haven't then i'd advise you to do this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jeorgie Welcome to the community. I'm sorry you're finding work difficult, but hope Poppy's advice may help you decide whether you could carry on, or in fact stop. If you have more questions, please do say, as there's usually someone who is able to help/advise.
  • avakarlsson
    How long have you been off work Jeorgie?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    How long have you been off work Jeorgie?

Jeorgie hasn't stopped working, they are working 16 hours per week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • avakarlsson
  • avakarlsson
    How long have you been only doing 16hrs? Has your work got an occupation health department? as they might be able to help you 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @jeorgie, how are you getting on?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.