Your “enability” — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Your “enability”

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,365 Disability Gamechanger
There wasn’t an antonym for disability so I made one up...

This forum is about talking about our disadvantages which is fine but let’s make a positive thread and talk about what things are you good at i.e. where do you have an advantage?

I’m good at
- driving
- maths / with money ... well it’s easy to manage your money when you don’t have much to manage!!
- following on from the last point I have a good sense of humour

What about you?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm better at pool since I became disabled!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • 66Mustang
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is fun!

My son has a amazing ability to act playful. He can now count up to five independently too. We are working on being able to count up to ten. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @66Mustang   Advantages or positive skills I have but not only for my self but to wards others.

Good business practical sensible common sense. Saved many people from spending extra money on groceries and food shopping especially.

Money savvy business mind and skills used a lot of that to help those of our Community.

Offering tips, tricks, short cuts and ways to cope with cooking the skills and talents to help and guide others.

Knowledge of nutrition, diet and using that to implore others to look at any of that. Qualifications and experience.

Knowledge, experience and abilities to be using my health history to help others. 

Mental health addiction.  Organisations, systems, procedures where to go for help. Other relevant charities, associations and societies.  to help members of our community.

Just others knowledge and expertise consumer advice.

I have  the qualities of a good heart, kindness. Compassion and empathy including sensitivity.

Christian morals and ethics.

Must be others do have a knowledge of Italian Culture, cuisine, a lot of the bits and pieces facts about music and entertainment.

That is it for now I forget my other ones not arrogant here.

Been told embarrassing but there you go.

Interesting, stimulating, charismatic  not self centred, polite and kind.

Funny, humorous, thoughtful.  

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Very hard to follow thespiceman -
    - I'm good at English
    - Medical research- have used this to help my family & the wider community, & to win a friend's medical negligence case
    - Good with computers, both hardware & software
    - I'm a good cook, or so I'm told!
    Used to love driving
    Used to be very good at playing pool when younger; rubbish now!

• brujah81
    brujah81 Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    I have become good at researching, and good at Tapestries and good with commuciating with people
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I am polite and try to help people if I can. One example of this was when I held the doctor open for a man at the drs. He was elderly and took a while to get to the door. He said I didn't think people did that any more and I said I do I was brought up properly. I was always taught that manners cost nothing!

• 66Mustang
    Great posts everyone ;):) I enjoyed reading them.
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    I miss driving these days .....its been a long hard winter stuck in the house ...but I am lucky as there are many others much worse off than me. 
    I did a six year apprenticeship and found that a few years later all the factories closed down . I enjoyed driving so i then trained as a driving instructor , just before my illness struck . Unlucky in that sense but lucky in other ways . I have a lovely wife whom I met at school...we have been married 47 years in May , I have a lovely family and lovely grandchildren  ....what more can I want, or ask for  ? ??
    Good luck to all and may your God go with you ?
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm good at making any social interaction much more awkward than it needed to be... ;) 

I've never really thought about it tbh, but I've got a very 'mechanical' mind, good understanding of how physical things work and can be repaired where necessary, cars are the main one but white goods, electrics, plumbing etc as well.  :) 

I'm also good at parking which seems to be a skill most people lack! :D
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great thread @66Mustang Since becoming disabled I have become a better mother as I now have the time to devote to my child rsther than before holding down a full time job having to rely on breakfast and after school clubs. I may not be able to drive now and just hop (im an amputee) in the car to taxi my son about b ut we do get out and about using taxis and friends. My son is by no means a full time carer but he does help me and this has given him valuable life skills. So life changing as a disability can be there have been some positives 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Great idea for a discussion @66Mustang!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn't have started writing a blog or public speaking if it wasn't for my disability. It's also made me more determined to achieve things.

Love this thread! :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I am confident talking to people.

I can find humour in adversity

I can craft bunting well and make other sewing items

I can see, half hear, smile and dream!

Pollsx

Brightness