Joint claim to single claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Joint claim to single claim

Georgiaj36
Georgiaj36 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
Hi everyone...I have recently separated from partner and we were on a joint ESA support grouo claim in my name...I was wondering what the procedure is in regards to taking partner off claim and changing it to a single claim and will my money be stopped or just the partner taken off? I am already getting frustrated as awaiting to see if my PIP claim is successful or not and this is causing me a lot of stress for my mental health issues and other illnesses...I dont think i can survive with no money coming in as i need money for food to take my pills and travel to appointments for my medical problems...Please help...

Comments

• Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    Hi Georgia your first step is to call the ESA team and register a change of circumstances. 0800 055 6688
      Your money will be adjusted to that of the single rate.  Technically you are only entitled to the single rate from the date of separation but your change of circumstances will apply instantly from the date you  inform them.
  • Georgiaj36
    Hi Ripples...So how much is a single rate support group claim? And how long will it take to sort out and will it be backdated as i cant cope good as it is so anymore stress will make me worse? Thanks
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    Georgia The new rate is  £110.75 plus £16.40 enhanced  premium. The rate will apply immediately. usually what happens is when you ring them to register a change they ask you what the changes are then send you a statement in the post to read and sign. I don't think there will be a long time in between payments but you can clarify that when you speak to them Monday
  • Georgiaj36
    Ok Ripples thankyou for that i just hope the timescale isnt too long....as Im already starting to panic and this causes extreme pain for my panic attacks 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Georgiaj36, you've had some great advice already but just wanted to wish you all the best for your claim- please do come back to us if you have any further questions.
  • caroleann75
    caroleann75 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi I am in a similar situation except the claim was in my ex husband's name I am currently looking for accommodation but have no income as my pip is paid into his bank aswell
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I am in a similar situation except the claim was in my ex husband's name I am currently looking for accommodation but have no income as my pip is paid into his bank aswell

Hi and welcome,

Are you still living with your partner or are you currently living somewhere else?

If you're no longer living together then you'll need to make a claim for Universal Credit because new claims for Income related ESA are no longer possible. If you're unable to work because of a health condition then you'll need a fit note from your GP to start the limited capability for work process off. Once you've claimed you'll receive your first money 5 weeks later.

It can be very difficult to find somewhere to live when claiming benefits because a lot of landlords won't accept those that claim this. I'd advise you to have a search on the internet of your local area to see what landlords do accept those that claim a benefit.

You'll need to contact DWP regarding your PIP claim and change bank details, otherwise it will continue to be paid into your ex's bank account.

Hope this helps, good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @caroleann75, how are you getting on? Please do let us know if we can do anything else to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.