At my witts end — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

At my witts end

julese34
julese34 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Since claiming UC last year my earning have dropped by half and UC say there is nothing they can do about it as what I was awarded was based on my earnings last year..  I'm financially broke and some months carnt even afford to food shop .. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

UC is not based on earnings from a previous year. It's based on your earnings during that months assessment period.

How much you would be entitled to will totally depend on your circumstances. For example, what wages you receive during your assessment period, single under or over 25 or claiming as a couple, have any children, rent or own your own home or live with parents, do you have limited capability for work?

If you don't have a work allowance then your earnings during your assessment period will reduce your UC by 63p for every £1 you earn.

With very little information it's impossible to give any advice. Start with a benefit calculator, if you put all your information in correctly it will tell you what you maybe entitled to. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Or speak to an advice agency for a full benefits check.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Julese66 and a very warm welcome to the community. I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope Poppy's advice has been helpful and please do let us know if we can do anything else. :)
    Scope

• julese34
    I had to have a work capability assessment 2 weeks ago and it was horrible she reduced me to tears... now I'm told I have to wait for a decision to be made and that there is no time scale on this so my question is has anyone on here been through this and if so how long did it take to get  a decision 
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry to hear it wasn't a nice experience for you. These assessments are extremely stressful.

You were advised correctly, there is no timescales to any decision. Yes, lots of people go through exactly the same thing but all you can do is wait for the decision to made and this can take between 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer.

You can request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you by contacting DWP. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. When you do receive take note of the recommendations at the back of the report under LCW and LCWRA recommendations. If it recommendation LCWRA and the decision goes with it then you'll receive an extra £336 per month from the 4th month of your claim, starting from when you sent your first fit note. If the decision is anything else then you won't receive any extra money.

Hopefully you won't be waiting too long.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I hope you hear back soon @julese34. If you do request a copy of the assessment report and need help deciphering it please let us know. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @julese34, how are things going?
    Scope

• julese34
    Hi, I’ve received the report Adrian_Scope and it states that I’m in criteria for LCWRA.. so now it’s the waiting game. It’s almost four weeks since my assessment.. 

Chloe I’ve still not heard anything from DWP and UC say that it will be added to my journal once the decision has been made.
  • poppy123456
    They mostly go with the report. Hopefully a decision won't be too long but there's no timescales. Yes, the letter will be on your journal.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for the update, I really hope you don't have to wait much longer. :)
    Scope

• julese34
    Hi guys, I got my decision letter today and I’ve been awarded LCWRA and it states that if I’m entitled to any money it will be paid from the 3rd month from when I handed my doctors letter in... does this mean they will may me three months back pay?
  • poppy123456
    It will depend when your assessment period is and when you sent your first fit note. This is because there's 3 full assessment period waiting time and because UC is paid in arrears then you receive first payment on the 4th month.
  • julese34
    This is so confusing.. also the amount I’m award with that be deducted from my universal credit.. I was told by someone who works at my local office that it’s not means tested and it will not affect my UC however I have read somewhere that it is means tested 
  • poppy123456
    If you can tell us when you started your claim for UC this will help us know when your assessment period is.

We will also need to know when you sent your first fit note.

UC is a means tested benefit so savings/capital affect the amount you can claim. If you are owed backdated money then this is disregarded for 1 year for means tested benefits.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
    julese34 said:
    I had to have a work capability assessment 2 weeks ago and it was horrible she reduced me to tears... now I'm told I have to wait for a decision to be made and that there is no time scale on this so my question is has anyone on here been through this and if so how long did it take to get  a decision 

• Leigh14
    Hi jules. I’m really sorry that your assessment had you in tears. I’m waiting on one, and extremely concerned, anxiety levels are through the roof. I’ve heard so many awful things about the assessments, which of course don’t help. 
    Do you mind saying how/why it reduced you to tears? I want to be as prepared as I can be. Thankyou
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited February 2020
    Hi @Leigh14. It can be really difficult to talk through your difficulties openly and many people find the assessments stressful. Do you have a date for yours yet?
    I recently attended one with someone and on this occasion found the assessor to be very kind and patient. I know this isn't everyone's experience but it's important to keep in mind you'll always find the people with negative experiences are the most vocal.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Leigh14
    Hi @Leigh14. It can be really difficult to talk through your difficulties openly and many people find the assessments stressful. Do you have a date for yours yet?
    I recently attended one with someone and on this occasion found the assessor to be very kind and patient. I know this isn't everyone's experience but it's important to keep in mind you'll always find the people with negative experiences are the most vocal.
    Hi Adrian. Thankyou for your reply. I haven’t heard anything yet, but assessment form was only sent back last week. Do the assessors get you to do things, or is it just talking through difficulties? What you find difficult on a daily basis, that kind of thing?
    I’ve been looking around on this forum, and mostly I read about tribunals. Not many positive ones really, but I guess you’re right, negative experiences are the most vocal.

Thankyou again

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.